- Volume 45 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Changes in the Components of Red Ginseng after Irradiation and the Korean Consumer's Perception of Irradiated Food
- Choi, Yoon-Seok (Department of Bio-convergence Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Kim, Jung-Min (Department of Bio-convergence Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Han, Eun-Ok (Department of Education and Research, Korea Academy of Nuclear Safety)
- 투고 : 2020.02.04
- 심사 : 2020.03.05
- 발행 : 2020.03.31
Background: We examined changes in red ginseng components after different doses of irradiation were applied. We also evaluated what housewives and teachers know about irradiated food, as well as their perceptions of and attitudes toward it. Materials and Methods: General nutrients and unique components of irradiated ginseng were then analyzed. Education on irradiated foods and red ginseng was provided to teachers and housewives on two occasions, and changes in their behaviors were evaluated via a qualitative survey. Results and Discussion: The ideal radiation dose to reduce the number of bacteria without changing the unique components of red ginseng is 7.5 kGy. Notably, after educational seminars on this topic, consumers' knowledge, attitudes toward, and perceptions of irradiated ginseng compared to non-irradiated red ginseng changed significantly. Conclusion: It is necessary to provide consumers with information on irradiated foods to promote the growth of the domestic food industry, and to improve public knowledge of the safety and effects associated with the irradiation of food.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Nuclear Safety & Security Commission
- Namba T. The encyclopedia of Wakan-Yaku with color pictures I. Osaka, Japan: Hoikusha; 1980.
- Lee DC, Lee MO, Kim CY, Clifford DH. Effect of ether, ethanol and aqueous extracts of ginseng on cardiovascular function in dogs. Can J Comp Med. 1981;45:182-187.
- Jie YH, Cammisuli S, Baggiolini M. Immunomodulatory effects of Panax Ginseng C.A. Meyer in the mouse. Agents Actions. 1984; 15:386-391. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01972376
- Kim YC, Kim SR, Markelonis GJ, Oh TH. Ginsenosides Rb1 and Rg3 protect cultured rat cortical cells from glutamate-induced neurodegeneration. J Neurosci Res. 1998;53:426-432. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4547(19980815)53:4<426::AID-JNR4>3.0.CO;2-8
- Joo CN, Koo JD, Kim DS, Lee SJ. Biochemical studies of ginseng saponins. XI. The effects of ginseng saponins on alcohol dehydrogenase. Hanguk Saenghwa Hakhoe Chi. 1977:10:109-120.
- Tahara M, Kono H, Mune S, Odashima S. Action of ginsenosides on tumor cells: growth inhibition and redifferentiation of neoplasia. Wakan Yaku Gakkaishi. 1985;2:170-171.
- Yokozawa T, Kobayashi T, Oura H, Kawashima Y. Studies on the mechanism of the hypoglycemic activity of ginsenoside-Rb2 in streptozotocin-diabetic rats. Chem Pharm Bull. 1985;33:869-872. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.33.869
- Park JD. Recent studies on the chemical constituents of Korean ginseng (Panax ginseng CA Meyer). Korean J Ginseng Sci. 1996; 20:389-415.
- Shibata S, Sanata S, Kondo N, Shoji J, Tanaka O. Studies on the saponins of ginseng. I. Structure of ginseng-R0, Rb1, Rb2, RC and Rd. Chem Pharm Bull. 1974;22:421-428. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.22.421
- Kitagawa I, Taniyama T, Shibuya H, Noda T, Yoshikawa M. Chemical studies on crude drug processing. V. On the constituents of ginseng radix rubra (2): Comparison of the constituents of white ginseng and red ginseng prepared from the same Panax ginseng root. Yakugaku Zasshi. 1987;107:495-505. https://doi.org/10.1248/yakushi1947.107.7_495
- Keum YS, Park KK, Lee JM, Chun KS, Park JH, Lee SK, et al. Antioxidant and anti-tumor promoting activities of the methanol extract of heat-processed ginseng. Cancer Lett. 2000;150:41-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(99)00369-9
- Kim SE, Lee YH, Park JH, Lee SK. Ginsenoside-Rs3, a new dioltype ginseng saponin, selectively elevates protein levels of p53 and p21WAF1 leading to induction of apoptosis in SK-HEP-1 cells. Anticancer Res. 1999;19:487-91.
- Kim WY, Kim JM, Han SB, Lee SK, Kim ND, Park MK, et al. Steaming of ginseng at high temperature enhances biological activity. J Nat Prod. 2000;63:1702-1704. https://doi.org/10.1021/np990152b
- Bao HY, Zhang J, Yeo SJ, Myung CS, Kim HM, Kim JM, et al. Memory enhancing and neuroprotective effects of selected ginsenosides. Arch Pharm Res. 2005;28:335-342. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02977802
- Jung KY, Kim DS, Oh SR, Lee IS, Lee JJ, Park JD, et al. Platelet activating factor antagonist activity of ginsenosides. Biol Pharm Bull. 1998;21:79-80. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.21.79
- Jo HK, Sung MC, Ko SK. The comparison of ginseng prosapogenin composition and contents in Red and Black ginseng. Korean J Pharmacogn. 2011;42:361-365.
- Yun TK, Lee YS, Lee YH, Yun HY. Cancer chemopreventive compounds of red ginseng produced from Panax ginseng CA Meyer. J Ginseng Res. 2001;25:107-111.
- Jeon BH, Kim HS, Chang SJ. Effect of saponin and non-saponin of Panax ginseng on the blood pressure in the renovascular hypertensive rats. J Ginseng Res. 1999;23:81-87.
- Kang SY, Kim ND. The antihypertensive effect of red ginseng saponin and the endothelium-derived vascular relaxation. Korean J Ginseng Sci. 1992;16:175-182.
- Kim DH, Kwak KH, Lee KJ, Kim SJ, Shin YC, Chun BG, et al. Effects of Korea red ginseng total saponin on repeated unpredictable stress-induced changes of proliferation of neural progenitor cells and BDNF mRNA expression in adult rat hippocampus. J Ginseng Res. 2004;28:94-103. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2004.28.2.094
- Petkov VD, Mosharrof AH. Effects of standardized ginseng extract on learning, memory and physical capabilities. Am J Chin Med. 1987;15:19-29. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X87000047
- Lee JH, Park HJ. Effects of lipophilic fraction from Korean red ginseng on platelet aggregation and blood coagulation in rats fed with corn oil and beeftallow diet. Korean J Ginseng Sci. 1995; 3:206-211.
- Bae KC, Kim SH. Antioxidant effects of Korea ginseng radix, Korea red ginseng radix and total saponin. Korean J Orient Med Pathol. 1998;12:72-81.
- Jeon YE, Kim JK, Yin XF, Lee JW, Nam JS, Kang IJ. Oral toxicity study on the 90-day repeated-dose of 50 kGy irradiated methanol extract powder of red ginseng. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr. 2011;40:824-831. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.6.824
- Yeo G, Park JY, Cho MS. The perception and preference of redginseng and green tea Yackwa among Korean, Chinese, Japanese female consumer. J East Asian Soc Diet Life. 2013;23:533-545.
- Korea Food and Drug Administration. Food Standards & Specifications. Seoul, Korea: Food and Drug Administration; 2012.
- Kim YM. The position of WHO on food irradiation. J Food Hyg Saf. 1994;9:S13-S16.
- World Health Organization. Wholesomeness of irradiated food: report of a Joint FAO/IAEA/WHO Expert Committee [Internet]. Geneva, Switzerland; World Health Organization; 1981 [cited 2020 Mar 1]. Available from: https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/41508.
- World Health Organization. Food irradiation: a technique for preserving and improving the safety of food. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1988.
- General Standard for Irradiated Foods (CODEX STAN 106-1983, REV.1-2003) [Internet]. Rome, Italy: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations; 2008 [cited 2020 Mar 1]. Available from: http://www.fao.org/input/download/standards/16/ CXS_106e.pdf.
- Yoon HS, Park S, Sung R, Chang Y, Cho T, Kang M, et al. Studies on detection method of irradiated foods. Seoul, Korea: Korea Food & Drug Administration; 2012.
- Kim M. Study on the management trend of domestic and foreign countries toward food irradiation. Seoul, Korea: Korea Food & Drug Administration; 2004.
- Kim H, Kim M. Consumer attitudes towards irradiated foods. J Korean Home Econ Assoc. 2003;41:119-130.
- Park SH, Seo HY. Improvement of public understanding on irradiation medical supplies. Gwacheon, Korea: Ministry of Science and Technology; 2005.
- Byun MW, Lee JW. Application of irradiation technology for food safety and security. Food Sci Ind. 2003;36:25-41.
- Choi J, Nam K, Li X, Kim H, Cho H, Hwang K, et al. Changes of surface color formation and constituents of white ginseng prepared with peeling by using barker. Korean J Crop Sci. 2008;53:369-375.
- Kim MJ, Li X, Han JS, Lee SE, Choi JE. Effect of blue and red LED irradiation on growth characteristics and saponin contents in Panax ginseng CA Meyer. Korean J Med Crop Sci. 2009;17:187-191.
- Park CG, Jeon BS, Yang JW. The chemical components of Korean ginseng. Food Ind Nutr. 2003;8:10-23.
- Kang IJ. Safety evaluations of irradiated foods. J Korean Soc Food Preserv. 2003;10:252-260.
- Kim H, Un J. Food irradiation 1. J Korean Vet Med Assoc. 2001;37:447-456.
- Gwon JH. Irradiated food and consumers’ acceptability. Food Ind 1995;131:25-43.
- Park T. Irradiated food and media promotion strategies. Food Preserv Process Ind. 2010;9:70-74.
- Langford I, Claire Morris C, O'Riordan T. Public reactions to risk: social structures, images of science and the role of trust. In: Bennett P, Calman K, editors. Risk communication and public health. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 1999. p. 33-50.
- Shon KY. Development of decision-making model incorporating the public risk perception to nuclear power in Korea [master's thesis]. Seoul, Korea; Seoul National University; 2000.
- Roberts DA. Scientific literacy/science literacy. In: Abell SK, Lederman NG, editors. Handbook of research on science education. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 2007. p. 729-780.
- Sadler TD. Informal reasoning regarding socioscientific issues: a critical review of research. J Res Sci Teach. 2004;41:513-536. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.20009
- Zeidler DL, The role of moral reasoning on socioscientific issues and discourse in science education. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Press; 2003.
- Zeidler DL, Sadler TD, Simmons ML, Howes EV. Beyond STS: a research‐based framework for socioscientific issues education. Sci Educ. 2005;89:357-377. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.20048