- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Characteristics of Anisotropic Deformation in Manufacturing of Large-scale Glass-ceramic Composite Sintered Body
대형 유리-세라믹 복합 매질 소결체 제조 시 비등방성 변형 특성 평가
- Kim, Kwang-Wook (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Sohn, Sungjune (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Jimin (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Foster, Richard I. (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Keunyoung (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute)
- Received : 2019.08.29
- Accepted : 2019.12.09
- Published : 2020.03.30
We studied the anisotropic shrinkage and deformation characteristics of large size sintered bodies in the manufacturing of glass-ceramic composite wasteform. We used uranium-bearing waste, generated from the treatment of spent uranium catalyst. Sintered specimens were prepared in several forms, comprising a circular disk, and a quarter disk in several diameters of up to 40 cm. Regardless of form or size, the sintered bodies had high isotropic shrinkage when they were fabricated using green bodies prepared at 60 MPa. The average anisotropy rate and average shrinkage rate were 1.6%, and 37.4%, respectively. We confirmed that the glass-ceramic composite wasteform in a large scale disk-type for packing in a 200 L drum could be fabricated with a tolerable anisotropy shrinkage. This has resulted in a significant reduction in the volume of radioactive waste to be disposed of with highly stable wasteform.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- E.A. Olevsky and R.M. German, "Effect of Gravity on Dimensional Change During Sintering- 1. Shrinkage Anisotropy", Acta Mater., 48(5), 1153-1166 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6454(99)00368-7
- S. Schiller and H.J. Schmidem, "Ultrafine Dust Filtration Using Precoat Materials Considering the Influence of Filter", Media. Chem. Eng. Tech., 37(6), 1009-1020 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1002/ceat.201300856
- Rilling K., "Precoat Filter Aids can Reduce Wastewater Treatment Costs", Environ. Sci. & Eng. Magazine, Nov./Dec.,12-14 (2014).
- Kuhn M., Briesen H., "Dynamic Modeling of Filter-aid Filtration Including Surface- and Depth-filtration Effects", Chem. Eng. Tech., 39(3), 425-434 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1002/ceat.201500347
- M. Ojovan, W.E. Lee, and S.N. Kaqlmykov, "An Introduction to Nuclear Waste Immobilization", 3rd Ed. Elsevier (2019).
- K. Sawada, D. Hirabayashi, and Y. Enokida, Reaction of Antimony-Uranium Composite Oxide in the Chlorination Treatment of Waste Catalyst, Waste Management 2013, Phoenix. AZ. 2013.
- K.W. Kim, M.J. Kim, M.K. Oh, J. Kim, H.H. Sung, R. I. Foster, and K.Y. Lee, "Development of a Treatment Process and Immobilization Method for the Volume Reduction of Uranium-bearing Spent Catalysts for Final Disposal", J. Nucl. Sci. & Tech., 55(12), 1459-1472 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1080/00223131.2018.1516578
- K.W. Kim, R.I. Foster, J. Kim, H.H. Sung, D. Yang, W.J. Shon, M.K. Oh, and K.Y. Lee, "Glass-ceramic Composite Wasteform to Immobilize and Stabilize a Uranium-bearing Waste Generated From Treatment of a Spent Uranium Catalyst", J. Nucl. Mat., 516, 238-246 (2019) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2019.01.005
- K.W. Kim, M.K. Oh, W.J. Shon, R.I. Foster, K.Y. Lee, Treatment of Uranium Catalyst Waste for High Volume Reduction of the Final Waste to be Disposed, Waste Management 2019, Phoenix. AZ. 2019.
- US Patent 3,988,359, Catalyst for Use in and Process for Preparing Acrylonitrile (1976).
- K.W. Kim, M.J. Kim, M.K. Oh, J. Kim, R.I. Foster, and K.Y. Lee, "Volume Reduction of Uranium Catalyst Waste for Final Disposal", Eurasia 2018 Waste Management Symposium, Istanbul (2018).
- KR Patent 10-1989910, Volume Reduction Treatment Method of Spent Uranium Catalyst (2019).
- International Atomic Energy Agency, Handbook, Conditioning of Low- and Intermediate-level Liquid and Solid waste, IAEA-TECDOC, IAEA, Vienna, to be printed (2020).
- D. Caurant, P. Loiseau, O. Majerus, V. Aubin-Chevaldonnet, I. Bardez, A. Quintas, Glass, Glass-ceramics and Ceramics for Immobilization of Highly Radioactive Nuclear Waste, Nova Sci. Pub. Inc., Paris (2009).
- Michael I. Ojovan, Handbook of Advanced Radioactive Waste Conditioning Technologies, Woodhead Publishing (2011).
- I.W. Donald, B. L. Metcalfe, and R. N. J. Taylor, "Review: The Immobilization of High Level Radioactive Waste Using Ceramics and Glasses", J. Mat. Sci., 32, 5851-5887 (1997). https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1018646507438
- J. Choi, W. Um, and S. Choung, "Development of Iron Phosphate Ceramic Waste Form to Immobilize Radioactive Waste Solution", J. Nucl. Mat., 452, 16-23 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2014.04.033
- V.S. Department of Energy, Stabilization /Solidification Processes From Mixed Waste, DOE Report EPA 402-R-96-014 (1996).
- International Atomic Energy Agency, Containers for packing of solid and intermediate Level Radioactive Waste, IAEA report, Technical reports series No.355 (1993).
- V. S. Thorat, R. K. Mishra, V. Sudarsan, A. Kumar, A. K. Tyagi, and C.P. Kaushik, "Leaching Studies on Borosilicate Glasses for the Immobilization of High-level Radioactive Waste in the Pellet Form Subjected to Aggressive Test Conditions", Bull. Mater.Sci., 42, 211-218 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12034-019-1900-7
- F. Dorai, M. Rolland, A. Wachs, M. Marcoux, and E. Climent, "Packing Fixed Bed Reactors Withy Cylinders: Influence of Particle Length Distribution, Procedia Engineering", 42, 1335-1345 (2012) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2012.07.525
- Korea Nuclear Safety & Security Commission, Low and Intermediate Level Radioactive Waste Delivery Guide, Notification No.2015-4, 2014.
- Korea Radioactive Waste Agency, SAR 8.3 of Low and Intermediate Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Facility, KORAD Report (2016).
- KR Patent 10-1960721, Packing Method of Sintered Radioactive Solid Waste in Drum (2019).
- O. Bretcanu, X. Chatzistavrou, K. Paraskevopoulos, R. Conradt, I. Thompson, and A. R. Boccaccini, "Sintering and Crystallization of 45S5 Bioglass Powder", J. European Ceramic Soc., 3299-3306 (2009).
- M.N. Rahaman, Ceramic processing and Sintering, 2nd ed. Marcel Dekker Inc., N.Y. 2003.
- A.R. Boccaccini, and R. Conradt, "Isotropic Shrinkage of Platelet Containing Glass Powder Compacts During Isothermal Sintering", Int. J. Inorg. Mater., 3, 101-106, (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1466-6049(01)00005-8