- Volume 33 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Sensory profile and technological characterization of boneless dry-cured ham with lactulose added as a prebiotic
- Gomes, Hewerton Barbosa (Food Science Department, Federal University of Lavras (UFLA)) ;
- Rodrigues, Lorena Mendes (Food Science Department, Federal University of Lavras (UFLA)) ;
- Massingue, Armando Abel (Food Science Department, Federal University of Lavras (UFLA)) ;
- Lima, Italo Abreu (Food Science Department, Federal University of Lavras (UFLA)) ;
- Ramos, Alcineia de Lemos Souza (Food Science Department, Federal University of Lavras (UFLA)) ;
- Ramos, Eduardo Mendes (Food Science Department, Federal University of Lavras (UFLA))
- Received : 2019.02.25
- Accepted : 2019.05.20
- Published : 2020.02.01
Objective: This study investigates the technological and sensory profile of boneless dry-cured ham with different contents of lactulose added as a prebiotic ingredient. Methods: In addition to the control samples (without the addition of lactulose), three treatments were formulated to contain 2%, 4%, or 6% lactulose. Technological (lactulose content, instrumental color and texture profile analysis) and sensory (acceptance and check-all-thatapplies tests) analyses were performed on the final product. Results: The lactulose content in the finished product (1.86%±0.23%, 3.16%±0.18%, and 2.51%±1.35%) was lower than the lactulose originally added (2%, 4%, and 6%, respectively). The addition of 4% and 6% lactulose made (p<0.05) the products darker (lower L⋆) and redder (lower h) with higher hardness and chewiness values, when compared to control samples. The additions of 2% and 4% lactulose reduce the appearance acceptability of the products, but overall the treatments were well accepted. Conclusion: The use of up to 4% lactulose as a prebiotic in the production of boneless dry-cured hams provides an alternative to improving its nutritional value with little alteration in the technological characteristics and still meeting the sensory characteristics desired by consumers.
Supported by : Fundacao de Amparo a Pesquisa do Estado de Minas Gerais (FAPEMIG), Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Cientifico e Tecnologico (CNPq)
- Adebola OO, Corcoran O, Morgan WA. Synbiotics: the impact of potential prebiotics inulin, lactulose and lactobionic acid on the survival and growth of lactobacilli probiotics. J Funct Foods 2014;10:75-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2014.05.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2014.05.010
- Rolim PM. Development of prebiotic food products and health benefits. Food Sci Technol (Campinas) 2015;35:3-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/1678-457X.6546 https://doi.org/10.1590/1678-457X.6546
- Coelho SR, Soares NC, Oliveira BEF, et al. Elaboration of "salaminho" fermented sausage added with probiotic (in Portuguese), in XXV Brazilian Congress of Food Science and Technology, CBCTA, Ed. sbCTA, Gramado, RS, Brazil; 2016. p. 6.
- Oliveira CA, Massingue AA, Moura APR, Fontes PR, Ramos AL, Ramos EM. Restructured low-fat cooked ham containing liquid whey fortified with lactulose. J Sci Food Agric 2018; 98:807-16. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.8529 https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.8529
- Lima IA, Gomes HB, Ramos ALS, Piccoli RH, Ramos EM. Physical, chemical and microbiological characterization of deboned dry-cured ham with added lactulose (in Portuguese). Braz J Food Technol [online] 2017;20:e2016028. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/1981-6723.2816
- Coelho SR, Lima IA, Martins MI, Benevenuto Jr. AA, Ramos AL, Ramos EM. Application of Lactobacillus paracasei LPC02 and lactulose as a potential symbiotic system in the manufacture of dry-fermented sausage. LWT-Food Sci Technol 2019; 102:254-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2018.12.045 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2018.12.045
- Aider M, Halleux D. Isomerization of lactose and lactulose production: review. Trends Food Sci Technol 2007;18:356-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2007.03.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2007.03.005
- Tungland BC, Meyer D. Nondigestible oligo- and polysaccharides (dietary fiber): their physiology and role in human health and food. Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf 2002;1:90-109. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2002.tb00009.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2002.tb00009.x
- Toldra F, Flores M. The role of muscle proteases and lipases in flavor development during the processing of dry-cured ham. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 1998;38:331-52. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408699891274237 https://doi.org/10.1080/10408699891274237
- Romero de Avila MD, Hoz L, Ordonez JA, Cambero MI. Dry-cured ham restructured with fibrin. Food Chem 2014; 159:519-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.03.051 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.03.051
- Costa MR, Bergamin Filho W, Cipolli KMVAB, Silveira ETF, Felicio PE. Sensory profile and acceptance of dry-cured hams produced by traditional and accelerated methods (in Portuguese). Food Sci Technol (Campinas) 2007;27:170-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0101-20612007000100030 https://doi.org/10.1590/S0101-20612007000100030
- Bergamin Filho W, Costa MdR, Felicio PEd, Silveira ETF. Accelerated processing method for dry-cured ham (in Portuguese). Food Sci Technol (Campinas) 2010;30:494-500. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0101-20612010000200030 https://doi.org/10.1590/S0101-20612010000200030
- Palhares PC, Dutra MP, Ramos EM, Ramos ALS, Perez JRO, Gomide LAM. Physico-chemical characterization of dehydrated, cured and desiccated lamb leg elaborated with glucono delta-lactone (in Portuguese), in VI Brazilian Congress of Meat Science and Technology, Ed. ITAL/CTC, Aguas de Sao Pedro, SP, Brazil; 2011. p. 4.
- Romero de Avila MD, Ordonez JA, de la Hoz L, Herrero AM, Cambero MI. Microbial transglutaminase for cold-set binding of unsalted/salted pork models and restructured dry ham. Meat Sci 2010;84:747-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.11.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.11.011
- Gaspar ALC, de Goes-Favoni SP. Action of microbial transglutaminase (MTGase) in the modification of food proteins: a review. Food Chem 2015;171:315-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.09.019 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.09.019
- Brazil. Ministry of Health (MS), National Health Surveillance Agency (ANVISA). 54, 12 november 2012. Legal rule regarding the Technical Regulation on Complementary Nutrition Information (in Portuguese). Brasilia, Brazil: Diario Oficial [da] Republica Federativa do Brasil; 2012. 1, p. 4.
- Zhang Z, Wang H, Yang R, Jiang X. A novel spectrophotometric method for quantitative determination of lactulose in food industries. Int J Food Sci Technol 2010;45:258-64. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2009.02129.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2009.02129.x
- Ramos EM, Gomide LAM. Meat quality assessment: fundamentals and methodologies (in Portuguese). Vicosa, MG, Brazil: Editora UFV; 2017.
- Ares G, Deliza R, Barreiro C, Gimenez A, Gambaro A. Comparison of two sensory profiling techniques based on consumer perception. Food Qual Prefer 2010;21:417-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2009.10.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2009.10.006
- Jorge EC, Mendes ACG, Auriema BE, et al. Application of a check-all-that-apply question for evaluating and characterizing meat products. Meat Sci 2015;100:124-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2014.10.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2014.10.002
- Nunes CA, Bastos SC, Pinheiro ACM, Pimenta CJ, Pimenta MESG. Relating consumer acceptance to descriptive attributes by three-way external preference mapping obtained by parallel factor analysis (PARAFAC). J Sens Stud 2012;27:209-16. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-459X.2012.00387.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-459X.2012.00387.x
- Elmore JR, Heymann H, Johnson J, Hewett JE. Preference mapping: relating acceptance of "creaminess" to a descriptive sensory map of a semi-solid. Food Qual Prefer 1999;10:465-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-3293(99)00046-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-3293(99)00046-4
- Brazil. Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Food Supply (MAPA) Secretariat of Agricultural and Livestock Defense (SDA). 22, 31 july 2000. Legal rule approving the Technical Regulations on the Identity and Quality of coppa, jerked beef, Parma type dry-cured ham, dry-cured ham, salami, salaminho, German type salami, Calabrian type salami, Friolan type salami, Napoli type salami, Hamburg type salami, Italian type salami, Milano salami, colonial sausage and pepperoni (in Portuguese). Brasilia, Brazil: Diario Oficial [da] Republica Federativa do Brasil; 2000, 1, p. 17-8.
- Fernandez-Salguero J. Conservation of meat products by application of combined factors: Spanish intermediate and high wetland products (in Spanish). Rev Esp Cien Tec Ali 1995;35:233-46.
- Saarela M, Hallamaa K, Mattila-Sandholm T, Matto J. The effect of lactose derivatives lactulose, lactitol and lactobionic acid on the functional and technological properties of potentially probiotic Lactobacillus strains. Int Dairy J 2003;13:291-302. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0958-6946(02)00158-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0958-6946(02)00158-9
- Pennacchia C, Vaughan EE, Villani F. Potential probiotic Lactobacillus strains from fermented sausages: Further investigations on their probiotic properties. Meat Sci 2006;73:90-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.10.019 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.10.019
- Brazil. Ministry of Health (MS), National Health Surveillance Agency (ANVISA). 360, 23 december 2003. Legal rule regarding the Technical Regulation on Nutrition Labeling of Packaged Foods (in Portuguese). Brasilia, Brazil: Diario Oficial [da] Republica Federativa do Brasil; 2003, 1, p. 2.
- Schuster-Wolff-Buhring R, Fischer L, Hinrichs J. Production and physiological action of the disaccharide lactulose. Int Dairy J 2010;20:731-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2010. 05.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2010.05.004
- Terada A, Hara H, Kataoka M, Mitsuoka T. Effect of lactulose on the composition and metabolic activity of the human faecal flora. Microb Ecol Health Dis 1992;5:43-50. https://doi.org/10.3109/08910609209141303 https://doi.org/10.3109/08910609209141303
- Ares G, Barreiro C, Deliza R, Gimenez ANA, Gambaro A. Application of a Check-All-That-Aplly question to the development of chocolate milk desserts. 2010;25:67-86. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-459X.2010.00290.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-459X.2010.00290.x
- Parrish FW, Talley FB, Ross KD, Clark J, Phillips JG. Sweetness of lactulose relative to sucrose. J Food Sci 1979;44:813-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1979.tb08509.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1979.tb08509.x