- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
R&D Investment Effect through Patent on IT firms using Panel Structural Equations
패널구조방정식을 활용한 IT기업의 R&D투자효과 연구: 특허 매개효과 중심으로
- Received : 2020.02.05
- Accepted : 2020.03.01
- Published : 2020.03.31
This study analyzes not only the direct impact of R&D investment on corporate growth for 578 private firms in 2007-2016, but also whether corporate innovation activities play a role as a mediating parameter between R&D investment and corporate growth. For this purpose, we classify companies into IT and non-IT companies and measure the mediating effect by dividing innovation activities into the number of registered patents, applied patents, and sum of them. In addition, this study is based on both the systemGMM which is considered to be effective in solving the endogenous problems caused by the cross-sectional analysis in previous studies and ML-SEM which is a new method recently, and then compares two results. According to the empirical results, innovation activities has a role as partly mediating parameter on sales growth in non-IT companies. On the other hands, in IT companies, the increase in R&D investment leads to a decrease in sales of the company, and the increase in innovation activities increases the sales of the company. However, it was confirmed that IT companies also had positive effects by adjusting the lag of the R&D. In other words, this suggests that securing patents is more important than R&D investment for direct sales growth of IT companies. It is also evidence that immediate introduction of technology is necessary to respond to the speed of technological change since the cycle time of technologies of the IT field is relatively shorter compared to that of other fields.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 권성훈 2018. "우리나라의 연구개발투자 현황과 시사점, 지표로 보는 이슈 120," 서울: 국회입법조사처.
- 김건식 2014. "한국 제조업에서 혁신활동과 재무 적 성과 간의 인과경로: 혁신성과 및 운영성과의 매개효과를 중심으로," 기술혁신학회지 (17:1), pp. 146-173.
- 김병수, 한인구 2012. "R&D 조직의 지식 경영 활동이 R&D 성과에 미치는 영향," 지식경영연구 (13:1), pp. 25-39.
- 박준수 2003. "특허취득의 공시가 기업 가치에 미치는 영향에 관한 실증적 연구 -코스닥 시장을 중심으로-," 단국대학교 경영학박사학위논문.
- 박선영, 박현우, 조만형 2006. "특허분석을 통한 기술혁신과 기업성과의 관계분석," 기술혁신학회지 (9:1), pp. 1-25.
- 심재윤, 이종호, 박수호, 정우진 2019. "기업의 ICT 투자가 '고용 없는 성장'을 이끄는가?" 지식경영연구 (20:3), pp. 1-15
- 이기세, 양해면, 전성일 2010. "산업 특성에 따른 연구개발비 지출과 특허취득이 기업가치에 차별적 으로 반응하는가?" 지식경영연구 (11:3), pp. 1-10.
- 이영덕 2002. "정보통신 기술의 상용화 성공요인 분석," 기술혁신연구 (12:3), pp. 259-276.
- Arellano, M., and Bond, S. 1991. "Some tests of specification for panel data: Monte Carlo evidence and an application to employment equations," The review of economic studies (58:2), pp. 277-297. https://doi.org/10.2307/2297968
- Baron, R. M., and Kenny, D. A. 1986. "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations," Journal of personality and social psychology (51:6), pp. 1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2063
- Blind, K., Edler J., Frietsch R., and Schmoch U. 2006. "Motive to Patent: Empirical Evidence from Germany," Research Policy (35:5), pp. 655-672. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2006.03.002
- Blundell, R., W., and Bond, S. R. 1998. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Journal of Econometrics (87:1), pp. 115-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4076(98)00009-8
- Cockburn, I., and Griliches, Z. 1988. "Industry Effects and Appropriability Measures in the Stock Market's Valuation of R&D and Patents," The American Economic Review (78:2), pp. 419-423.
- Comanor, William S., and Frederic M. Scherer 1969. "Patent statistics as a measure of technical change," Journal of political economy (77:3), pp. 392-398. https://doi.org/10.1086/259522
- Ernst, H. 1995. "Patenting Strategies in the German Mechanical Engineering Industry and Their Relationship to Company Performance," Technovation (15:4), pp. 225-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/0166-4972(95)96605-S
- Griliches, Z. 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature (28:4), pp. 1661-1707.
- Lee, K., and Lee, J. 2019. "National innovation systems, economic complexity, and economic growth: country panel analysis using the US patent data," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, pp. 1-32
- Lovell, C.K. 1993. "Production frontiers and productive efficiency," The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications, Oxford University Press, pp. 3-67.
- Narin, F., Noma. E., and Perry, R. 1987. "Patents as Indicators of Corporate Technological Strength," Research Policy (16:2), pp. 143-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-7333(87)90028-X
- Oh, D., Heshmati, A., and Loof, H. 2014. "Total Factor Productivity of Korean Manufacturing Industries: Comparison of Competing Models with Firm-level Data," Japan and the World Economy (30), pp. 25-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.japwor.2014.02.002
- Roodman D. 2009. "How to do xtabond2: An introduction to difference and systemGMM in Stata," The Stata Journal (9:1), pp. 86-136. https://doi.org/10.1177/1536867X0900900106
- Rothwell, R. 1992. "Successful industrial innovation: critical factors for the 1990s," R&D Management (22:3), pp. 221-240. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.1992.tb00812.x
- Sobel, M. 1982. "Asymptotic Confidence Intervals for Indirect Effects in Structural Equation Models," Sociological Methodology (13), pp. 290-312. https://doi.org/10.2307/270723
- Williams, R., Allison, P., and Moral-Benito, E. 2018. "Linear dynamic panel-data estimation using maximum likelihood and structural equation modeling," The Stata Journal (18:2), pp. 293-326. https://doi.org/10.1177/1536867X1801800201