- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Tests for Causality from Internet Search to Return and Volatility of Cryptocurrency: Evidence from Causality in Moments
인터넷 검색을 통한 암호화폐 수익률 및 변동성에 대한 인과검정: 적률인과 접근
- Received : 2020.02.25
- Accepted : 2020.03.27
- Published : 2020.03.31
Purpose This study analyzes whether Internet search of cryptocurrency has a causal relationship to return and volatility of cryptocurrency. Design/methodology/approach Google Trend was used as a measure of the level of Internet search, and the parametric tests of Granger causality in the 1st moment and the 2nd moment were adopted as the analysis method. We used Bitcoin's dollar-based price, which is the No. 1 market value among cryptocurrency. Findings The results showed that the Internet search measured by Google Trends has a causal relationship to cryptocurrency in both average and volatility, while there is a difference in causality and its degree according to the search area and category that Google Trend user should set. Because the Granger causality is based on the improvement of prediction, the analysis results of this study indicate that Internet search can be used as a leading indicator in predicting return and volatility of cryptocurrency.
Supported by : 동일문화장학재단
- 유주현, 강주영, 박상언, "주요 가상화폐 시장간 수익률 및 변동성 전이효과에 관한 연구," 정보시스템연구, 27권 3호 2018, pp. 43-62.
- Baek, C. and Elbeck, M., "Bitcoins as an investment or speculative vehicle? A first look," Applied Economics Letters, Vol. 22, No. 1, 2015, pp. 30-34. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504851.2014.916379
- Bohme, R., Christin, N., Edelman, B., and Moore, M., "Bitcoin: Economics, technology and governance," Journal of Economics Perspectives, Vol. 29, No. 2, 2015, pp. 213-238 . https://doi.org/10.1257/jep.29.2.213
- Bouri, E., Azzi, G., and Dyhrberg, A., "On the return-volatility relationship in the Bitcoin market around the price crash of 2013," Economics, Vol. 11, No. 2, 2017, pp. 1-16.
- Boyle, J., Sparks, R., Keijzers, G., Crilly, J., Lind, J., and Ryan, L., "Prediction and surveillance of influenza epidemics," Medical Journal of Australia, Vol. 194, No. S4, 2011, pp. 28-33
- Cheah, E. and Fry, J., "Speculative bubbles in Bitcoin markets? An empirical investigation into the fundamental value of Bitcoin," Economics Letters, Vol. 130, 2015, pp. 32-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econlet.2015.02.029
- Chen, S., Haerdle, W., and Jeong, K., "Forecasting volatility with support vector machine-based GARCH Model," Journal of Forecasting, Vol. 29, 2010, pp. 406-433.
- Chen, S., Jeong, K., and Haerdle, W., "Recurrent support vector regression for a non-linear ARMA model with applications to forecasting financial returns," Computational Statistics, Vol. 30, No. 3, 2015, pp. 821-843. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00180-014-0543-9
- Choi, H. and Varian, H., "Predicting the present with google trends," Economic Record, Vol. 88, No. 1, 2012, pp. 2-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-4932.2012.00809.x
- Diebold, F. and Yilmaz, K., "Better to give than to receive: Predictive directional measurement of volatility spillovers," International Journal of Forecasting, Vol. 28, 2012, pp. 57-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijforecast.2011.02.006
- Dyhrberg, A., "Bitcoin, gold and the dollar-A GARCH volatility analysis," Finance Research Letters, Vol. 16, 2016, pp. 85-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2015.10.008
- Ginsberg, J., Mohebbi, M., Patel, R., Brammer, L., Smolinski, M., and Brilliant, L., "Detecting influenza epidemics using search engine query data," Nature, Vol. 457, 2008, pp. 1012-1014.
- Glaser, F., Zimmermann, K., Haferkorn, M., Weber, M., and Siering, M., "Bitcoin-Asset or Currency? Revealing Users' Hidden Intentions," 22th European Conference on Information Systems, 2014, Tel Aviv.
- Granger, C., "Investigating causal relations by econometric models and cross-spectral methods," Econometrica, Vol. 37, 1969, pp. 424-438. https://doi.org/10.2307/1912791
- Granger, C., "Testing for causality: A personal viewpoint," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Vol. 2, 1980, pp. 329-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1889(80)90069-X
- Grinberg, R., "Bitcoin: An innovative alternative digital currency," Hastings Science & Technology Law Journal, Vol. 4, 2011, p. 160.
- Hanley, B., "The False Premises and Promises of Bitcoin," arXiv:1312.2048, 2013.
- Hsiao, C., "Autoregressive modeling and causal ordering of economic variables," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Vol. 4, 1982, pp. 243-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1889(82)90015-X
- Jun, S., Yoo, H., and Choi, S., "Ten years of research change using Google Trends: From the perspective of big data utilizations and applications," Technological Forecasting & Social Change, Vol. 130, 2018, pp. 69-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2017.11.009
- Katsiampa, P., "Volatility estimation for Bitcoin: A comparison of GARCH models," Economics Letters, Vol. 158, 2017, pp. 3-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econlet.2017.06.023
- Naccarato, A., Falorsi, S., Loriga, S., and Pierini, A., "Combining official and Google Trends data to forecast the Italian youth unemployment rate," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Vol. 130(C), 2018, pp. 114-122.
- Nishiyama, Y., Hitomi, K., Kawasaki, Y., and Jeong, K., "A consistent nonparametric test for nonlinear causality: Specification in time series regression," Journal of Econometrics, Vol. 165, 2011, pp. 112-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeconom.2011.05.010
- Nuti, S., Wayda, B., Ranasinghe, I., Wang, S., Dreyer, R., Chen S., and Murugiah, K., "The Use of Google Trends in Health Care Research: A Systematic Review," PLoS ONE, Vol. 9, No. 10, 2014.
- Osuka, H., Hall, A., Wikswo, M., Baker, J., and Lopman, B., "Temporal Relationship Between Healthcare-Associated and Nonhealthcare-Associated Norovirus Outbreaks and Google Trends Data in the United States," Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology, Vol. 39, No. 3, 2018, pp. 355-358. https://doi.org/10.1017/ice.2017.322
- Preis, T., Moat, H., and Stanley, H., "Quantifying trading behavior in financial markets using google trends," Scientific Reports, Vol. 3, 2013, pp. 1-6.
- Triacca, U., "Non-causality: the role of the omitted variables," Economics Letters, Vol. 60, 1998, pp. 317-320. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-1765(98)00118-9
- van Wijk, D., "What can be expected from the Bitcoin?," Ph.D. dissertation, School of Economics, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands, 2013.
- Vosen, S. and Schmidt, T., "Forecasting private consumption: Survey‐based indicators vs. Google trends," Journal of Forecasting, Vol. 30, No. 6, 2011, pp. 565-578. https://doi.org/10.1002/for.1213
- Woo, D., Gordon, I., and Iarolov, V., "Bitcoin: A First Assessment. FX and Rates," Global Bank of America, Merrill Lynch, 2013.
- Yermack, D., "Is Bitcoin A Real Currency? An Economic Appraisal," Handbook of Digital Currency, Chapter 2, 2015, pp. 31-43.
- Yu, L., Zhao, Y., Tang, L., and Yang, Z., "Online big data-driven oil consumption forecasting with Google trends," International Journal of Forecasting, in press, 2019.