- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Seismic effects of epicenter distance of earthquake on 3D damage performance of CG dams
- Karalar, Memduh (Zonguldak Bulent Ecevit University, Department of Civil engineering) ;
- Cavusli, Murat (Zonguldak Bulent Ecevit University, Department of Civil engineering)
- Received : 2019.04.25
- Accepted : 2019.11.26
- Published : 2020.02.25
Seismic damages that occurred by the effects of epicenter distance of the earthquake are one of the most important problems for the earthquake engineering. In this study, it is aimed to examine the nonlinear seismic behaviors of concrete gravity (CG) dams considering various epicenter distances. For this purpose, Boyabat CG dam that is one of the biggest concrete gravity dams in Turkey is selected as a numerical application. FLAC3D software based on finite difference method is used for modelling and analyzing of the dam. Drucker-Prager nonlinear material model is used for the concrete body and Mohr-Coulomb nonlinear material model is taken into account for the foundation. Special interface elements are used between dam body and foundation to represent interaction condition. Free-field and quiet non-reflecting boundary conditions are utilized for the main surfaces of 3D model. Total 5 various epicenter distances of 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake are considered in 3D earthquake analyses and these distances are 5 km, 11 km, 24 km, 85 km and 93 km, respectively. According to 3D seismic results, x-y-z displacements, principal stresses and shear strain failures of the dam are evaluated in detail. It is clearly seen from this study that the nonlinear seismic behaviors of the CG dams change depending to epicenter distance of the earthquake. Thus, it is clearly recommended in this study that when a CG dam is modelled or analyzed, distance of the earthquake fault to the dam should be strongly examined in detail. Otherwise, earthquake damages can be occurred in the concrete dam body by the effects of seismic loads.
- Akkose, M., Simsek, E. (2010), "Non-linear seismic response of concrete gravity dams to near-fault ground motions including dam water-sediment-foundation interaction", Appl. Math. Model., 34(11), 3685-3700. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2010.03.019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2010.03.019
- Akpinar, U., Binici, B., Arici, Y. (2014), "Earthquake stresses and effective damping in concrete gravity dams", Earthq. Struct., 6(3). http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.6.3.251.
- Chen, D.H., Du C.B. (2011), "Application of strength reduction method to dynamic anti-sliding stability analysis of high gravity dam with complex dam foundation", Water Sci. Eng., 4(2), 212-224. https://doi.org/10.3882/j.issn.1674-2370.2011.02.009. https://doi.org/10.3882/j.issn.1674-2370.2011.02.009
- Chen, D.H., Yang, Z.H., Wang, M., Xie, J.H. (2019), "Seismic performance and failure modes of the Jin'anqiao concrete gravity dam based on incremental dynamic analysis", Eng. Failure Anal., 100, 227-244. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2019.02.018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2019.02.018
- Chopra, A K. (1966), "Hydrodynamic pressures on dams during earthquakes", Berkeley, Structures and Materials, Report no. 66-2A. University of California Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
- Fanelli, M. (1992), "Dynamic characterization of Talvacchia dam: Experimental activities, numerical modelling and monitoring", Bergamo, Italy: Istituto sperimentale modelli e strutture, ISMES publication, Serie: 334.
- Fenves, G., Chopra, A. K. (1984), "EAGD-84: a computer program for earthquake analysis of concrete gravity dams", Berkeley, Earthquake Engineering Research Centre. Report no. UCB/EERC-84/11. University of California Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
- Fok, K.L., Chopra, A. K. (1985), "Earthquake analysis and response of concrete arch dams", Earthquake Engineering Research Centre. Report no. UCB/EERC-85/07. University of California Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
- Haciefendioglu, K., Bayraktar, A., Turker, T. (2010), "Seismic response of concrete gravity dam-ice covered reservoir-foundation interaction systems", Struct. Eng. Mech., 36(4).
- Hai-tao, W., Jiayu, S., Feng, W., Zhiqiang, A., Tianyun, L. (2019), "Experimental study on elastic-plastic seismic response analysis of concrete gravity dam with strain rate effect", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 116, 563-569. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2018.09.020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2018.09.020
- Hall, J. F. (1988), "The dynamic and earthquake behaviour of concrete dams: review of experimental behaviour and observational evidence", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng, 7(2), 58-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(88)80001-0. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(88)80001-0
- Hariri-Ardebili, M.A., Seyed-Kolbadi, S.M., Mirzabozorg, H. (2013), "A smeared crack model for seismic failure analysis of concrete gravity dams considering fracture energy effects", Struct. Eng. Mech., 48(1). DOI: 10.12989/sem.2013.48.1.017. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2010.36.4.499.
- Itasca Consulting Group, Inc. FLAC version 5 user manual. Minneapolis, USA: Itasca Consulting Group, Inc.: 2002.
- Lei, X. (2010), "Possible roles of the Zipingpu reservoir in triggering the 2008 Wenchuan earthquake", J. Asian Earth Sci., 40(4), 844-854. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jseaes.2010.05.004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jseaes.2010.05.004
- Lotfi, V., Samii, A. (2012), "Dynamic analysis of concrete gravity dam-reservoir systems by wavenumber approach in the frequency domain", Earthq. Struct., 3(3). DOI: 10.12989/eas.2012.3.3_4.533.
- Lysmer, J., Kuhlemeyer, RL., (1969), "Finite Dynamic Model for Infinite Media", J. Eng. Mech., 95(EM4), 859-877.
- Mirzabozorg, H., Kianoush, R., Varmazyari, M. (2010), "Nonlinear behavior of concrete gravity dams and effect of input spatially variation", Struct. Eng. Mech., 35(3). http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/sem.2010.35.3.365.
- Oudni, N., Bouafia, Y. (2015), "Response of concrete gravity dam by damage model under seismic excitation", Eng. Failure Anal., 58, 417-428. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2015.08.020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2015.08.020
- Poul, M.K., Zerva, A. (2018), "Nonlinear dynamic response of concrete gravity dams considering the deconvolution process", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 109, 324-338. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2018.03.025. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2018.03.025
- Seed, H.B., Idriss, I.M. (1970), "Soil moduli and damping factors for dynamic response analyses", Technical Report EERRC-70-10, University of California, Berkeley, U.S.A.
- Sevim, B. (2018), "Geometrical dimensions effects on the seismic response of concrete gravity dams", Advan. Concrete Constr., 6(3), 269-283. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2018.6.3.269. https://doi.org/10.12989/ACC.2018.6.3.269
- Wang, G., Wang, Y., Lu, W., Yan, P., Zhou, W., Chen, M. (2017), "Damage demand assessment of mainshock-damaged concrete gravity dams subjected to aftershocks", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 98, 141-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2017.03.034. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2017.03.034
- Wang, G., Wang, Y., Lu, W., Yu, M., Wang, C. (2017), "Deterministic 3D seismic damage analysis of Guandi concrete gravity dam: A case study", Eng. Struct., 148, 263-276. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.06.060. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.06.060
- Westergaard, H.M. (1933), "Water pressures on dams during earthquakes", Am. Soc. Civ. Eng. Trans., 98(2), 418-433.
- Yazdani, Y., Alembagheri, M. (2017), "Seismic vulnerability of gravity dams in near-fault areas", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 102, 15-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2017.08.020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2017.08.020
- Zhang, S., Wang, G. (2013), "Effects of near-fault and far-fault ground motions on nonlinear dynamic response and seismic damage of concrete gravity dams", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 53, 217-229. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2013.07.014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2013.07.014
- Zhu, H.H., Yin, J.H., Dong, J.H., Zhang, L. (2010), "Physical modelling of sliding failure of concrete gravity dam under overloading condition", Geomech. Eng., 2(2). https://10.12989/gae.2010.2.2.089.