- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Pilot Study for Analysis of TV Ads of Local Governments
지방자치단체 광고효용성에 대한 탐색적 연구: KTX 광고노출 환경을 중심으로
- Song, Seungyeol (Dept. of Mass Communication, Graduate School, Pukyong National University) ;
- Lim, Sang Guk (School of Contents, Major in Virtual Reality Contents, Youngsan University) ;
- Kim, Jung Kyu (Dept. of Mass Communication, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2019.10.10
- Accepted : 2019.12.09
- Published : 2020.01.31
Along side with the rapid growth of local governments' advertising bills, there are few studies focused on the effectiveness of these ads. Especially one of the media being used by the local governments is the Korea Express Train (KTX), where they advertise in the train coaches' KTX video monitor. Unfortunately the ads in KTX are exposed without audio mostly. The current study, therefore, probed on the effectiveness of these ads. This study utilized transportation theory and content analysis methodology to give insight to its discourse. We established two analysis units (camera and subtitles), and then analyzed 107 local government ads. From the camera analysis, it is observed that local governments' festival and tour promotion ads more often employ dynamic angles such as drone shot and long shot. Also, from subtitles usage analysis, it is observed that many of the ads make use of large size titles and subtitles which could prevent viewers seeing visual shots. In the special case audio-less KTX ads, this study recommends emphasis on subtitles which will enhance the ad effectiveness of the ad messages.
- S.W. Shim, M.H. Kim, and Y.J. Yim, "Content Analysis of OOH Advertising Used by Government," Journal of Outdoor Advertising Research, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 49-77, 2015.
- M.C. Green and T.C. Brock, "The Role of Transportation in the Persuasiveness of Public Narratives," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 79, No. 5, pp. 701-721, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.521
- J.K. Kim, "Present and Future Storytelling Study," The Society of Korean Photography, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 46-55, 2014.
- S.G. Lim and C.Y. Kim, "A Study on the 21st Century Digital Visuality Through Lacan's Notion of the Real Gaze," Journal of Korea Multimedia Society, Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 638-647, 2018. https://doi.org/10.9717/KMMS.2018.21.5.638
- C.H. Gi, "The Impact of the Use of TV Commercial and Digital Outdoor Ad in Combination on the Effectiveness of Ad," The Korean Journal of Consumer And Advertising Psychology, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 525-550, 2011. https://doi.org/10.21074/kjlcap.2011.12.3.525
- M.W. Choi, "A Theoretical Study on the Effectiveness of Outdoor Advertising," Journal of Outdoor Advertising Research, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 35-54, 2006.
- S.H. Kim and S.I. Lim, "A Study on Case Analysis of Simulation for Effective Information Transfer in Digital Images," Joural of Digital Design, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 435-443, 2007. https://doi.org/10.17280/jdd.2007.7.4.045
- I.D. Cho, "The Effect of Background Music in TV-Commercials on Brand Image," The Korean Journal of Advertising and Public Relations, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 35-72, 2005.
- W.J. Yoo, H.J. Suh, and N.M. Moon, "Influences of a Sound Design of Media Contents on Communication Effects," Joural of Broadcast Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 602-611, 2008. https://doi.org/10.5909/JBE.2008.13.5.602
- K.K. Kim, S.B. Baek, H.M. Lee, and D.H. Chung, "Effects of Visual Character Portal Site Advertising on Attention, Memory, Evaluation, and Intention," Korean Joural of Broadcasting and Telecommunication Studies, Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 37-74, 2013.