- Volume 33 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of dietary supplementation with Pediococcus acidilactici ZPA017 on reproductive performance, fecal microbial flora and serum indices in sows during late gestation and lactation
- Liu, Hui (Institute of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine, Beijing Academy of Agriculture and Forestry Sciences) ;
- Wang, Sixin (Institute of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine, Beijing Academy of Agriculture and Forestry Sciences) ;
- Zhang, Dongyan (Institute of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine, Beijing Academy of Agriculture and Forestry Sciences) ;
- Wang, Jing (Institute of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine, Beijing Academy of Agriculture and Forestry Sciences) ;
- Zhang, Wei (Institute of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine, Beijing Academy of Agriculture and Forestry Sciences) ;
- Wang, Yamin (Institute of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine, Beijing Academy of Agriculture and Forestry Sciences) ;
- Ji, Haifeng (Institute of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine, Beijing Academy of Agriculture and Forestry Sciences)
- Received : 2018.10.10
- Accepted : 2019.04.20
- Published : 2020.01.01
Objective: This study was conducted to determine the effects of dietary supplementation with Pediococcus acidilactici (P. acidilactici) ZPA017 as a probiotic on reproductive performance, fecal microbial flora and serum indices in sows during late gestation and lactation. Methods: A total of 94 sows (Large White×Yorkshire, average 4.50 parities) were randomly allotted to two dietary treatments: control diet and the diet supplemented with P. acidilactici ZPA017 (2.40×109 colony-forming unit/kg of diets). The study started at d 90 of gestation and conducted until d 28 of lactation. Results: Compared to sows fed the control diet, supplementation of P. acidilactici ZPA017 increased the number of weaning piglets, weaning weight of litter and piglets, survival rate of piglets at weaning (p<0.05), and decreased diarrhea rate of piglets in lactation (p<0.05). Dietary P. acidilactici ZPA017 increased fecal Lactobacillus populations (p = 0.030) and reduced fecal Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus populations (p<0.05) of sows at weaning. Moreover, the supplementation of P. acidilactici ZPA017 increased serum concentrations of immunoglobulin G, immunoglobulin A and total protein (p<0.05), while decreased serum haptoglobin concentration and alanine aminotransferase activity (p<0.05) of sows at weaning. Conclusion: Administration of P. acidilactici ZPA017 in diets during late gestation and lactation had positive effects on the reproductive performance, intestinal microflora balance and immunity of sows.
Supported by : Youth Foundation of Beijing Academy of Agriculture and Forestry Sciences
- Maxwell CV, Combs GE, Knabe DA, Kornegay ET, Noland PR. Effect of dietary chlortetracycline during breeding and (or) farrowing and lactation on reproductive performance of sows: a cooperative study. J Anim Sci 1994;72:3169-76. https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.72123169x https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.72123169x
- Kyriakis SC, Vassilopoulos V, Demade I, Kissels W, Polizopoulou Z, Milner CK. The effect of virginiamycin on sow and litter performance. Anim Prod 1992;55:431-6. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100021139
- Kantas D, Vassilopoulos V, Kyriakis SC, Saoulidis K. A dose titration study on the effect of virginiamycin on gilt/sow and piglet performance. J Vet Med A 1998;45:525-33. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0442.1998.tb00856.x
- Fuller R. Probiotics in man and animals. J Appl Bacteriol 1989;66:365-78. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1989.tb05105.x
- Bohmer BM, Kramer W, Roth-Maier DA. Dietary probiotic supplementation and resulting effects on performance, health status, and microbial characteristics of primiparous sows. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr 2006;90:309-15. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2005.00601.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2005.00601.x
- Alexopoulos C, Georgoulakis IE, Tzivara A, Kritas SK, Siochu A, Kyriakis SC. Field evaluation of the efficacy of a probiotic containing Bacillus licheniformis and Bacillus subtilis spores, on the health status and performance of sows and their litters. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr 2004;88:381-92. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2004.00492.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2004.00492.x
- Castex M, Lemaire P, Wabete N, Chim L. Effect of probiotic Pediococcus acidilactici on antioxidant defences and oxidative stress of Litopenaeus stylirostris under Vibrio nigripulchritudo challenge. Fish Shellfish Immun 2010;28:622-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsi.2009.12.024
- Lessard M, Dupuis M, Gagnon N, et al. Administration of Pediococcus acidilactici or Saccharomyces cerevisiae boulardii modulates development of porcine mucosal immunity and reduces intestinal bacterial translocation after Escherichia coli challenge. J Anim Sci 2009;87:922-34. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-0919 https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-0919
- NRC. Nutrient requirements of swine (11th Ed.). Washington, DC, USA: National Academy Press; 2012.
- Wang YZ, Shan TZ, Xu ZR, Feng J, Wang ZQ. Effects of the lactoferrin (LF) on growth performance, intestinal microflora and morphology of weanling pigs. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2007;135:263-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.07.013 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.07.013
- Choi JY, Kim JS, Ingale SL, et al. Effect of potential multimicrobe probiotic product processed by high drying temperature and antibiotic on performance of weanling pigs. J Anim Sci 2011;89:1795-804. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2794 https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2794
- Giang HH, Viet TQ, Ogle B, Lindberg JE. Growth performance, digestibility, gut environment and health status in weaned piglets fed a diet supplemented with potentially probiotic complexes of lactic acid bacteria. Livest Sci 2010;129:95-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2010.01.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2010.01.010
- Upadhaya SD, Kim SC, Valientes RA, Kim IH. The effect of Bacillus-based feed additive on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, fecal gas emission, and pen cleanup characteristics of growing-finishing pigs. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2015;28:999-1005. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0066 https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0066
- Yirga H. The use of probiotics in animal nutrition. J Probiot Health 2015;3:132. https://doi.org/10.4172/2329-8901.1000132
- Alexopoulos C, Karagiannidis A, Kritas SK, Boscos C, Georgoulakis IE, Kyriakis SC. Field evaluation of a bioregulator containing live Bacillus cereus spores on health status and performance of sows and their litters. J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med 2001:48:137-45. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0442.2001.00342.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0442.2001.00342.x
- Taras D, Vahjen W, Macha M, Simon O. Response of performance characteristics and fecal consistency to long-lasting dietary supplementation with the probiotic strain Bacillus cereus var. toyoi to sows and piglets. Arch Anim Nutr 2005;59:405-17. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390500353168 https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390500353168
- Zanello G, Meurens F, Serreau D, et al. Effects of dietary yeast strains on immunoglobulin in colostrum and milk of sows. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 2013;152:20-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetimm.2012.09.023 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetimm.2012.09.023
- Kim SW, Brandherm M, Freeland M, Newton B, Cook D, Yoon I. Effects of yeast culture supplementation to gestation and lactation diets on growth of nursing piglets. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2008;21:1011-4. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008. 70438 https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008.70438
- Taras D, Vahjen W, Macha M, Simon O. Performance, diarrhea incidence, and occurrence of Escherichia coli virulence genes during long-term administration of a probiotic Enterococcus faecium strain to sows and piglets. J Anim Sci 2006;84:608-17. https://doi.org/10.2527/2006.843608x https://doi.org/10.2527/2006.843608x
- Parvez S, Malik KA, Ah Kang S, Kim HY. Probiotics and their fermented food products are beneficial for health. J Appl Microbiol 2006;100:1171-85. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2006.02963.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2006.02963.x
- Heyman M, Menard S. Probiotic microorganisms: how they affect intestinal pathophysiology. Cell Mol Life Sci 2002;59:1151-65. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00018-002-8494-7
- Brashears MM, Jaroni D, Trimble J. Isolation, selection, and characterization of lactic acid bacteria for a competitive exclusion product to reduce shedding of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in cattle. J Food Prot 2003;66:355-63. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-66.3.355 https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-66.3.355
- Scharek L, Guth J, Reiter K, et al. Influence of a probiotic Enterococcus faecium strain on development of the immune system of sows and piglets. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 2005;105:151-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetimm.2004.12.022 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetimm.2004.12.022
- Pollmann DS. Probiotics in pig diets. In: Haresign DJA, editor. Recent advances in animal nutrition. London, UK: Butterworth-Heinemann; 1986. pp. 193-205.
- Christensen HR, Frokiaer H, Pestka JJ. Lactobacilli differentially modulate expression of cytokines and maturation surface markers in murine dendritic cells. J Immunol 2002;168:171-8. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.168.1.171 https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.168.1.171
- Schierack P, Wieler LH, Taras D, et al. Bacillus cereus var. toyoi enhanced systemic immune response in piglets. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 2007;118:1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetimm.2007.03.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetimm.2007.03.006
- Wheeler MB, Bleck GT, Donovan SM. Transgenic alteration of sow milk to improve piglet growth and health. Reprod Suppl 2001;58:313-24.
- Lauridsen C. Evaluation of the effect of increasing dietary vitamin E in combination with different fat sources on performance, humoral immune responses and antioxidant status of weaned pigs. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2010;158:85-94. https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2010.03.015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2010.03.015
- Lee IK, Kye YC, Kim G, et al. Stress, nutrition, and intestinal immune responses in pigs - a review. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2016;29:1075-82. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0118 https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0118
- Wang J, Ji HF, Hou CL, et al. Effects of Lactobacillus johnsonii XS4 supplementation on reproductive performance, gut environment, and blood biochemical and immunological index in lactating sows. Livest Sci 2014;164:96-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2014.03.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2014.03.008
- Sanchez B, Gueimonde M, Pena AS, Bernoda D. Intestinal microbiota as modulators of the immune system. J Immunol Res 2015;2015:Article ID 159094. https://dx.doi.org/10.1155/ 2015/159094
- Jang YD, Kang KW, Piao LG, et al. Effects of live yeast supplementation to gestation and lactation diets on reproductive performance, immunological parameters and milk composition in sows. Livest Sci 2013;152:167-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2012.12.022 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2012.12.022
- Bourne FJ, Curtis J. The transfer of immunoglobins IgG, IgA and IgM from serum to colostrum and milk in the sow. Immunology 1973;24:157-62.
- Salmon H, Berri M, Gerdts V, Meurens F. Humoral and cellular factors of maternal immunity in swine. Dev Comp Immunol 2009;33:384-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dci.2008.07.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dci.2008.07.007
- Le Dividich J, Rooke JA, Herpin P. Nutritional and immunological importance of colostrum for the new-born pig. J Agric Sci 2005;143:469-85. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002185960 5005642 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859605005642
- Heegaard PMH, Klausen J, Nielsen JP, et al. The porcine acute phase response to infection with Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae. Haptoglobin, C-reactive protein, major acute phase protein and serum amyloid A protein are sensitive indicators of infection. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 1998;119:365-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-0491(97)00 362-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-0491(97)00362-3
- Eckersall PD. Acute phase proteins as markers of infection and inflammation: monitoring animal health, animal welfare and food safety. Irish Vet J 2000;53:307-11.
- Petersen HH, Nielsen JP, Heegaard PHM. Application of acute phase protein measurements in veterinary clinical chemistry. Vet Res 2004;35:163-87. https://doi.org/10.1051/vetres:2004002 https://doi.org/10.1051/vetres:2004002
- Štukelj M, Valencak Z, Krsnik M, Svete AN. The effect of the combination of acids and tannin in diet on the performance and selected biochemical, haematological and antioxidant enzyme parameters in grower pigs. Acta Vet Scand 2010;52:19. https://doi.org/10.1186/1751-0147-52-19 https://doi.org/10.1186/1751-0147-52-19
- Lowrey RS, Pond WG, Barnes RH, Krook L, Loosli JK. Influence of caloric level and protein quality on the manifestations of protein deficiency in the young pig. J Nutr 1962;78:245-52. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/78.2.245 https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/78.2.245
- Bajagai YS, Klieve AV, Dart PJ, Bryden WL. Probiotics in animal nutrition - production, impact and regulation. In: Makkar HPS, editor. FAO animal production and health paper No. 179. Rome, Italy: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nation; 2016.
- Johnston DE. Special considerations in interpreting liver function tests. Am Fam Physician 1999;59:2223-30.
- Hlatini VA, Chimonyo M. Nutritionally-related blood metabolites and liver enzymes in growing pigs fed on Acacia tortilis treated with polyethylene glycol. Livest Sci 2016;187:158-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2016.03.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2016.03.011