- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Differences in Environmental Perception and Satisfaction Factor of Park between Young Adults and Old Adults
청장년층과 노년층의 공원환경 인식 및 만족 요인 차이 분석
- Lee, Woo-Sung (Division of Urban Landscape, Daegu University)
- 이우성 (대구대학교 도시.조경학부)
- Received : 2019.12.16
- Accepted : 2020.01.03
- Published : 2020.02.29
The purpose of this study is to examine the differences of use behavior and environmental perception of a park and to analyze the influence of environmental perception factors on park satisfaction among 7 parks in Suseong-gu, Daegu. The data from the 255 questionnaires of young adults (30-59) and old adults (more than 60) who use the park more than once a week were used for the analysis. In terms of park use behavior, young adults used the park for walking and jogging mainly on weekday evenings, while old adults used the park for walking and rest mainly during weekday daytimes. In addition, old adults used the park more times a week than young adults, and spent more time in the park. In the analysis of the environmental perception of the park, similar results were found in both age groups but overall, old adults were more satisfied with the park environment than the young adults. As a result of analyzing the influence of environmental perception factors, it was determined that park satisfaction in young adults has a significant influence on 'use amenity', 'use convenience', 'facility suitability', and 'landscape diversity' in this order. On the other hand, park satisfaction for old adults has an influence on 'use amenity', 'facility suitability', and 'use convenience' in this order. The findings of this study can be used as an effective basic data for future park planning considering age groups.
Supported by : 대구대학교
- Baek, S. K., Park, K. H., 2014, Associations between characteristics of green spaces, physical activity and health, Journal of the Korea Institute of Landscape Architecture, 42(3), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.9715/KILA.2014.42.3.001
- Bedimo-Rung, A. L., Mowen, A. J., Cohen, D. A., 2005, The significance of parks to physical activity and public health, Am J. Prev. Med., 28, 2S2, 159-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2004.10.024
- Cohen, D. A., Ashwood, J. S., Scott, M. M., Overton, A., Evenson, K. R., Staten, L. K., Porter, D., Mckenzie, T. L., Catellier, D., 2006, Public parks and physical activity among adolescent girls, Pediatrics, 118(5), 1381-1389. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2006-1226
- Cohen, D. A., Mckenzie, T. L., Sehgal, A., Williamson, S., Golinelli, D., Lure, N., 2007, Contribution of public parks to physical activity, Am. J. Public Health, 97(3), 509-514. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2005.072447
- Coombes, E. A., Jones, P., Hillsdon, M., 2010, The relationship of physical activity and overweight to objectively measured green space accessibility and use, Soc. Sci. Med., 70, 816-822. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.11.020
- Daegu, 2014, Current State of Park and Recreational Park, Daegu, South Korea.
- Daegu, 2015, Daegu statistical annual report in 2015, Daegu, South Korea.
- Giles-Corti, B., Donovan, R. J., 2002, The relative influence of individual, social and physical environment determinants of physical activity, Soc. Sci. Med., 54(12), 1793-1812. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(01)00150-2
- Hillsdon, M., Panter, J., Foster, V., Jones, A., 2006, The relationship between access and quality of urban green space with population physical activity, Public Health, 120, 1127-1132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2006.10.007
- Kaczynski, A. T., Potearka, L. R., Saelens, B. E., 2008, Association of park size, distance, and features with physical activity in neighborhood parks, Am. J. Public Health, 98(8), 1451-1456. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2007.129064
- Kim, H. B., Lee, M. A., Hong, S. J., 2012, Analysis on provision standards for urban infrastructure based on demand characteristics of gender and cohort, Korea Planners Association, 47(3), 123-131.
- Kim, S. A., Jung, H. S., 2019, The determinants of life satisfaction in different age groups and their policy implications, Health and Welfare Policy Forum, 270, 95-104.
- Kim, S. H., 2011, A Study of current status and improvement proposals for outdoor exercise equipments in neighborhood park, Master Thesis, Kyunghee University, Yongin, South Korea.
- Larsen, L., Adams, J., Deal, B., Kweon, B. S., Tyler, E., 1998, Plants in the workplace: The effects of plant density on productivity, attitudes, and perceptions, Environment and Behavior, 30(3), 261-281. https://doi.org/10.1177/001391659803000301
- Lee, B. J., 2017, A Study of the use behavior and satisfaction of green in urban parks, Master Thesis, Jeonbuk National University, Jeonju, South Korea.
- Lee, M., 2012, Analysis on supply standards for urban infrastructure based on demand for gender and cohort, Ph.D. Dissertation, Hanyang University, Seoul, South Korea.
- Lee, S., 2019, A study on activity friendly design of park for a healthy life, Ph.D. Thesis, Kyungpook National University, Deagu, South Korea.
- Lee, S. G., Lee, W. S., Beak, S. K., Jung, S. G., Park, K. H., 2013, The influence of neighborhood-based physical environment on park usage for physical activity, Journal of Korea Planners Association, 48(7), 5-21.
- Lee, W. S., 2018, Correlation between perception of the physical environment and park use, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, 1, 773-782.
- Lee, W. S., Jung, S. G., Park, Y. E., 2016, The effect of neighborhood environmental perception on park use for health improvement, Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture, 43(6), 98-108. https://doi.org/10.9715/KILA.2015.43.6.098
- Lohr, V. I., Pearson-Mims, C. H., Goodwin, G. K., 1996, Interior plants may improve worker productivity and reduce stress in a windowless environment, Journal of Environmental Horticulture 14, 97-100.
- More, T., Payne, B., 1978, Affective responses to natural areas near cities, J. Leis. Res., 10(1), 7-12. https://doi.org/10.1080/00222216.1978.11969329
- Orsega-Smith, E., Mowen, A. J., Payne, L. L., Godbey, G. C., 2004, The interaction of stress and park use on psycho-physiological health in older adults, J. Leis. Res., 36, 2S2, 232-256. https://doi.org/10.1080/00222216.2004.11950021
- Paquet, C., Orschulok, T. P., Coffee, N. T., Howard, N. J., Hugo, G., Taylor, A. W., Adams, R. J., Daniel, M., 2013, Are accessibility and characteristics of public open spaces associated with a better cardiometabolic health?, Landsc. Urban Plan., 118, 70-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2012.11.011
- Park, K. H., Lee, W. S., Kim, T. H., Kim, E. J., 2014, Effect of satisfaction in neighborhood park environments on physical activity and health, Journal of the Korea Institute of Landscape Architecture, 42(3), 64-75. https://doi.org/10.9715/KILA.2014.42.3.064
- Park, Y. E., Lee, W. S., Jung, S. G., Park, K. H., 2015, The effect of environmental perception in neighborhood park on user's recognition of health improvement, Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture, 43(1), 54-68. https://doi.org/10.9715/KILA.2015.43.1.054
- Seo, H. L., Park, S. H., 2007, Characteristics of walking and neighborhood environment in an old residential neighborhood, Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Planning & Design, 23(8), 191-199.
- Shibata, S., Suzuki, N., 2002, Effects of the foliage plant on task performance and mood, J. Environ. Psychol., 22, 265-272. https://doi.org/10.1006/jevp.2002.0232
- Shigematsu, R., Sallis, J. F., Conway, T. L., Saelens, B. E., Frank, L. D., Cain, K. L., Chapman, J. E., King, A. C., 2009, Age differences in the relation of perceived neighborhood environment to walking, Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., 41(2), 314-321. https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e318185496c
- Ulrich, R. S., 1979, Visual landscapes and psychological well-being, Landscape Research, 4(1), 17-23. https://doi.org/10.1080/01426397908705892
- Youn, J. M., Choi, M. J., 2014, The effect of urban open space on outdoor leisure activities, Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture, 42(4), 21-29. https://doi.org/10.9715/KILA.2014.42.4.021