- Volume 34 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Spatial substructure hybrid simulation tests of high-strength steel composite Y-eccentrically braced frames
- Li, Tengfei (School of Civil Engineering, Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology) ;
- Su, Mingzhou (School of Civil Engineering, Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology) ;
- Sui, Yan (School of Civil Engineering, Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology)
- Received : 2019.08.17
- Accepted : 2019.12.28
- Published : 2020.03.10
High-strength steel composite Y-eccentrically braced frame (Y-HSS-EBF) is a novel structural system. In this study, the spatial substructure hybrid simulation test (SHST) method is used to further study the seismic performance of Y-HSS-EBF. Firstly, based on the cyclic loading tests of two single-story single-span Y-HSS-EBF planar specimens, a finite element model in OpenSees was verified to provide a reference for the numerical substructure analysis model for the later SHST. Then, the SHST was carried out on the OpenFresco test platform. A three-story spatial Y-HSS-EBF model was taken as the prototype, the top story was taken as the experimental substructure, and the remaining two stories were taken as the numerical substructure to be simulated in OpenSees. According to the test results, the validity of the SHST was verified, and the main seismic performance indexes of the SHST model were analyzed. The results show that, the SHST based on the OpenFresco platform has good stability and accuracy, and the results of the SHST agree well with the global numerical model of the structure. Under strong seismic action, the plastic deformation of Y-HSS-EBF mainly occurs in the shear link, and the beam, beam-columns and braces can basically remain in the elastic state, which is conducive to post-earthquake repair.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- AISC341-16 (2016), Seismic Provision for Structure Steel Buildings, American Institute of Steel Construction; Chicago, USA.
- Alhendi, H. and Celikag, M. (2015), "Behavior of reverse-channel and double-reverse-channel connections to tubular columns with HSS", J. Constr. Steel Res., 112, 271-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.05.017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.05.017
- Ban, H.Y. and Shi, G. (2017), "A review of research on high-strength steel structures", Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers-Structures and Buildings, 171(8), 625-641.
- Chae, Y., Ricles, J.M. and Sause, R. (2013), "Large-scale experimental studies of structural control algorithms for structures with magneto-rheological dampers using real-time hybrid simulation", J. Struc. Eng., 139, 1215-1226. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000691. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000691
- Chiew, S.P., Zhao, M.S. and Lee, C.K. (2015), "Fatigue performance of high strength steel built-up box T-joints", J. Constr. Steel Res., 106, 296-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.12.018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.12.018
- Dermitzakis, S.N. and Mahin, S.A. (1985), "Development of substructuring techniques for on-line computer controlled seismic performance testing", Research Report No.UCB/EERC-85/04; Berkeley, CA, Earthquake Engineering Research Center.
- Du, K., Sun, J.J. and Xu, W.X. (2012), "The division of element, section and fiber in fiber model", J. Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 32(5), 39-46.
- Duan, L.S. and Su, M.Z. (2017), "Seismic testing of high-strength steel eccentrically braced frames with a vertical link", Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers-Structures and Buildings, 170(11), 874-882. https://doi.org/10.1680/jstbu.16.00100
- GB 50011-2010 (2016 edition) (2016), Code for Seismic Design of Buildings, China Architecture and Building Press; Beijing, China.
- Hashemi, M.J. and Mosqueda, G. (2014), "Innovative substructuring technique for hybrid simulation of multistory buildings through collapse", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 43(14), 2059-2074. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2427. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2427
- Kasai, K. and Popov, E.P. (1986), "General behavior of WF steel shear link beams", J. Struct. Eng., 112(2), 362-382. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1986)112:2(362). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1986)112:2(362)
- Khan, M.A., Jiang, L., Cashell, K.A. and Usmani, A. (2018), "Analysis of restrained composite beams exposed to fire using a hybrid simulation approach", Eng. Struct., 172, 956-966. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.06.048. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.06.048
- Kim, D.K., Lee, C.H., Han, K.H., Kim, J.H., Lee, S.E. and Sim, H.B. (2014), "Strength and residual stress evaluation of stub columns fabricated from 800 MPa high-strength steel", J. Constr. Steel Res., 102, 111-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.07.007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.07.007
- Lian, M., Su, M.Z. and Guo, Y. (2015), "Seismic performance of eccentrically braced frames with high strength steel combination", Steel Compos. Struct., 18(6), 1517-1539. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.6.1517. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.6.1517
- Mansour, N., Christopoulos, C. and Tremblay, R. (2011), "Experimental validation of replaceable shear links for eccentrically braced steel frames", J. Struct. Eng., 137(10), 1141-1152. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000350. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000350
- Mazzoni, S., McKenna, F., Scott, M.H. and Fenves, G.L. (2009), Open system for earthquake engineering simulation user command-language manual-OpenSees version 2.0, Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center (PEER), Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA, USA.
- Menegotto, M. and Pinto, E. (1973), "Method of analysis for cyclically loaded RC plane frames including changes in geometry and non-elastic behavior of elements under combined normal force and bending", IABSE symposium on resistance and ultimate deformability of structures acted on by well defined repeated loads, Lisbon, Portual.
- Montuori, R., Nastri, E. and Piluso, V. (2014a), "Theory of plastic mechanism control for eccentrically braced frames with inverted y-scheme", J. Constr. Steel Res., 92(1), 122-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.10.009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.10.009
- Montuori, R., Nastri, E. and Piluso, V. (2014b), "Rigid-plastic analysis and moment-shear interaction for hierarchy criteria of inverted Y EB-Frames", J. Constr. Steel Res., 95(4), 71-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.11.013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.11.013
- Ozhendekci, D. and Ozhendekci, N. (2008). "Effects of the frame geometry on the weight and inelastic behaviour of eccentrically braced chevron steel frames", J. Constr. Steel Res., 64(3), 326-343. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2007.07.009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2007.07.009
- Popov, E.P. (1983), "Recent research on eccentrically braced frames", Eng. Struct., 5(1), 3-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(83)90034-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(83)90034-2
- Ricles, J.M. and Popov, E.P. (1994), "Inelastic link element for EBF seismic analysis", Struct. Eng., 120(2), 441-463. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1994)120:2(441). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1994)120:2(441)
- Schellenberg, A., Kim, H.K., Takahashi, Y., Fenves, G.L. and Mahin, S.A. (2009), OpenFresco Command Language Manual, The Regents of the University of California, CA, USA, 35-37.
- Shayanfar, M.A., Barkhordari, M.A. and Rezaeian, A.R. (2012), "Experimental study of cyclic behavior of composite vertical shear link in eccentrically braced frames", Steel Compos. Struct., 12(1), 13-29. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.12.1.013. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.12.1.013
- Shayanfar, M.A., Rezaeian, A.R. and Zanganeh, A. (2012), "Seismic performance of eccentrically braced frame with vertical link using PBPD method", Struct. Des. Tall Spec., 23(1), 1-21. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1015.
- Shi, G., Liu, Z., Ban, H.Y., Zhang, Y., Shi, Y.J. and Wang, Y.Q. (2012), "Tests and finite element analysis on the local buckling of 420 MPa steel equal angle columns under axial compression", Steel Compos. Struct., 12(1), 31-51. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.12.1.031. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.12.1.031
- Tony, Y. and Andreas, S. (2015), OpenSees Navigator ver. 2.5.5, Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center (PEER), Berkeley, CA, USA.
- Wang, F., Su, M.Z., Hong, M., Guo, Y.R. and Li, S.H. (2016), "Cyclic behaviour of Y-shaped eccentrically braced frames fabricated with high-strength steel composite", J. Constr. Steel Res., 120(2), 176-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2016.01.007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2016.01.007