- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Why Popular Employees Engage in Knowledge Sharing: The Motivational Approach
왜 인기 있는 직원이 지식공유를 하는가: 동기부여 관점에서
- Received : 2020.02.05
- Accepted : 2020.03.06
- Published : 2020.03.31
The purpose of this study is to identify the antecedents that impact on the individual knowledge sharing based on motivational perspectives. Specifically, the authors investigate the roles of general self-efficacy and popularity on knowledge sharing drawn on costly signaling theory and trait activation theory. Data from 227 pairs of employees and coworkers working in companies located in South Korea supported the model. General self-efficacy was positively related to knowledge sharing and popularity was positively associated to knowledge sharing. Also, by taking an interactional approach, our study demonstrated the moderating effect of popularity on the relationship between general self-efficacy and knowledge sharing. The positive relationship between general self-efficacy and knowledge sharing is significant when popularity is low, but not significant when popularity is high. Our findings suggest that the various motivation types including intrinsic and extrinsic motivations for knowledge sharing of individuals exist simultaneously and these motivations have an interactive effect on knowledge sharing.
Supported by : 국민대학교
- 김보영 2016. "동료 간 지식공유에 관한 연구: 동료관계의 질과 목표성향의 상호작용효과," 지식경영연구, 17(4), pp. 147-162.
- 김창식, 곽기영. 2015. "조직구성원의 네트워크위치가 지식공유에 미치는 영향'" 지식경영연구, 16(2), pp. 67-89.
- 이동윤, 심덕섭, 김형진. 2018. "지식자기효능감이 종업원의 지식공유의도에 미치는 영향: 개인성과 기대 및 과업성과기대의 매개효과 검증," 지식경영연구, 19(3), pp. 31-46.
- 이학식, 임지훈 2008. 구조방정식 모형분석과 AMOS 7.0. 서울: 법문사.
- Aiken, L. S., West, S. G., and Reno, R. R. 1991. Multiple Regression: Testing and Interpreting Interactions, Sage Publications.
- Amabile, T. M. 1982. "Social Psychology of Creativity: A Consensual Assessment Technique," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 43(5), pp. 997-1013. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.117
- Amabile, T. M., Goldfarb, P., and Brackfleld, S. C. 1990. "Social Influences on Creativity: Evaluation, Coaction, and Surveillance," Creativity Research Journal, 3(1), pp. 6-21. https://doi.org/10.1080/10400419009534330
- Bamberger, P. 2009. "Employee Help-Seeking: Antecedents, Consequences and New Insights for Future Research," Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management, 28(1), pp. 49-98.
- Bandura, A. 1977. "Self-Efficacy: Toward a Unifying Theory of Behavioral Change," Psychological Review, 84(2), pp. 191-215. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- Bird, R. L. B., and Bird, D. W. 1997. "Delayed Reciprocit y and Tolerated Thef t: The Behavioral Ecology of Food-Sharing Strategies," Current Anthropology, 38(1), pp. 49-78. https://doi.org/10.1086/204581
- Blau, P. M. 1955. The Dynamics of Bureaucracy. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- Bowles, S., Gintis, H., and Osborne, M. 2001. "The Determinants of Earnings: A Behavioral Approach," Journal of Economic Literature, 39(4), pp. 1137-1176. https://doi.org/10.1257/jel.39.4.1137
- Brown, R. B., and Woodland, M. J. 1999. "Managing Knowledge Wisely: A Case Study in Organisational Behavior," Journal of Applied Management Studies, 8(2), pp. 175-198.
- Bukowski, W. M., and Hoza, B. 1989. Popularity and Friendship: Issues in Theory, Measurement, and Outcome, In T. J. Berndt & G. W. Ladd (eds.), Peer relationships in child development, pp. 15-45.
- Cabrera, A., and Cabrera, E. F. 2002. "Knowledge - Sharing Dilemmas," Organization Studies, 23(5), pp. 687-710. https://doi.org/10.1177/0170840602235001
- Cabrera, A., Collins, W. C., and Salgado, J. F. 2006. "Determinants of Individual Engagement in Knowledge Sharing," The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 17(2), pp. 245-264. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585190500404614
- Chanin, M. N., and Shapiro, H. J. 1984. "Dialectical and Devil's Advocate Problem-Solving," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 1(3), pp. 159-170. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01733481
- Chen, G., Gully, S. M., and Eden, D. 2004. "General Self-Efficacy and Self-Esteem: Toward Theoretical and Empirical Distinction between Correlated Self-Evaluations," Journal of Organizational Behavior, 25(3), pp. 375-395. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.251
- Chen, G., Gully, S. M., Whiteman, J. A., and Kilcullen, R. N. 2000. "Examination of Relationships among Trait-Like Individual Differences, State-Like Individual Differences, and Learning Performance," Journal of Applied Psychology, 85(6), pp. 835-847. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.85.6.835
- Chen, L., Shadbolt, N. R., Goble, C., Tao, F., Cox, S. J., Puleston, C., and Smart, P. R. 2003. "Towards a Knowledge-Based Approach to Semantic Service Composition," International Semantic Web Conference, (2870), pp. 319-334.
- Connelly, B. L., Certo, S. T., Ireland, R. D., and Reutzel, C. R. 2011. "Signaling Theory: A Review and Assessment," Journal of Management, 37(1), pp. 39-67.
- Daniels, E., and Leaper, C. 2006. "A Longitudinal Investigation of Sport Participation, Peer Acceptance, and Self-Esteem among Adolescent Girls and Boys," Sex Roles, 55(11-12), pp. 875-880. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11199-006-9138-4
- Davenport, T. H., and Prusak, L. 1997. Information Ecology : Mastering the Information and Knowledge Environment, Oxford University Press on Demand.
- Edmondson, A. 1999. "Psychological Safety and Learning Behavior in Work Teams," Administrative Science Quarterly, 44(2), pp. 350-383. https://doi.org/10.2307/2666999
- Ewing, J., and Keenan, F. 2001. "Sharing the Wealth," Business Week, (3724), pp. 36-36.
- Gagne, M. 2009. "A Model of Knowledge-Sharing Motivation," Human Resource Management, 48(4), pp. 571-589. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.20298
- Gagne, M., and Deci, E. L. 2005. "Self-Determination Theory and Work Motivation," Journal of Organizational Behavior, 26(4), pp. 331-362. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.322
- Gong, Y., Kim, T. Y., Lee, D. R., and Zhu, J. 2013. "A Multilevel Model of Team Goal Orientation, Information Exchange, and Creativity," Academy of Management Journal, 56(3), pp. 827-851. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2011.0177
- Grolnick, W. S., and Ryan, R. M. 1987. "Autonomy in Children's Learning: An Experimental and Individual Difference Investigation," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 52(5), pp. 890-898. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1680
- Hawkes, K. 1991. "Showing Off: Tests of an Hypothesis About Men's Foraging Goals," Ethology and Sociobiology, 12(1), pp. 29-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/0162-3095(91)90011-E
- Hawkes, K., Altman, J., Beckerman, S., Grinker, R. R., Harpending, H., Jeske, R. J. and Yellen, J. E. 1993. "Why Hunter-Gatherers Work: An Ancient Version of the Problem of Public Goods [and comments and reply]," Current Anthropology, 34(4), pp. 341-361. https://doi.org/10.1086/204182
- Jarvenpaa, S. L., and Staples, D. S. 2001. "Exploring Perceptions of Organizational Ownership of Information and Expertise," Journal of Management Information Systems, 18(1), pp. 151-183. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.2001.11045673
- Judge, T. A. 1997. "The Dispositional Causes of Job Satisfaction: A Core Evaluations Approach," Research in Organizational Behavior, (19), pp. 151-188.
- Kanfer, R., and Ackerman, P. 2000. "Individual Differences in Work Motivation: Further Explorations of a Trait Framework," Applied psychology, 49(3), pp. 470-482. https://doi.org/10.1111/1464-0597.00026
- Kanfer, R., and Heggestad, E. D. 1997. "Motivational Traits and Skills: A Person-Centered Approach to Work Motivation," Research in Organizational Behavior, 19, pp. 1-56.
- Koestner, R., and Losier, G. F. 2002. Distinguishing Three Ways of Being Highly Motivated: A Closer Look at Introjection, Identification, and Intrinsic Motivation, In E. L. Deci & R. M. Ryan (eds.), University of Rochester Press, pp. 101-121.
- Lam, A. 2000. "Tacit Knowledge, Organizational Learning and Societal Institutions: An Integrated Framework," Organization Studies, 21(3), pp. 487-513. https://doi.org/10.1177/0170840600213001
- Liao, L. F. 2008. "Impact of Manager's Social Power on R&D Employees' Knowledge-Sharing Behavior," International Journal of Technology Management, 41(1-2), pp. 169-182.
- Liebowitz, J., and Megbolugbe, I. 2003. "A Set of Frameworks to Aid the Project Manager in Conceptualizing and Implementing Knowledge Management Initiatives," International Journal of Project Management, 21(3), pp. 189-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-7863(02)00093-5
- Lin, W. B. 2008. "The Effect of Knowledge Sharing Model," Expert Systems with Applications, 34(2), pp. 1508-1521. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2007.01.015
- Lu, L., Leung, K., and Koch, P. T. 2006. "Managerial Knowledge Sharing: The Role of Individual, Interpersonal, and Organizational Factors," Management and Organization Review, 2(1), pp. 15-41. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-8784.2006.00029.x
- McGraw, K. O., and McCullers, J. C. 1979. "Evidence of A Detrimental Effect of Extrinsic Incentives on Breaking a Mental Set," Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 15(3), pp. 285-294. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1031(79)90039-8
- Mehrabian, A. 1997. "Analysis of Affiliation-Related Traits in Terms of the PAD Temperament Model," The Journal of Psychology, 131(1), pp. 101-117. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223989709603508
- Netemeyer, R. G., Boles, J. S., McKee, D. O., and McMurrian, R. 1997. "An Investigation into the Antecedents of Organizational Citizenship Behaviors in a Personal Selling Context," Journal of Marketing, 61(3), pp. 85-98. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299706100107
- Newcomb, A. F., Bukowski, W. M., and Pattee, L. 1993. "Children's Peer Relations: A Meta-Analytic Review of Popular, Rejected, Neglected, Controversial, and Average Sociometric Status," Psychological Bulletin, 113(1), pp. 99-128. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.113.1.99
- Nonaka, I., and Takeuchi, H. 1995. The Knowledge - Creating Company : How Japanese Companies Create the Dynamics of Innovation, 29(4), Oxford University Press.
- Ostrom, E. 1990. Governing the Commons: The Evolution of Institutions for Collective Action, Cambridge University press.
- Park, J., Chae, H., and Choi, J. N. 2017. "The Need for Status as a Hidden Motive of Knowledge-Sharing Behavior: An Application of Costly Signaling Theory," Human Performance, 30(1), pp. 21-37. https://doi.org/10.1080/08959285.2016.1263636
- Parker, S. K., Williams, H. M., & Turner, N. 2006. "Modeling the antecedents of proactive behavior at work," Journal of applied psychology, 91(3), pp. 636-652. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.91.3.636
- Renzl, B. 2008. "Trust in Management and Knowledge Sharing: The Mediating Effects of Fear and Knowledge Documentation," Omega, 36(2), pp. 206-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2006.06.005
- Rubin, K. H., Bukowski, W., Parker, J. G., Damon, W., and Eisenberg, N. 2006. Handbook of Child Psychology: Vol. 3. Social, Emotional, and Personality Development, Cambridge University Press
- Scott, B. A., and Judge, T. A. 2009. "The Popularity Contest at Work: Who Wins, Why, and What do They Receive?," Journal of Applied Psychology, 94(1), pp. 20-33. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0012951
- Sheldon, K. M., and Elliot, A. J. 1998. "Not all Personal Goals are Personal: Comparing Autonomous and Controlled Reasons for Goals as Predictors of Effort and Attainment," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 24(5), pp. 546-557. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167298245010
- Sparrowe, R. T., Liden, R. C., Wayne, S. J., and Kraimer, M. L. 2001. "Social Networks and the Performance of Individuals and Groups," Academy of Management Journal, 44(2), pp. 316-325.
- Spender J. C, and Grant, R. M. 1996. "Knowledge and t he Firm," Strategic Management Journal, 17, pp. 5-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250171103
- Srivastava, A., Bartol, K. M., and Locke, E. A. 2006. "Empowering Leadership in Management Teams: Effects on Knowledge Sharing, Efficacy, and Performance," Academy of Management Journal, 49(6), pp. 1239-1251. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2006.23478718
- Stevens, L. 2000. "Incentives for sharing," Knowledge Management, 3(10), pp. 54-58.
- Tagliaventi, M. R., Bertolotti, F., and Macri, D. M. 2010. "A Perspective on Practice in Interunit Knowledge Sharing," European Management Journal, 28(5), pp. 331-345. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2010.04.001
- Teece Dj, Pisano G, and Shuen A. 1997. "Dynamic Capabilities and Strategic Management," Strategic Management Journal, 18(7), pp. 509-533. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199708)18:7<509::AID-SMJ882>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Tett, R. P., and Burnett, D. D. 2003. "A Personality Trait-Based Interactionist Model of Job Performance," Journal of Applied Psychology, 88(3), pp. 500-517. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.3.500
- Tett, R. P., and Guterman, H. A. 2000. "Situation Trait Relevance, Trait Expression, and Cross-Situational Consistency: Testing a Principle of Trait Activation," Journal of Research in Personality, (34), pp. 397-423. https://doi.org/10.1006/jrpe.2000.2292
- Wade, R. 1989. Village Republics. Cambridge University Press.
- Witherspoon, C. L., Bergner, J., Cockrell, C., and Stone, D. N. 2013. "Antecedents of Organizational Knowledge Sharing: A Meta-Analysis and Critique," Journal of Knowledge Management. 17(2), pp. 250-277. https://doi.org/10.1108/13673271311315204
- Zahavi, A. 1995. "Altruism as a Handicap: The Limitations of Kin Selection and Reciprocity," Journal of Avian Biology, 26(1), pp. 1-3. https://doi.org/10.2307/3677205
- Zajonc, R. B. 1968. "Attitudinal Effects of Mere Exposure," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 9(2), pp. 1-27.