- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Assessing the Impact of Liquid Potassium Permanganate on Litter Quality of Poultry
액상 과망간산칼륨 적용시 육계 깔짚의 특성 평가
- Choi, In-Hag (Department of Companion Animal & Animal Resource, Joongbu Univeristy)
- 최인학 (중부대학교 애완동물자원학과)
- Received : 2019.12.17
- Accepted : 2020.01.10
- Published : 2020.01.31
The effects of liquid potassium permanganate (KMnO4) on the litter quality of poultry were investigated. Two-hundred-forty 0-day-old broiler chickens (Arbor Acres) were randomly assigned to two treatments with four replicated pens of 30 chickens each. Treatment liquid KMnO4 at a rate of 50 g of liquid KMnO4/kg of poultry litter was sprayed onto the litter surface using a small hand pump; others served as a control that was applied without liquid KMnO4 additions. Compared with controls, the treatment liquid KMnO4 showed no differences in pH, total nitrogen and ammonia concentration. It was concluded that liquid KMnO4 did not significantly increase poultry litter quality. Mechanisms relating to increasing litter pH and ammonia using liquid KMnO4 are an oxidant agent (not acid-foaming agents).
Supported by : 중부대학교
- AOAC., 1990, Official methods of analysis of the association of official analytical chemists., 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC, USA.
- Choi, I. H., Moore, P. A. Jr., 2008a, Effect of various litter amendments on ammonia volatilization and nitrogen content of poultry litter. J. Appl. Poult. Res., 4, 454-462.
- Choi, I. H., Moore, P. A. Jr., 2008b, Effects of liquid aluminum chloride additions to poultry litter on broiler performance, ammonia emissions, soluble phosphorus, total volatile Fatty acids, and nitrogen contents of litter. Poult. Sci., 87, 1955-1963. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2008-00053
- Faith, W. L., 1964, Odour control in cattle feed yards. J Air Pollut. Control Assoc., 14, 459-460. https://doi.org/10.1080/00022470.1964.10468314
- Hong, S. H., Lee, E. Y., 2018, Study on the reduction of livestock malodor using microbial agents- focusing on swine facilities. J. Odor Indoor Environ., 17, 85-94. https://doi.org/10.15250/joie.2018.17.2.85
- Moore, P. A. Jr., Daniel, T. C., Edwards, D. R., 1999, Reducing phosphorus runoff and improving poultry production with alum. Poult. Sci., 78, 692-698. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/78.5.692
- SAS Institute., 2002, SAS/STAT User's Guide: Version 8.2. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Smith, D. R., Moore, P. A. Jr., Griffins, C. L., Daniel, T. C., Edwards, D. R., Boothe, D. L., 2001, Effects of alum and aluminum chloride on phosphorus runoff from swine manure. J. Environ. Qual., 30, 992-998. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2001.303992x
- Zhao, Y., 2019, Pollution control technology for leachate from municipal solid waste. Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, 31-183.