- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Minimizing environmental impact from optimized sizing of reinforced concrete elements
- Santoro, Jair F. (Faculty of Engineering, Sul-Rio-Grandense Federal Institute) ;
- Kripka, Moacir (Civil and Environmental Engineering Graduate Program, University of Passo Fundo)
- Received : 2019.11.01
- Accepted : 2020.01.23
- Published : 2020.02.25
The construction field must always explore sustainable ways of using its raw materials. Studying the environmental impact generated by reinforced concrete raw materials during their production and transportation can contribute to reducing this impact. This paper initially presents the carbon dioxide emissions from reinforced concrete raw materials, quantified per kilo of raw material and per cubic meter of concrete with different characteristic strengths, for southern Brazil. Subsequently, reinforced concrete elements were optimized to minimize their environmental impact and cost. It was observed that lower values of carbon dioxide emissions and cost savings are generated for less resistant concrete when the structural element is a beam, and that reductions in the cross section dimensions of the beams, sized based on the use of higher strength concrete, may not compensate for the increased environmental impact and costs. For the columns, the behavior differed, presenting lower values of carbon dioxide emissions and costs for higher concrete strengths. The proposed methodology, as well as the results obtained, can be used to support structural projects that have less impact on the environment.
- Bolideh, A., Arab, H.G. and Ghasemi, M.R. (2019), "A fast and robust procedure for optimal detail design of continuous RC beams", Comput. Concrete, 24(4), 313-332. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2019.24.4.313. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2019.24.4.313
- Bordignon, R. and Kripka, M. (2012), "Optimum design of reinforced concrete columns subjected to uniaxial flexural compression", Comput. Concrete, 9(5), 345-358. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2012.9.5.327.
- Boscardin, J.T., Yepes, V. and Kripka, M. (2019), "Optimization of reinforced concrete building frames with automated grouping of columns", Autom. Constr., 104, 331-340. http:/doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2019.04.024. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2019.04.024
- Brasil Ministerio da Ciencia e Tecnologia (2010), "Segundo inventario brasileiro de emissoes e remocoes antropicas de gases de efeito estufa", Processos Industriais, Producao de Metais, Ferro e Aco, Brasilia.
- Brasil Ministerio da Ciencia e Tecnologia (2010), "Segundo inventario brasileiro de emissoes e remocoes antropicas de gases de efeito estufa", Processos Industriais, Produtos Minerais, Producao de Cimento, Brasilia.
- Brasil Ministerio de Minas e Energia (2018), "Balanco energetico nacional", Rio de Janeiro.
- Brasil Ministerio do Meio Ambiente (2014), "Inventario nacional de emissoes atmosfericas por veiculos automotores rodoviarios", Brasilia.
- Dede, T. (2018), "Jaya algorithm to solve single objective size optimization problem for steel grillage structures", Steel Compos. Struct., 26(2), 163-170. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2018.26.2.163 https://doi.org/10.12989/SCS.2018.25.2.163
- Dede, T., Kripka, M., Togan, V., Yepes, V. and Rao, R.V. (2019), "Usage of optimization techniques in civil engineering during the last two decades", Curr. Trend. Civil Struct. Eng., 2(1), 1-17. http:/doi.org/10.33552/CTCSE.2019.02.000529. https://doi.org/10.33552/CTCSE.2019.02.000545
- Gan, V.J.L., Cheng, J.C.P. and Lo, I.M.C. (2019), "A comprehensive approach to mitigation of embodied carbon in reinforced concrete buildings", J. Clean. Prod., 229, 582-597. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.05.035. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.05.035
- Hajek, P., Fiala, C. and Kynclova, M. (2011), "Life cycle assessments of concrete structures-a step towards e environmental savings", Struct. Concrete, 12(1), 13-22, https://doi.org/10.1002/suco.201000026. https://doi.org/10.1002/suco.201000026
Kim, T.H., Tae, S.H., Suk, S.J., Ford, G. and Yang, K.H. (2016), "An optimization system for concrete life cycle cost and related
$CO_2$emissions", Sustain. J., 8(4), 1-19. https://doi.org/10.3390/su8040361.
- Kirkkpatrick, S., Gellat, C.D. and Vecchi, M.P. (1983), "Optimization by simulated annealing", Sci., 220(4598), 671-680. https://www.jstor.org/stable/1690046. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.220.4598.671
- Medeiros, G.F. and Kripka, M. (2013), "Structural optimization and proposition of pre-sizing parameters for beams in reinforced concrete buildings", Comput. Concrete, 11(3), 253-270. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2013.11.3.253. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2013.11.3.253
- Medeiros, G.F. and Kripka, M. (2014), "Optimization of reinforced concrete columns according to different environmental impact assessment parameters", Eng. Struct., 59, 185-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.10.045. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.10.045
- Molina-Moreno, F., Garcia-Segura, T., Marti, J.V. and Yepes, V. (2017), "Optimization of buttressed earth-retaining walls using hybrid harmony search algorithms", Eng. Struct., 134, 205-216. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.12.042. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.12.042
Oh, B.K., Choi, S.W. and Park, H.S. (2016), "Influence of variations in
$CO_2$emission data upon environmental impact of building construction", J. Clean. Prod., 140(3), 1194-1203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.10.041. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.10.041
Park, H.S., Kwon, B., Shin, Y., Kim, Y., Hong, T. and Choi, S.W. (2013), "Cost and
$CO_2$emission optimization of steel reinforced concrete columns in high-rise buildings", J. Energ., 6(11), 5609-5624. https://doi.org/10.3390/en6115609.
Paya-Zaforteza, I., Yepes, V., Hospitaler, A and Gonzalez-Vidosa, F. (2009), "
$CO_2$-optimization of reinforced concrete frames by simulated annealing", Eng. Struct., 31(7), 1501-1508. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.02.034. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.02.034
- Pommer, K. and Pade, C. (2005), "Guidelines-uptake of carbon dioxide in the life cycle inventory of concrete", NI-Project 03018, Danish Technological Institute.
- Santoro, J.F. and Kripka, M. (2016), "Determinacao das emissoes de dioxido de carbono das materias primas do concreto armado produzido na regiao norte do Rio Grande do Sul", Ambiente Construido, 16(2), 35-49. https://doi.org/10.1590/s1678-86212016000200078. https://doi.org/10.1590/s1678-86212016000200078
- Santoro, J.F. and Kripka, M. (2017), "Studies on environmental impact assessment of reinforced concrete in different life cycle phases", Int. J. Struct. Glass Adv. Mater. Res., 1(2), 32-40. https://doi.org/10.3844/sgamrsp.2017.32.40. https://doi.org/10.3844/sgamrsp.2017.32.40
- Yeo, D. and Gabbai R.D. (2011), "Sustainable design of reinforced concrete structures through embodied energy optimization", Energy Build., 43(8), 2028-2033. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2011.04.014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2011.04.014
Yepes, V., Gonzales-Vidoza, F., Alacara, J. and Villalba, P. (2012), "
$CO_2$-optimization design of reinforced concrete retaining walls based on a VNS-threshold acceptance strategy", J. Comput. Civil Eng., 26(3), 378-386. https://doi.org/:10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000140. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000140