- Volume 25 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of diaphragm flexibility on the seismic design acceleration of precast concrete diaphragms
- Zhang, Dichuan (School of Engineering and Digital Sciences, Narzarbayev University) ;
- Fleischman, Robert B. (Department of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics, University of Arizona) ;
- Lee, Deuckhang (Department of Architectural Engineering, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2019.05.18
- Accepted : 2020.02.17
- Published : 2020.03.25
A new seismic design methodology for precast concrete diaphragms has been developed and incorporated into the current American seismic design code. This design methodology recognizes that diaphragm inertial forces during earthquakes are highly influenced by higher dynamic vibration modes and incorporates the higher mode effect into the diaphragm seismic design acceleration determination using a first mode reduced method, which applies the response modification coefficient only to the first mode response but keeps the higher mode response unreduced. However the first mode reduced method does not consider effects of diaphragm flexibility, which plays an important role on the diaphragm seismic response especially for the precast concrete diaphragm. Therefore this paper investigated the effect of diaphragm flexibility on the diaphragm seismic design acceleration for precast concrete shear wall structures through parametric studies. Several design parameters were considered including number of stories, diaphragm geometries and stiffness. It was found that the diaphragm flexibility can change the structural dynamic properties and amplify the diaphragm acceleration during earthquakes. Design equations for mode contribution factors considering the diaphragm flexibility were first established through modal analyses to modify the first mode reduced method in the current code. The modified first mode reduced method has then been verified through nonlinear time history analyses.
Supported by : National Science Foundation (NSF)
- ACI 318-14 (2014), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary, ACI committee 318.
- ASCE 7-10 (2010). Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures, American Society of Civil Engineers.
- ASCE 7-16 (2016). ASCE Minimum Design Loads and Associated Criteria for Buildings and Other Structures, American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Belleri, A., Moaveni, B. and Restrepo, J.I. (2014), "Damage assessment through structural identification of a three-story large-scale precast concrete structure", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 43(1), 61-76. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2332. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2332
- Belleri, A., Torquati, M., Riva, P. and Nascimbene, R. (2015), "Vulnerability assessment and retrofit solutions of precast industrial structures", Earthq. Struct., 8(3), 801-820. http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.8.3.801. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.8.3.801
- Bournas, D.A., Negro, P. and Molina, F.J. (2013), "Pseudodynamic tests on a full-scale 3-storey precast concrete building: behavior of the mechanical connections and floor diaphragms", Eng. Struct., 57, 609-627. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.05.046. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.05.046
- Building Seismic Safety Council, Committee IT6 (2014), Precast Concrete Diaphragm Design, Proposal IT06-002-Revise ASCE/SEI 7-10 Sections 14.2.4, NEHRP.
- DSDM Project Task Group (2014), Seismic Design Methodology Document for Precast Concrete Diaphragms, Project 08-07 Research Product, Charles Pankow Foundation.
- Eberhard, M.O. and Sozen, M.A. (1993) "Behavior-based method to determine design shear in earthquake-resistant walls", ASCE J. Struct. Eng., 119, 619-640. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1993)119:2(619). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1993)119:2(619)
- Farrow, K.T. and Fleischman, R.B. (2003) "Effect of dimension and detail on the capacity of precast concrete parking structure diaphragms", PCI J., 48(5), 46-61.
- Fleischman, R.B. and Farrow, K.T. (2001), "Dynamic response of perimeter lateral-system structures with flexible diaphragms", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 30(5), 745-763. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.36
- Fleischman, R.B., Farrow, K.T. and Eastman, K. (2002) "Seismic response of perimeter lateral-system structures with highly flexible diaphragms", Earthq. Spectra, 18(2), 251-286. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1490547
- Fleischman, R.B., Restrepo, J.I., Naito, C.J., Sause, R., Zhang, D. and Schoettler, M. (2013), "Integrated analytical and experimental research to develop a new seismic design methodology for precast concrete diaphragms", J. Struct. Eng., 139(7), 1192-1204. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000734. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000734
- Fleischman, R.B., Sause, R., Pessiki, S. and Rhodes, A.B. (1998), "Seismic behavior of precast parking structure diaphragms", PCI J., 43(1), 38-53. https://doi.org/10.15554/pcij.01011998.38.53
- Ghosh, S.K., Cleland, N.M. and Naito, C.J. (2017), "Seismic design of precast concrete diaphragms", NEHRP Seismic Design Technical Brief No. 13.
- Iverson, J.K. and Hawkins, N.M. (1994), "Performance of precast/prestressed concrete building structures during Northridge Earthquake", PCI J., 39(2), 38-55.
- Lee, H.J. and Kuchma, D.A. (2008), "Seismic response of parking structures with precast concrete diaphragms", PCI J., 53(2), 71-94. https://doi.org/10.15554/pcij.03012008.71.94
- Naito, C. and Ren, R. (2013), "An evaluation method for precast concrete diaphragm connectors based on structural testing", PCI J., 58(2), 106-118. https://doi.org/10.15554/pcij.03012013.106.118
- Negro, P., Bournas, D.A. and Molina, F.J. (2013), "Pseudodynamic tests on a full-scale 3-storey precast concrete building: global response", Eng. Struct., 57, 594-608. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.05.047. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.05.047
- Oliva, M.G. (2000), "Testing of the JVI flange connector for precast concrete double-Tee system", Structures and Materials Test Laboratory, College of Engineering, University of Wisconsim, Madison, WI, June.
- Ren, R. and Naito, C. (2013), "Precast concrete diaphragm connector performance database", ASCE J. Struct. Eng., 139(1), 15-27. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000598. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000598
- Rodriguez, M., Restrepo, J.I. and Carr, A.J. (2002), "Earthquake induced floor horizontal accelerations in buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31(3), 693-718. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.149. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.149
- Schoettler, M.J., Belleri, A., Zhang, D., Restrepo, J. and Fleischman, R.B. (2009), "Preliminary results of the shake-table testing for development of a diaphragm seismic design mythology", PCI J., 54(1), 100-124. https://doi.org/10.15554/pcij.01012009.100.124
- Shaikh, A.F. and Feile, E.P. (2004), "Load testing of a precast concrete double-tee flange connector", PCI J., 49(3), 84-95. https://doi.org/10.15554/pcij.05012004.84.94
- Tsampras, G., Sause, R., Zhang, D., Fleischman, R., Restrepo, J., Mar, D. and Maffei, J. (2016), "Development of deformable connection for earthquake-resistant buildings to reduce floor accelerations and force responses", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 45(9), 1473-1494. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2718
- Wan, G., Fleischman, R.B. and Zhang, D. (2012), "Effect of spandrel beam to double tee connection characteristic of flexure-controlled precast diaphragms", ASCE J. Struct. Eng., 138(2), 247-258. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000426. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000426
- Wan, G., Zhang, D., Fleischman, R.B. and Naito, C.J. (2015), "A coupled connector element for nonlinear static pushover analysis of precast concrete diaphragms", Eng. Struct., 86(1), 58-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.12.029. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.12.029
- Wood, S.L., Stanton, J.F. and Hawkins, N.M. (2000), "New seismic design provisions for diaphragms in precast concrete parking structures", PCI J., 45(1), 50-65.
- Zhang, D. (2010), "Examination of precast concrete diaphragm seismic response by three-dimensional nonlinear dynamic analyses", Ph.D. Dissertation, Univ. of Arizona, Tucson, AZ.
- Zhang, D. and Fleischman, R.B. (2016), "Establishment of performance-based seismic design factors for precast concrete floor diaphragms", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 45, 675-698. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2679. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2679
- Zhang, D. and Fleischman, R.B. (2019), "Verification of diaphragm seismic design factors for precast concrete parking structures", Struct. Eng. Mech., 71(6), 643-656. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2019.71.6.643. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2019.71.6.643
- Zhang, D., Fleischman, R. and Shon, C. (2016a). "Preliminary analytical study on seismic ductility demand of wood diaphragms", Adv. Struct. Eng., 19(1), 104-115. https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433215622874. https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433215622874
- Zhang, D., Fleischman, R.B., Naito, C. and Ren, R. (2011), "Experimental evaluation of pretopped precast diaphragm critical flexure joint under seismic demands", ASCE J. Struct. Eng., 137(10), 1063-1074. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000352. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000352
- Zhang, D., Fleischman, R.B., Naito, C.J. and Zhang, Z. (2016b), "Development of diaphragm connector elements for three-dimensional nonlinear dynamic analysis of precast concrete structures", Adv. Struct. Eng., 19(2), 187-202. https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433215624319. https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433215624319
- Zhang, D., Fleischman, R.B., Schoettler, M.J., Restrepo, J.I. and Mielke, M. (2019), "Precast diaphragm response in a half-scale shake table test", ASCE J. Struct. Eng., 145(5), 04019024. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0002304. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0002304