- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Basic Study on a Plan to Improve the Management of the Maritime or Coastal National Parks Based on the Change of the National Park Zoning and the Establishment of the Use-specific Districts
국립공원의 구역 변천 및 용도지구 설정을 기반으로 한 해상·해안형 국립공원 관리개선방안에 대한 기초 연구
- Lee, Hee-Won (Department of Landscape Architecture, Hankyong National University) ;
- Yeom, Sung-Jin (Department of Landscape Architecture, Hankyong National University)
- Received : 2019.12.04
- Accepted : 2020.01.07
- Published : 2020.02.29
The national parks of South Korea take up an area of 6,726 ㎢, which accounts for 6.7% of the national land. They are national conservation areas with their area made up of 59.1% of land (3,972.6 ㎢) and 40.9% of seawaters (2,753.7 ㎢). And in 2019, the national parks are classified by type into 17 mountainous, 4 maritime or coastal, and 1 historical site. Here, the maritime or coastal nation parks are lately spotlighted as landmarks in maritime tourism. However, the area of the maritime or coastal national parks is continuously dwindling due to conflicts between the residents in the parks and Korea national park service, the continued pressure with respect to the regional tourism development and private investments, and the abolition of parks in relation to allegedly breached private properties. This study identifies the issues with the operation and management of national parks as caused by the abolition of parks and the reduction of areas, and goes from there to do research with the aim of suggesting an institutionalized improvement plan with a view to more useful operation and management of the maritime or coastal national parks. As a result, the natural resources in the sea and on land should be surveyed again to establish the standard for use-specific zoning and reorganize the park areas in adjusting the national park areas. Second, the use-specific districts need to be reviewed for their reorganization that meets the designation requirements by focusing on the characteristics of the different national parks with a view to ensuring reasonable natural conservation in the maritime or coastal national parks. Third, various support facilities for residents such as public path, lodgings, and rentals need to be created to reduce the conflicts between Korea national park service and those who live in the parks.
- Bae, B. H., 2001, Fundamental study on improvement of park area and district planning in mountain-type national park : review on analysis of degree of green naturality, J. of KIFR., 5(1), 21-35.
- Im, H. K., 2007, A Study on preventive measures against environmental destruction by residents in national park area : focusing on Gayasan national park area, Ph. D. Dissertation, Busan University, Busan.
- Im, J. D., 2002, A Study on visitor's tourism behavior of Koreai national parks, Ph. D. Dissertation, Kyonggi University, Suwon.
- Jung, K. S., 1998, A Study of national park boundary readjustment for efficient management of national park, Journal of Tourism Development, 8, 71-97.
- Kim, H. K., 2004, Zoning districts management of national park using geo-spatial information system, Ph. D. Dissertation, Gyeongsang University, Jinju.
- Korea national law information center, 2019, http://www.law.go.kr.
- Korea national park research institute, 2019, http://research.knps.or.kr.
- Korea national park service, 2009, National park basic statistics, 12-91.
- Korea national park service, 2019, http://www.knps.or.kr.
- Korea national park service, 2019, National park basic statistics, 12-91.
- Korean statistical information service, 2019, http://kosis.kr.
- Kwangju. Chonnam Developmet Institute, 2000, Korea national park areas must be readjusted, Korea.
- Min, I. G., 2009, Study on improving the management system of natural parks and the plan for advanced environmental management, Ph. D. Dissertation, Jeonnam University, Gwangju.
- Ministry of Environment, 1998, Preparation of criteria for feasibility study of national park zone, Korea, 3-164.
- Ministry of Environment, 2008, National park feasibility study criteria and improvement of natural park system, Korea, 4-49.
- Ministry of Environment, 2019, 3rd National park feasibility study criteria and improvement of natural park system, Korea, 12-192.
- Yu, G. H., Park. S. J., Choi, S. M., Kim, D. K., Kim, J. Y., 2016, A Study on integrated management framework of national parks and marine protected areas, Korea Maritime Institute, Korea.
- Zo, M. G., 1998, A Study on the reform measures of the coastal national park plan, Ph. D. Dissertation, Kongju University, Kongju.
- Zo, W., Ki, K. S., Jeon, G. C., Hong, K. S., Oh, K. K., 2017, A Sase study of designation in Taebaeksan national park, J. Ecol. Environ., 27(2), 77-77.