- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Successful Strategies for YouTube Channels Using the Network Overlap
네트워크 중복을 이용한 유튜브 채널의 성공 전략
- Received : 2020.03.12
- Accepted : 2020.03.24
- Published : 2020.03.31
Purpose Online platform companies can increase the spread of content by communicating with users who have diverse preferences through social networks. Previous studies show the mixed effect on the network overlap, and there was a limited examinations for the underlying mechanism. This study expects high academic and practical implications that can be provided by studying on the user's viewership network. The purpose of this research is to examine the effects of network overlap on the users' viewership for creators of user-generated content in YouTube. We explain the direct and in-direct effects through the content sharing and the valence of user ratings. Design/methodology/approach The data contains 45 channels and 4,085 video clips from YouTube. We control the effect of the categories, channel characteristics, and vide clip characteristics on the viewership. PROCESS macro were used to analyze the direct and in-direct effects of network overlap. Findings The analysis results showed that the network overlap directly affect on the users' viewership. The variable decreases the moderators (i.e., content sharing and the valence of user ratings). This result implies that the users can not satisfy their need for uniqueness which is achieved by content sharing and rating in the overlapped network.
Supported by : 충남대학교
- 김지선, 강현정, "SNS 상 이미지에 대한 감정이 온라인 행위에 미치는 영향," 정보시스템연구, 제28호 제4호, 2019, pp. 199-221.
- 두진희, 김정현, "페이스북 광고 유형에 따른 효과 연구: 설득 지식 모델과 기술 수용모델을 중심으로," 한국광고홍보학보, 제14권 제2호, 2012, pp. 300-330.
- 라선아, 김지호, 이준영, 김소연, "창문이 크고 천장이 높은 카페를 좋아하시나요?: '지각된 공간감'이 '순간 행복감'에 미치는 영향을 중심으로," 마케팅연구, 제33권 제4호, 2018, pp. 1-28.
- 손정민, "이용자 생산 컨텐츠 (User-Generated Content) 플랫폼에서 생산자 참여 전.후의 이용자 기여성과의 동태성에 관 한 연구," 마케팅연구, 제31권 제1호, 2016, pp. 31-55.
- 염군, 김인재, "유튜브 뷰티 채널의 선호도와 이미지에 미치는 영향 요인," 정보시스템연구, 제28호 제3권, 2019, pp. 25-38.
- 허원무, "매개효과 분석 방법의 최근 트렌드: 부트스트래핑을 이용한 단순, 다중, 이중 매개효과 분석 방법," 기업과 혁신연구, 제6호 제3권, 2013, pp. 43-59.
- Aral, S., and Dylan W., "Creating social contagion through viral product design: A randomized trial of peer influence in networks," Management Science, Vol. 57, No. 9, 2011, pp. 1623-1639. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1110.1421
- Berger, J., "Word of mouth and interpersonal communication: A review and directions for future research," Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol. 24, No. 4, 2014, pp. 586-607. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcps.2014.05.002
- Burt, R. S., Structural Holes: The Social Structure of Competition, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1992.
- Carrington, P. J., John S., and Stanley W., Models and methods in social network analysis, Vol. 28, Cambridge university press, 2005.
- Chan, T. Y., Chunhua W., and Ying X., "Measuring the lifetime value of customers acquired from google search advertising," Marketing Science Vol. 30, No. 5, 2011, pp. 837-850. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.1110.0658
- Cheong, H. J., and Margaret A. M., "Consumers' reliance on product information and recommendations found in UGC," Journal of Interactive Advertising, Vol. 8, No. 2, 2008, pp. 38-49. https://doi.org/10.1080/15252019.2008.10722141
- Chevalier, J. A., and Dina M., "The effect of word of mouth on sales: Online book reviews," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 43, No. 3, 2006, pp. 345-354. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.43.3.345
- Chintagunta, P. K., Shyam G., and Sriram V., "The effects of online user reviews on movie box office performance: Accounting for sequential rollout and aggregation across local markets," Marketing Science, Vol. 29, No. 5, 2010, pp. 944-957. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.1100.0572
- Dehghani, M., Niaki, M. K., Ramezani, I., and Sali, R., "Evaluating the influence of YouTube advertising for attraction of young customers," Computers in human behavior, Vol. 59, 2016, pp. 165-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.01.037
- Dellarocas, C., Guodong G., and Ritu N., "Are consumers more likely to contribute online reviews for hit or niche products?," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 27, No. 2, 2010, pp. 127-158. https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222270204
- Dubois, D., Bonezzi, A., and De Angelis, M., "Sharing with friends versus strangers: How interpersonal closeness influences word-of-mouth valence," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 53, No. 5, 2016, pp. 712-727. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmr.13.0312
- Easley, D., and Jon K., Networks, crowds, and markets, Vol. 8. Cambridge: Cambridge university press, 2010.
- Engel, J. F., Kegerreis, R. J., and Blackwell, R. D., "Word-of-Mouth Communication by the Innovator," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 33, No. 3, 1969, pp. 15-19. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224296903300303
- Godes, D., and Dina M., "Using online conversations to study word-of-mouth communication," Marketing science, Vol. 23, No. 4, 2004, pp. 545-560. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.1040.0071
- Goldenberg, J., Gal O. S., and Shachar R., "The quest for content: The integration of product networks and social networks in online content exploration," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 49, No. 4, 2012, pp. 452-468. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmr.11.0091
- Grewal, L., Andrew T. S., and Nicole V. C., "When posting about products on social media backfires: the negative effects of consumer identity signaling on product interest," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 56. No. 2, 2019, pp. 197-210. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022243718821960
- Hayes, A. F., Introduction to mediation, moderation, and conditional process analysis: A regression-based approach, Guilford publications, 2017.
- Hennig, T., Thorsten, K. P., Gwinner, G. W., and Dwayne D. G., "Electronic Word-of-Mouth via Consumer-Opinion Platforms: What Motivates Consumers to Articulate Themselves on the Internet?," Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol. 18, No. 1, 2004, pp. 38-52. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.10073
- Ingawale, M., Dutta, A., Roy, R., and Seetharaman, P., Network analysis of user generated content quality in Wikipedia, Online Information Review, 2013.
- Jing, P., Su, Y., Nie, L., Bai, X., Liu, J., and Wang, M., "Low-rank multi-view embedding learning for micro-video popularity prediction," IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 8, 2017, pp. 1519-1532. https://doi.org/10.1109/tkde.2017.2785784
- Katona, Z., Zubcsek, P. P., and Sarvary, M., "Network effects and personal influences: The diffusion of an online social network," Journal of marketing research, Vol. 48, No. 3, 2011, pp. 425-443. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.48.3.425
- Karahasanovic A., Brandtzæg, P. B., Heim, J., Luders, M., Vermeir, L., Pierson, J., Lievens, B., Vanattenhoven, J., and Jans, G., "Co-creation and user-generated content-elderly people's user requirements," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 25. No. 3, 2009, pp. 655-678. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2008.08.012
- Lai, K., and Dan W., "Towards understanding the external links of video sharing sites: measurement and analysis," Proceedings of the 20th international workshop on Network and operating systems support for digital audio and video, 2010.
- Lambrecht, A., Catherine T., and Caroline W., "Advertising to early trend propagators: Evidence from Twitter," Marketing Science, Vol. 37, No. 2, 2018, pp. 177-199. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.2017.1062
- Lange, P. G., "Publicly private and privately public: Social networking on YouTube," Journal of Computermediated Communication, Vol. 13, No. 1, 2007, pp. 361-380.
- Lee, D., Hosanagar, K., and Nair, H., "Advertising Content and Consumer Engagement on Social Media: Evidence from Facebook," Management Science, Vol. 64, No. 11, 2018, pp. 5105-5131. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.2017.2902
- Lovett, M. J., Renana P., and Ron S., "On brands and word of mouth," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 50, No. 4, 2013, pp. 427-444. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmr.11.0458
- Ma, E. K., and Kim, M. S., "An Empirical Study on Knowledge Sharing among Individuals in Public Institutions: A Social Exchange Theory Approach," Information Systems Review, Vol. 7, No. 1, 2005, pp. 195-217.
- Majchrzak, A., Rice, R. E., Malhotra, A., King, N., and Ba, S., "Technology adaptation: The case of a computer-supported inter-organizational virtual team," MIS quarterly, Vol. 24, No. 4, 2000, pp. 569-600. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250948
- Moorman, C., Gerald Z., and Rohit D., "Relationships between providers and users of market research: The dynamics of trust within and between organizations," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 29, No. 3, 1992, pp. 314-328. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224379202900303
- Oestreicher, S. G., and Arun S., "Recommendation networks and the long tail of electronic commerce," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 36, 2012, pp. 65-83. https://doi.org/10.2307/41410406
- Owusu, R. A., Mutshinda, C. M., Antai, I., Dadzie, K. Q., and Winston, E. M., "Which UGC features drive web purchase intent? A spike-and-slab Bayesian Variable Selection Approach," Internet Research, Vol. 26, No. 1, 2016, pp. 22-37. https://doi.org/10.1108/IntR-06-2014-0166
- Schweidel, D. A., and Wendy W. M., "Listening in on social media: A joint model of sentiment and venue format choice," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 51, No. 4, 2014, pp. 387-402. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmr.12.0424
- Stephen, A. T., and Olivier T., "Deriving value from social commerce networks," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 47, No. 2, 2010, pp. 215-228. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.47.2.215
- Stephen, A. T., and Donald R. L., "How word-of-mouth transmission encouragement affects consumers' transmission decisions, receiver selection, and diffusion speed," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol. 33, No. 4, 2016, pp. 755-766. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2016.08.003
- Susarla, A., Oh, J. H., and Tan, Y., "Social networks and the diffusion of usergenerated content: Evidence from YouTube," Information Systems Research, Vol. 23, No. 1, 2012, pp. 23-41. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1100.0339
- Tuli, K. R., Sundar G. B., and Ajay K. K., "Ties that Bind: The Impact of Multiple Types of Ties with a Customeron Sales Growth and Sales Volatility," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 47, No. 1, 2010, pp. 36-50. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.47.1.36
- Trusov, M., Bucklin, R. E., and Pauwels, K., "Effects of Word-of-Mouth Versus Traditional Marketing: Findings from an Internet Social Networking Site," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 73, No. 5, 2009, pp. 90-102. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.73.5.90
- Van den Bulte, C., and Stefan W., Social Networks and Marketing, Cambridge, MA: Marketing Science Institute, 2007.
- Van den Bulte, C., and Yogesh V. J.., "New product diffusion with influentials and imitators," Marketing Science, Vol. 26, No. 3, 2007, pp. 400-421. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.1060.0224
- Xu C., Kunfeng L., Dan W., and Jiangchuan L., UGC video sharing: Measurement and analysis, Intelligent Multimedia Communication: Techniques and Applications, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2010, 367-402.
- Yoganarasimhan, H., "Impact of social network structure on content propagation: A study using YouTube data," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Vol. 10, No. 1, 2012, pp. 111-150. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11129-011-9105-4
- Zhang, Y., Moe, W. W., and Schweidel, D. A., "Modeling the role of message content and influencers in social media rebroadcasting," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Elsevier, Vol. 34, No. 1, 2017, pp. 100-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2016.07.003