- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Review of Waste Acceptance Criteria in USA for Establishing Very Low Level Radioactive Waste Acceptance Criteria in the 3rd Step Landfill Disposal Site
국내 극저준위방폐물 처분시설 인수기준 마련을 위한 미국 처분시설의 인수기준 분석
- Park, Kihyun (ORION EnC Co. Ltd.) ;
- Chung, Sewon (ORION EnC Co. Ltd.) ;
- Lee, Unjang (ORION EnC Co. Ltd.) ;
- Lee, Kyungho (ORION EnC Co. Ltd.)
- Received : 2019.10.07
- Accepted : 2020.03.06
- Published : 2020.03.30
According to the Korea Radioactive Waste Agency's (KORAD's) medium and low level radioactive waste management implementation plan, the Domestic 3rd Step Landfill Disposal Facility has planned to accept a total of 104,000 drums (2 trenches) of very low level radioactive waste (VLLW), from the decommissioning site from April 2019 - February 2026 (total budget: 224.6 billion Won). Subsequently, 260,000 drums (5 trenches) will be disposed in a 34,076 ㎡. Accordingly, KORAD is preparing a waste acceptance criteria (WAC) for this facility. Every disposal facility for VLLW in other countries such as France and Spain, operate their WAC for each VLLW facility with a reasonable application approach, This, paper focuses on analyzing the WAC conditions in VLLW sites in the USA and discusses whether these can be met in domestic VLLW WAC. It also helps in the preparation of WAC for the 3rd Step Landfill Disposal Site in Gyeongju, since the USA has prior experience on decommissioning nuclear waste.
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원
- Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy, Development of the Technology of Source Terms in Decommissioning, 45-46, 1415140897 (2015).
- J.Y. Song, G.H. Song, J.H. Park, S.W. Ji, T.G. Do, and K.P. Kim, "Review of Radioactive Waste Classification and Waste Acceptance Criteria for Disposal of VLLW from Decommissioning of Nuclear Facilities", J. Radiat. Ind., 12(3), 239-247 (2018).
- J.H. Cheong, "Study on Operation Status and Implications of Sole Disposal Site for VLLW in every Nation", Proc. of the KRS 2010 Autumn Conference, 8(2), 35-36, Dctober 7-9, 2010, Pusan.
- J.H. Cheong, "Analysis of International Trends in Safe Management of Very Low Level Waste Based upon Graded Approach and Their Implications", J. Korean Radioact. Waste Soc., 9(1), 49-62 (2011). https://doi.org/10.7733/jkrws.2011.9.1.49
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission , Licensing Requirements for Land Disposal of Radioactive Waste, NRC Part 61, 61.50-61.84, Washington (2019).
- Energy Solutions, Barnwell Waste Management Facility Site Disposal, 6-16 DOE, Washington (2017).
- Energy Solutions, Bulky Waste Disposal and Treatment Facilities Waste Acceptance Criteria, 1-58, Energy Solution, Utah (2015).
- Waste Control Specialists LLC, Andrews Waste Acceptance Criteria, 1-26, Waste Control Specialists LLC, Texas (2008).
- Chem-Nuclear Systems, Hanford Site Solid Waste Acceptance Criteria, 3-1-3-7, DOE, Washington (2017).
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Packing and Transportation of Radioactive Waste, NRC, Part 71, 71.17-71.25, Washington (2019).
- Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power, Final Report on the Development of WCP (1st step), 181-338, KHNP A14IE01 (2015).