- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Development of a user-friendly and transparent non-linear analysis program for RC walls
- Menegon, Scott J. (Department of Civil and Construction Engineering, Swinburne University of Technology) ;
- Wilson, John L. (Department of Civil and Construction Engineering, Swinburne University of Technology) ;
- Lam, Nelson T.K. (Department of Infrastructure Engineering, University of Melbourne) ;
- Gad, Emad F. (Department of Civil and Construction Engineering, Swinburne University of Technology)
- Received : 2019.09.03
- Accepted : 2020.03.23
- Published : 2020.04.25
Advanced forms of structural design (e.g., displacement-based methods) require knowledge of the non-linear force-displacement behavior of both the overall building and individual lateral load resisting elements, i.e., walls or building cores. Similarly, understanding the non-linear behaviour of the elements in a structure can also allow for a less conservative structural response to be calculated by better understanding the cracked (i.e., effective) properties of the various RC elements. Calculating the non-linear response of an RC section typically involves using 'black box' analysis packages, wherein the user may not be in complete control nor be aware of all the intricate settings and/or decisions behind the scenes. This paper introduces a user-friendly and transparent analysis program for predicting the back-bone force displacement behavior of slender (i.e., flexure controlled) RC walls, building cores or columns. The program has been validated and benchmarked theoretically against both commonly available and widely used analysis packages and experimentally against a database of 16 large-scale RC wall test specimens. The program, which is called WHAM, is written using Microsoft Excel spreadsheets to promote transparency and allow users to further develop or modify to suit individual requirements. The program is available free-of-charge and is intended to be used as an educational tool for structural designers, researchers or students.
Supported by : Australian Research Council(ARC)
- American Concrete Institute (2014), ACI 318-14 Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI.
- Bentz, E. (2000a), Response-2000, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada.
- Bentz, E.C. (2000b), "Sectional analysis of reinforced concrete", Doctor of Philosophy Thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Toronto.
- Bohl, A. and Adebar, P. (2011), "Plastic hinge lengths in high-rise concrete shear walls", ACI Struct. J., 108(2), 148-157.
- Chai, Y.H. and Elayer, D.T. (1999), "Lateral stability of reinforced concrete columns under axial reversed cyclic tension and compression", ACI Struct. J., 96(5), 780-789.
- Dashti, F., Dhakal, R.P. and Pampanin, S. (2017), "An experimental study on out-of-plane deformations of rectangular structural walls subject to in-plane loading", Proceedings of the 16th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Santiago, Chile, January.
- Dazio, A., Beyer, K. and Bachmann, H. (2009), "Quasi-static cyclic tests and plastic hinge analysis of RC structural walls", Eng. Struct., 31(7), 1556-1571. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.02.018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.02.018
- European Committee for Standardization (Cen) (2004), Eurocode 2: Design of Concrete Structures - Part 1-1: General Rules and Rules for Buildings, European Committee for Standardization (CEN), Brussels, Belgium.
- Haro, A.G., Kowalsky, M. and Chai, Y.H. (2019), "Out-of-plane buckling instability limit state for boundary regions of special RC structural walls", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 17(9), 5159-5182. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-019-00667-4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-019-00667-4
- Hoult, R., Goldsworthy, H. and Lumantarna, E. (2018), "Plastic hinge length for lightly reinforced rectangular concrete walls", J. Earthq. Eng., 22(8), 1447-1478. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2017.1286619. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2017.1286619
- Karthik, M.M. and Mander, J.B. (2011), "Stress-block parameters for unconfined and confined concrete based on a unified stress-strain model", J. Struct. Eng., 137(2), 270-273. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000294. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000294
- Kazaz, I. (2013), "Analytical study on plastic hinge length of structural walls", J. Struct. Eng., 139(11), 1938-1950. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000770. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000770
- Kolozvari, K., Biscombe, L., Dashti, F., Dhakal, R.P., Gogus, A., Gullu, M.F., ... & Shegay, A. (2019b), "State-of-the-art in nonlinear finite element modeling of isolated planar reinforced concrete walls", Eng. Struct., 194, 46-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2019.04.097. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2019.04.097
- Kolozvari, K., Kalbasi, K., Orakcal, K., Massone, L.M. and Wallace, J. (2019a), "Shear-flexure-interaction models for planar and flanged reinforced concrete walls", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 17(12), 6391-6417. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-019-00658-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-019-00658-5
- Kolozvari, K., Orakcal, K. and Wallace, J.W. (2015a), "Modeling of cyclic shear-flexure interaction in reinforced concrete structural walls. I: Theory", J. Struct. Eng., 141(5), 4014135. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001059. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001059
- Kolozvari, K., Tran, T.A., Orakcal, K. and Wallace, J.W. (2015b), "Modeling of cyclic shear-flexure interaction in reinforced concrete structural walls. II: Experimental validation", J. Struct. Eng., 141(5), 4014135. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001083. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001059
- Lam, N., Wilson, J. and Lumantarna, E. (2011), "Force-deformation behaviour modelling of cracking reinforced concrete by EXCEL spreadsheets", Comput. Concrete, 8(1), 43-57. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2011.8.1.043. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2011.8.1.043
- Lee, J.H., Jung, C.Y., Woo, T.R. and Cheung, J.H. (2019), "Post-yielding tension stiffening of reinforced concrete members using an image analysis method with a consideration of steel ratios", Adv. Concrete Constr., 7(2), 117-126. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2019.7.2.117. https://doi.org/10.12989/ACC.2019.7.2.117
- Lu, Y. and Henry, R.S. (2017), "Numerical modelling of reinforced concrete walls with minimum vertical reinforcement", Eng Struct., 143, 330-345. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.02.043. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.02.043
- Lu, Y., Henry, R.S., Gultom, R. and Ma, Q.T. (2017), "Cyclic testing of reinforced concrete walls with distributed minimum vertical reinforcement", J. Struct. Eng., 143(5), 04016225. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001723. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001723
- Mander, J.B., Priestley, M.J.N. and Park, R. (1988), "Theoretical stress-strain model for confined concrete", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 114(8), 1827-1849. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1804). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1827)
- Menegon, S.J. (2018), "Displacement behaviour of reinforced concrete walls in regions of lower seismicity", Doctor of Philosophy Thesis, Department of Civil and Construction Engineering, Swinburne University of Technology.
- Menegon, S.J. (2019), WHAM: a User-friendly and Transparent Non-linear Analysis Program for RC Walls and Building Cores, https://downloads.menegon.com.au/1/20190901.
- Menegon, S.J., Wilson, J.L., Lam, N.T.K. and Gad, E.F. (2017), "Experimental testing of reinforced concrete walls in regions of lower seismicity", Bull. NZ Soc. Earthq. Eng., 50(4), 494-503. https://doi.org/10.5459/bnzsee.50.4.494-503.
- Menegon, S.J., Wilson, J.L., Lam, N.T.K. and Gad, E.F. (2019), "Experimental testing of nonductile RC wall boundary elements", ACI Struct. J., 116(6), 213-225, https://doi.org/10.14359/51718008.
- Minafo, G. (2018), "Local buckling of reinforcing steel bars in RC members under compression forces", Comput. Concrete, 22(6), 527-538. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2018.22.6.527. https://doi.org/10.12989/CAC.2018.22.6.527
- Patel, K.A., Chaudhary, S. and Nagpal, A.K. (2016), "A tension stiffening model for analysis of RC flexural members under service load", Comput. Concrete, 17(1), 29-51. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2016.17.1.029. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2016.17.1.029
- Prestressed Concrete Design Consultants Pty Ltd. (2007), RAPT, Prestressed Concrete Design Consultants Pty Ltd., Alexandra Headland, Australia.
- Priestley, M.J.N., Calvi, G.M. and Kowalsky, M.J. (2007), Displacement-Based Seismic Design of Structures, IUSS Press, Pavia, Italy.
- Rosso, A., Almeida, J.P. and Beyer, K. (2016), "Stability of thin reinforced concrete walls under cyclic loads: state-of-the-art and new experimental findings", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 14(2), 455-484. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-015-9827-x. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-015-9827-x
- Standards Australia (2018), AS 3600:2018 Concrete Structures, Standards Australia Limited, Sydney, NSW.
- Standards New Zealand (2006), NZS 3101:Part 1:2006 Concrete Structures Standard Part 1 - The Design of Concrete Structures, Standards New Zealand, Wellington.
- Thomsen, J.H. and Wallace, J.W. (2004), "Displacement-based design of slender reinforced concrete structural walls-Experimental verification", J. Struct. Eng., 130(4), 618-630. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:4(618). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:4(618)
- Tran, T.A. and Wallace, J.W. (2015), "Cyclic testing of moderate-aspect-ratio reinforced concrete structural walls", ACI Struct. J., 112(6), 653-665.
- Tripathi, M., Dhakal, R.P. and Dashti, F. (2019), "Bar buckling in ductile RC walls with different boundary zone detailing: Experimental investigation", Eng. Struct., 198, 109544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2019.109544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2019.109544