- Volume 30 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Buffeting response of a free-standing bridge pylon in a trumpet-shaped mountain pass
- Li, Jiawu (School of Highway, Chang'an University) ;
- Shen, Zhengfeng (School of Highway, Chang'an University) ;
- Xing, Song (School of Highway, Chang'an University) ;
- Gao, Guangzhong (School of Highway, Chang'an University)
- Received : 2019.08.18
- Accepted : 2019.11.22
- Published : 2020.01.25
The accurate estimation of the buffeting response of a bridge pylon is related to the quality of the bridge construction. To evaluate the influence of wind field characteristics on the buffeting response of a pylon in a trumpet-shaped mountain pass, this paper deduced a multimodal coupled buffeting frequency domain calculation method for a variable-section bridge tower under the twisted wind profile condition based on quasi-steady theory. Through the long-term measurement of the wind field of the trumpet-shaped mountain pass, the wind characteristics were studied systematically. The effects of the wind characteristics, wind yaw angles, mean wind speeds, and wind profiles on the buffeting response were discussed. The results show that the mean wind characteristics are affected by the terrain and that the wind profile is severely twisted. The optimal fit distribution of the monthly and annual maximum wind speeds is the log-logistic distribution, and the generalized extreme value I distribution may underestimate the return wind speed. The design wind characteristics will overestimate the buffeting response of the pylon. The buffeting response of the pylon is obviously affected by the wind yaw angle and mean wind speed. To accurately estimate the buffeting response of the pylon in an actual construction, it is necessary to consider the twisted effect of the wind profile.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities
- Abdi, D.S. and Bitsuamlak, G.T. (2014), "Wind flow simulations on idealized and real complex terrain using various turbulence models", Adv. Eng. Software. 75, 30-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2014.05.002. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2014.05.002
- Cao, S., Wang, T., Ge, Y. and Tamura, Y. (2012), "Numerical study on turbulent boundary layers over two-dimensional hills-effects of surface roughness and slope", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 104, 342-349. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2012.02.022.
- Chen, X. and Kareem, A. (2002), "Advances in modeling of aerodynamic forces on bridge decks", J. of Eng. Mech. 128(11), 1193-1205. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)07339399(2002)128:11(1193). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2002)128:11(1193)
- Cheynet, E., Jakobsen, J.B. and Snaebjornsson, J. (2016), "Buffeting response of a suspension bridge in complex terrain", Eng. Struct., 128, 474-487. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.09.060. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.09.060
- Davenport, A.G. (1962), "Buffeting of a suspension bridge by storm winds", J. Struct. Div., 88(3), 233-270.
- Fenerci, A. and Oiseth, O. (2017), "Measured buffeting response of a long-span suspension bridge compared with numerical predictions based on design wind spectra", J. Struct. Eng., 143(9). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001873.
- Fenerci, A. and Oiseth, O. (2018), "Strong wind characteristics and dynamic response of a long-span suspension bridge during a storm", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 172, 116-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2017.10.030. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2017.10.030
- Fenerci, A. and Oiseth, O. (2018), "Site-specific data-driven probabilistic wind field modeling for the wind-induced response prediction of cable-supported bridges", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 181, 161-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2018.09.002. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2018.09.002
- Flay, R. and Stevenson, D. (1988), "Integral length scales in strong winds below 20 m", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn., 28(1-3), 21-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(88)90098-0. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(88)90098-0
- Fujino, Y., Kimura, K. and Tanaka, H. (2012), Wind Resistant Design of Bridges in Japan: Developments and Practices, Springer Science & Business Media, Germany.
- Grigoriu, M. (1984), "Estimates of extreme winds from short records", J. StrucT. Eng. 110(7), 1467-1484. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)07339445(1984)110:7(1467). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1984)110:7(1467)
- Gringorten, I.I. (1963), "A plotting rule for extreme probability paper", J. Geophys. Res., 68(3), 813-814. https://doi.org/10.1029/JZ068i003p00813
- Gumbel, E.J. (1954), Statistical Theory of Extreme Values and Some Practical Applications, NBS Applied Mathematics Series, National Bureau of Standards, Washington, DC, USA.
- Guo, A., Liu, J., Chen, W., Bai, X., Liu, G., Liu, T., Chen, S. and Li, H. (2016), "Experimental study on the dynamic responses of a freestanding bridge tower subjected to coupled actions of wind and wave loads", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 159, 36-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2016.10.003. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2016.10.003
- Han, Y., Shen, L., Xu, G., Cai, C., Hu, P. and Zhang, J. (2018), "Multiscale simulation of wind field on a long-span bridge site in mountainous area", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 177, 260-274. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2018.04.012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2018.04.012
- Han, Y., Chen, H., Cai, C., Xu, G., Shen, L. and Hu, P. (2016), "Numerical analysis on the difference of drag force coefficients of bridge deck sections between the global force and pressure distribution methods", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn., 159, 65-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2016.10.004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2016.10.004
- He, Y., Chan, P. and Li, Q. (2016), "Observations of vertical wind profiles of tropical cyclones at coastal areas", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn., 152, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2016.01.009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2016.01.009
- Holmes, J.D. (2018), Wind Loading of Structures, CRC press, New York, NY, USA.
- Hu, P., Han, Y., Xu, G., Li, Y. and Xue, F. (2018), "Numerical simulation of wind fields at the bridge site in mountain-gorge terrain considering an updated curved boundary transition section", J. Aerospace Eng., 31(3). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)AS.1943-5525.0000830.
- Hu, L., Xu, Y.L. and Huang, W.F. (2013), "Typhoon-induced nonstationary buffeting response of long-span bridges in complex terrain", Eng. Struct., 57, 406-415. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.09.044. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.09.044
- Hu, P., Li, Y., Huang, G., Kang, R. and Liao, H. (2015), "The appropriate shape of the boundary transition section for a mountaingorge terrain model in a wind tunnel test", Wind Struct., Int. J., 20(1), 15-36. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2015.20.1.015. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2015.20.1.015
- Hu, P., Li, Y., Han, Y., Cai, C. and Xu, G. (2017), "Wind tunnel tests on the characteristics of wind fields over a simplified gorge", Adv. Struct. Eng., 20(10), 1599-1611. https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433216680635. https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433216680635
- Hui, M., Larsen, A. and Xiang, H. (2009), "Wind turbulence characteristics study at the Stonecutters Bridge site: Part II: Wind power spectra, integral length scales and coherences", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 97(1), 48-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2008.11.003. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2008.11.003
- Kavrakov, I. and Morgenthal, G. (2017), "A comparative assessment of aerodynamic models for buffeting and flutter of long-span bridges", Engineering, 3(6), 823-838. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eng.2017.11.008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eng.2017.11.008
- Larose, G., Zasso, A., Melelli, S. and Casanova, D. (1998), "Field measurements of the wind-induced response of a 254 m high freestanding bridge pylon", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 74, 891-902. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(98)00081-6.
- Li, C., Chen, Z., Zhang, Z. and Cheung, J. (2010), "Wind tunnel modeling of flow over mountainous valley terrain", Wind Struct., Int. J., 13(3), 275-292. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2010.13.3.275. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2010.13.3.275
- Li, Y., Hu, P., Xu, X. and Qiu, J. (2017), "Wind characteristics at bridge site in a deep-cutting gorge by wind tunnel test", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 160, 30-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2016.11.002. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2016.11.002
- Li, Y.L., Chen, X.Y., Yu, C.J., Togbenou, K., Wang, B. and Zhu, L.D. (2018), "Effects of wind fairing angle on aerodynamic characteristics and dynamic responses of a streamlined trapezoidal box girder", J. Wind Eng Ind Aerod., 177, 69-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2018.04.006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2018.04.006
- Liu, Z., Ishihara, T., Tanaka, T. and He, X. (2016), "LES study of turbulent flow fields over a smooth 3-D hill and a smooth 2-D ridge", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn., 153, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2016.03.001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2016.03.001
- Ma, C., Duan, Q., Li, Q., Liao, H. and Tao, Q. (2019), "Aerodynamic characteristics of a long-span cable-stayed bridge under construction", Eng. Struct., 184, 232-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.12.097. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.12.097
- Marra, A.M., Mannini, C. and Bartoli, G. (2017), "Wind tunnel modeling for the vortex-induced vibrations of a yawed bridge tower", J. Bridge Eng., 22(5). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0001028.
- Masters, F.J., Vickery, P.J., Bacon, P. and Rappaport, E.N. (2010), "Toward objective, standardized intensity estimates from surface wind speed observations", B. Am. Meteorol. Soc., 91(12), 1665-1682. https://doi.org/10.1175/2010BAMS2942.1. https://doi.org/10.1175/2010BAMS2942.1
- Ren, H., Laima, S., Chen, W.-L., Zhang, B., Guo, A. and Li, H. (2018), "Numerical simulation and prediction of spatial wind field under complex terrain", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 180, 49-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2018.07.012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2018.07.012
- Ricciardelli, F. (1996), "Prediction of the response of suspension and cable-stayed bridge towers to wind loading", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 64(2-3), 145-159. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(96)00088-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(96)00088-8
- Rocchi, D., Argentini, T. and Sbrosi, M. (2014), "Pressure distribution and global forces on a bridge deck section: experimental and CFD analysis of static aerodynamic forces", J. Bridge Eng., 20(9), 04014097. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000695. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000695
- Scanlan, R.H. and Tomo, J. (1971), "Air foil and bridge deck flutter derivatives", J. Soil Mech. Found. Div., 97(6), 1717-1737.
- Shu, Z., Li, Q., He, Y. and Chan, P. (2017), "Vertical wind profiles for typhoon, monsoon and thunderstorm winds", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 168, 190-199. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2017.06.004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2017.06.004
- Siringoringo, D.M. and Fujino, Y. (2012), "Observed along-wind vibration of a suspension bridge tower", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn., 103, 107-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2012.03.007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2012.03.007
- Tao, T., Wang, H. and Wu, T. (2016), "Comparative study of the wind characteristics of a strong wind event based on stationary and nonstationary models", J. Struc. Eng., 143(5). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001725.
- Tse, K., Li, S., Chan, P., Mok, H. and Weerasuriya, A. (2013), "Wind profile observations in tropical cyclone events using wind-profilers and doppler SODARs", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 115, 93-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2013.01.003. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2013.01.003
- Wang, H., Li, A., Niu, J., Zong, Z. and Li, J. (2013), "Long-term monitoring of wind characteristics at Sutong Bridge site", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 115, 39-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2013.01.006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2013.01.006
- Wu, T. and Kareem, A. (2013), "Bridge aerodynamics and aeroelasticity: A comparison of modeling schemes", J. Fluids Struct., 43, 347-370. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2013.09.015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2013.09.015