- Volume 31 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of Interfacial Properties on the Detergency in Dishwashing Agent Composition
식기용 세정제 조성에 있어서 계면물성이 세정력에 미치는 영향
- Oh, Hyun-Joo (Mamaforest, B210-1 Glocal SanHak center, Dankook university) ;
- Lim, Hyo-Seon (Mamaforest, B210-1 Glocal SanHak center, Dankook university) ;
- Kim, Young-Ho (Department of Chemical engineering, Hankyong National University)
- Received : 2019.12.02
- Accepted : 2020.03.13
- Published : 2020.04.10
The effects of the composition of the dishwashing detergent on interfaces of the oil (O) and the aqueous (W) solution in addition to the cleaning effects of interfacial properties were investigated. Also, the cleaning power of the oil contaminated on the surface of the dish according to each composition and the residuals of the contaminants and the cleaning agent after the washing rinses were evaluated. The removal of contaminated oil on the solid (S) surface in the composition of the cleaning agents used in this study was strongly related to the interfacial properties between the W/O/S, and was particularly dependent on the forward and backward dynamic contact angles. When both contact angles were low at the same time, the permeability of the cleaning solution was so high that the contaminated oil showed a high removal effect. The smaller the interfacial tension of O/W was, the better emulsification of the contaminated oil, the higher the interfacial tension, and the poorer emulsification were achieved. However, the emulsification effect did not significantly affect the cleaning power. In particular, in the case of the cleaner having low interfacial tension, the cleaning material remained on the surface of the solid after washing.
- J. Falbe, Surfactants in Consumer Products: Theory, Technology and Application, 1st ed., 14-18, Verlag GmbH & Co, NY, USA (1986).
- K. Kou, New Surfactant, 1st ed., 19, Sehwa Publishing, Japan (1983).
- D. Myers, Surfactant Science and Technology, 1st ed., 11-12, VCH Publishers Inc., NY, USA (1988).
- M. J. Rosen, Surfactant and Surface Phenomena, 1st ed., 3-4, Kodamsa Science Technology, Japan (1988).
- D. Myers, Surfaces, Interfaces, and Colloids, 1st ed., 25-27, VCH Publishers Inc., NY, USA (1990).
- D. Myers, Surfaces, Interfaces, and Colloids, 1st ed., 30-33, VCH Publishers Inc., NY, USA (1990).
- J. Falbe, Surfactants in Consumer Products: Theory, Technology and Application, 14-18, Verlag GmbH & Co, NY, USA (1986).
- D. Attwood and A. T. Florence, Surfactant Systems Their Chemistry, Pharmacy and Biology, 40-49, Chapman and Hall, NY, USA (1983).
- K.-Y. Lai, Liquid Detergents, 43, Marcel Dekker, Inc., NY, USA (1996).
- R. N. Wenzel, Resistance of solid surfaces to wetting by water, Ind. Eng. Chem., 28, 988-994 (1936). https://doi.org/10.1021/ie50320a024
- A. B. D. Cassie and S. Baxter, Wettability of porous surfaces, Trans. Faraday Soc., 40, 546-551 (1944). https://doi.org/10.1039/tf9444000546
- W. D. Harkins and A. Feldman, Films. the spreading of liquids and the spreading coefficient, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 44(12), 2665-2685 (1922). https://doi.org/10.1021/ja01433a001
- R. Amin and T. N. Smith, Interfacial tension and spreading coefficient under reservoir conditions, Fluid Phase Equilibr., 142(1-2), 231-241 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-3812(97)00213-6
- H. W. Fox and W. A. Zisman, The spreading of liquids on low energy surfaces. I. polytetrafluoroethylene, J. Colloid Sci., 5(6), 514-531 (1950). https://doi.org/10.1016/0095-8522(50)90044-4
- H. W. Fox and W. A. Zisman, The spreading of liquids on low-energy surfaces. III. Hydrocarbon surfaces, J. Colloid Sci., 7(4), 428-442 (1952). https://doi.org/10.1016/0095-8522(52)90008-1
- D. T. Wasan and A. D. Nikolov, Spreading of nanofluids on solids, Nature, 423(6936), 156-159 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1038/nature01591
- C.-M. Lehr, H. E. Bodde, J. A. Bouwstra, and H. E. Junginger, A surface energy analysis of mucoadhesion II. Prediction of mucoadhesive performance by spreading coefficients, Eur. J. Pharm. Sci., 1(1), 19-30 (1993). https://doi.org/10.1016/0928-0987(93)90014-2
- L. E. Baker, A. C. Pierce, and K. D. Luks, Gibbs energy analysis of phase equilibria, Soc. Pet. Eng. J., 22(05), 731-742 (1982). https://doi.org/10.2118/9806-PA
- D. S. Abrams and J. M. Prausnitz, Statistical thermodynamics of liquid mixtures: A new expression for the excess Gibbs energy of partly or completely miscible systems, AIChE Journal, 21(1), 116-128 (1975). https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690210115
- C. C. Chen, H. I. Britt, J. F. Boston, and L. B. Evans, Local composition model for excess Gibbs energy of electrolyte systems. Part I: Single solvent, single completely dissociated electrolyte systems, AIChE Journal, 28(4), 588-596 (1982). https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690280410
- M. Morra, E. Occhiello, and F. Garbassi, Contact abgle hysterisis in oxygen plasma treated poly(tetrafluoroethylene), Langmuir, 5, 872-876 (1989). https://doi.org/10.1021/la00087a050
- N. Ogawa, M. Soga, Y. Takada, and I. Nakayama, Nanostructured superhydrophobic surfaces, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 32, 35876-3591 (1993).
- M. Miwa, A. Nakajima, A. Fujishima, K. Hashimoto, and T. Watanabe, Effects of the surface roughness on sliding angles of water droplets on superhydrophobic surfaces, Langmuir, 16, 5754-5760 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1021/la991660o
- O. Takai, A. Hozumi, Y. Inoue, and T. Komori, An atomic force microscopy study of the surface morphology of hyperbranched poly(acrylic acid) thin films, Bull. Mater. Sci., 20, 1368-1371 (1997).
- M. S. Akhter, Effect of solubilization of alcohols on critical micelle concentration of non-aqueous micellar solutions, Colloids Surf. A:Physicochem. Eng. Asp., 157(1-3), 203-210 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0927-7757(99)00089-8
- R. Gamez-Corrales, J.-F. Berret, L. M. Walker, and J. Oberdisse, Shear-thickening dilute surfactant solutions: Equilibrium structure as studied by small-angle neutron scattering, Langmuir, 15(20), 6755-6763 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1021/la990187b
- J.-R. Riba and B. Esteban, A simple laboratory experiment to measure the surface tension of a liquid in contact with air, Eur. J. Phys., 35(5), 055003 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1088/0143-0807/35/5/055003
- R. G. Picknett and R. Bexon, The evaporation of sessile or pendant drops in still air, J. Colloid Interf. Sci., 61(2), 336-350 (1977). https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9797(77)90396-4
- A. F. Stalder, T. Melchior, M. Muller, D. Sage, T. Blu, and M. Unser, Low-bond axisymmetric drop shape analysis for surface tension and contact angle measurements of sessile drops, Colloids Surf. A:Physicochem. Eng. Asp., 364(1-3), 72-81 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2010.04.040
- O. I. del Rio and A. W. Neumann, Axisymmetric drop shape analysis: Computational methods for the measurement of interfacial properties from the shape and dimensions of pendant and sessile drops, J. Colloid Interf. Sci., 196(2), 136-147 (1997). https://doi.org/10.1006/jcis.1997.5214
- D. Tennant, A test of a modified line intersect method of estimating root length, The Journal of Ecology, 995-1001 (1975).