- Volume 33 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Genetics of heifer reproductive traits in Japanese Black cattle
- Setiaji, Asep (United Graduate School of Agricultural Sciences, Kagoshima University) ;
- Oikawa, Takuro (United Graduate School of Agricultural Sciences, Kagoshima University)
- Received : 2019.02.08
- Accepted : 2019.05.07
- Published : 2020.02.01
Objective: The objective of this study was to identify environmental factors strongly associated with and to estimate genetic parameters of reproductive traits in Japanese Black heifers. Methods: Data included reproduction records of Japanese Black heifers born between 2004 and 2014. First service non-return rate (NRR) to 56 days from first to successful insemination (FS), number of services per conception (IN), age at first calving (AFC) and gestation length were analyzed with the use of the general linear model. Genetic parameters were estimated with the use of the univariate animal model of the residual maximum likelihood. Results: Averages of reproductive traits over eleven years were assessed, and the effects of farm, year, month, artificial insemination technician and interaction of farm×year on the traits were determined. Estimated heritability of FS was very low and that of AFC was higher than that of the other traits. A close genetic relation was observed among NRR, IN, and FS; however, their heritabilities were very low. AFC shows favorable genetic correlation with IN and FS. Conclusion: Low heritabilities of most reproductive traits in Japanese Black heifers are strongly influenced by farm management practices, and that large residual variances make genetic evaluation difficult. Among the reproductive traits, AFC is potentially more useful for genetic improvement of heifer reproductive traits because it has high heritability and favorable genetic correlations with IN and FS.
- Grossi DA, Venturini GC, Paz CCP, et al. Genetic associations between age at first calving and heifer body weight and scrotal circumference in Nelore cattle. J Anim Breed Genet 2009;126: 387-93. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.2008.00791.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.2008.00791.x
- Eler JP, Bignardi AB, Ferraz JBS, Santana Jr JL. Genetic relationships among traits related to reproduction and growth of Nelore females. Theriogenology 2014;82:708-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2014.06.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2014.06.001
- Liu Z, Jaitner J, Reinhardt F, Pasman E, Rensing S, Reents R. Genetic evaluation of fertility traits of dairy cattle using a multiple-trait animal model. J Dairy Sci 2008;91:4333-43. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1029 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1029
- Abe H, Masuda Y, Suzuki M. Relationships between reproductive traits of heifers and cows and yield traits for Holsteins in Japan. J Dairy Sci 2009;92:4055-62. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1896 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1896
- Tiezzi F, Maltecca C, Cecchinato A, Penasa M, Bittante G. Genetic parameters for fertility of dairy heifers and cows at different parities and relationships with production traits in first lactation. J Dairy Sci 2012;95:7355-62. https://doi.org/10. 3168/jds.2012-5775 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-5775
- Morris CA, Wilson JA, Bennett GL, Cullen NG, Hickey SM, Hunter JC. Genetic parameters for growth, puberty, and beef cow reproductive traits in a puberty selection experiment. NZ J Agric Res 2000;43:83-91. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288233.2000.9513411 https://doi.org/10.1080/00288233.2000.9513411
- Gutierrez JP, Alvarez I, Fernandez I, Royo LJ, Diez J, Goyache F. Genetic relationships between calving date, calving interval, age at first calving and type traits in beef cattle. Livest Prod Sci 2002;78:215-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(02) 00100-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(02)00100-8
- Martinez-Velazquez G, Gregory KE, Bennett GL, Van Vleck LD. Genetic relationships between scrotal circumference and female reproductive traits. J Anim Sci 2003;81:395-401. https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.812395x https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.812395x
- Bolacali M, Ozturk Y. Effect of non-genetic factors on reproductive traits in simmental cows reared in subtropical climate condition. J Anim Plant Sci 2017;27:1420-5.
- Liu A, Lund MS, Wang Y, et al. Variance components and correlations of female fertility traits in Chinese Holstein population. J Anim Sci Biotechnol 2017;8:56. https://doi.org/10. 1186/s40104-017-0189-x https://doi.org/10.1186/s40104-017-0189-x
- SAS. Sas/Stat 9.3. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Inst Inc; 2011.
- Gilmour AR, Gogel BJ, Cullis BR, Welham SJ, Thompson R. ASReml user guide release 4.1 Structural Specification. Hemel Hempstead, UK: VSN International Ltd; 2015.
- Jamrozik J, Fatehi J, Kistemaker GJ, Schaeffer LR. Estimates of genetic parameters for Canadian Holstein female reproduction traits. J Dairy Sci 2005;88:2199-208. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72895-2 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72895-2
- Haer L de. Estimation of genetic parameters of fertility traits, for virgin heifers in The Netherlands. In: Proceedings of the 2013 Interbull Meeting; 2013. no. 47.
- Yague G, Goyache F, Becerra J, Moreno C, Sanchez L, Altarriba J. Bayesian estimates of genetic parameters for pre-conception traits, gestation length and calving interval in beef cattle. Anim Reprod Sci 2009;114:72-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anire prosci.2008.09.015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anireprosci.2008.09.015
- Sasaki Y, Uematsu M, Kitahara G, Osawa T. Reproductive performance of Japanese Black cattle: Association with herd size, season, and parity in commercial cow-calf operations. Theriogenology 2016;86:2156-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2016.07.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2016.07.007
- Baco S, Harada H, Fukuhara R. Genetic relationships of body measurements at registration to a couple of reproductive traits in Japanese Black cows. Anim Sci Technol (Jpn)1998;69:1-7. https://doi.org/10.2508/chikusan.69.1
- Oyama K, Katsuta T, Anada K, Mukai F. Heritability and repeatability estimates for reproductive traits of Japanese Black cows. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2002;15:1680-5. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1680 https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1680
- Uchida H, Kobayasi J, Inoue T, Suzuki K, Oikawa T. Current level of reproductive performances in Japanese Black cows. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2002;15:1098-102. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1098 https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1098
- Oikawa T. Effect of heat stress on age at first calving of Japanese Black cows in Okinawa. Anim Sci J 2017;88:439-44. https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12669 https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12669
- M'Hamdi N, Aloulou R, Brar SK, Bouallegue M, Hamouda MB. Phenotypic and genetic parameters of reproductive traits in Tunisian Holstein cows. Biotechnol Anim Husb 2010;26: 297-307. https://doi.org/10.2298/BAH1006297M https://doi.org/10.2298/BAH1006297M
- Dargatz DA, Dewell GA, Mortimer RG. Calving and calving management of beef cows and heifers on cow-calf operations in the United States. Theriogenology 2004;61:997-1007. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(03)00145-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(03)00145-6
- Bormann JM, Totir LR, Kachman SD, Fernando RL, Wilson DE. Pregnancy rate and first-service conception rate in Angus heifers. J Anim Sci 2006;84:2022-5. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-615 https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-615
- Guo G, Guo X, Wang Y, et al. Estimation of genetic parameters of fertility traits in Chinese Holstein cattle. Can J Anim Sci 2014;94:281-5. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas2013-113 https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas2013-113
- Kadarmideen HN, Thompson R, Simm G. Linear and threshold model genetic parameters for disease, fertility and milk production in dairy cattle. Anim Sci 2000;71:411-9. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800055338 https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800055338
- Boettcher PJ, Jairath LK, Dekkers JCM. Comparison of methods for genetic evaluation of sires for survival of their daughters in the first three lactations. J Dairy Sci 1999;82:1034-44. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(99)75324-5 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(99)75324-5
- Luo MF, Boettcher PJ, Schaeffer LR, Dekkers JC. Bayesian inference for categorical traits with an application to variance component estimation. J Dairy Sci 2001;84:694-704. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74524-9 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74524-9
- Ibi T, Kahi AK, Hirooka H. Genetic parameters for gestation length and the relationship with birth weight and carcass traits in Japanese Black cattle. Anim Sci J 2008;79:297-302. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2008.00530.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2008.00530.x
- Bernardes PA, Grossi DA, Savegnago RP, et al. Estimates of genetic parameters and genetic trends for reproductive traits and weaning weight in tabapua cattle. J Anim Sci 2015;93: 5175-85. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2015-9212 https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2015-9212
- Ghiasi H, Pakdel A, Nejati-Javaremi A, et al. Genetic variance components for female fertility in Iranian Holstein cows. Livest Sci 2011;139:277-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci. 2011.01.020 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2011.01.020