- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Assessing Average Residence Time as a Physical Descriptor for Shellfish Farming Areas in Jaran Bay, Korea
자란만 패류양식해역의 물리환경 설명을 위한 평균체류시간 산정
- Kim, Jin Ho (Marine Environment Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- Park, Sung-Eun (Marine Environment Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- Kim, Youngmin (Marine Environment Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- Kim, Chung Sook (Marine Environment Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- Kang, Sungchan (Marine Environment Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- Jung, Woo-Sung (Marine Environment Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- Sim, Bo-Ram (Marine Environment Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- Eom, Ki-Hyuk (Marine Environment Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science)
- 김진호 (국립수산과학원 어장환경과) ;
- 박성은 (국립수산과학원 어장환경과) ;
- 김영민 (국립수산과학원 어장환경과) ;
- 김청숙 (국립수산과학원 어장환경과) ;
- 강성찬 (국립수산과학원 어장환경과) ;
- 정우성 (국립수산과학원 어장환경과) ;
- 심보람 (국립수산과학원 어장환경과) ;
- 엄기혁 (국립수산과학원 어장환경과)
- Received : 2019.12.30
- Accepted : 2020.03.13
- Published : 2020.03.31
Residence time is defined as the time taken for a material in a system to leave the system. The residence time characteristics in shellfish aquaculture determine the dispersion of excretion from aquaculture farms, along with the supply of food by seawater exchange. In this study, we estimated the spatial distribution of average residence time in the shellfish farming area using a particle tracking model. As a result, a relatively short average residence time of about 20 days or less was calculated in most areas, but an average residence time of more than 40 days was calculated in the inner areas. Relatively long average residence times were calculated along the west coast compared to the east coast, with the longest average residence time of more than 50 days in the northwestern areas. It can be inferred that the disturbance of the benthic ecosystem caused by shellfish farms is likely to be large because of the relatively weak dispersion of excrement from shellfish farms located on the west coast, especially in the northwest region. This distribution of average residence time is important for understanding the potential effects of seawater exchange on the environmental sustainability of shellfish farms, along with the seawater circulation characteristics of Jaran Bay.
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- Cho, Y. S., Lee, W. C., Kim, J. B., Hong, S. J., Kim, H. C., Kim, C. S., 2013, Establishment of environmental assessment using sediment total organic carbon and macrobenthic polychaete community in shellfish farms, 19(5), 430-438. https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2013.19.5.430
- Choi, K. W., Lee, J. H. W., 2004, Numerical determination of flushing time for stratified water bodies, Journal of Marine System, 50(3-4), 263-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2004.04.005
- Chung, D. H., Duyen, N. T. K., 2012, Sensitivity of lagrangian particle tracking based on a 3D numerical model, Journal of Modern Physics, 3, 1972-1978. https://doi.org/10.4236/jmp.2012.312246
- Craig, P. M., 2009, Implementation of a Lagrangian particle tracking sub-model for the environmental fluid dynamics code, Dynamic Solutions-International, LLC, Knoxville, TN, USA.
- Delhez, E. J. M., Heemink, A.W., Deleersnijder, E., 2004, Residence time in a semi-enclosed domain from the solution of an adjoint problem, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 61, 691-702. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2004.07.013
- Ernst, W., Jackman, P., Doe, K., Page, F., Julien, G., Mackay, K., Sutherland, T., 2001, Dispersion and toxicity to non-target aquatic organisms of pesticides used to Treat sea lice on salmon in net pen enclosure, Marine Pollution Bulletin, 42(6), 432-443. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-326X(00)00177-6
- Gibbs, M. T., 2007, Sustainability performance indicators for suspended bivalve aquaculture activities, Ecological Indicator, 7, 94-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2005.10.004
- Guyondet, T., Koutitonsky, V. G., Roy, S., 2005, Effects of water renewal estimates on the oyster aquaculture potential of an inshore area, Journal of Marine System, 58, 35-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2005.05.004
- Hamrick, J. M., 1992, A Three-dimensional environmental fluid dynamics computer code: Theorectical and computational aspects. The College of William and Mary, VIMS, Special report 317.
- Jung, M. J., Peak, J. Y., Yi, J. H., 2018, Economic analysis based on estimation of optimal facilities of oyster aquaculture in Jaran Bay, Journal of Fisheries Business Administration, 49(4), 99-108. https://doi.org/10.12939/FBA.2018.49.4.099
- Kasper, H. F., Gillespie, P. A., Boyer, I. C., MacKenzie, A. L., 1985, Effects of mussel aquaculture on the nitrogen cycle and benthic communities in Kenepuru Sound, Marlborough Sound, New Zealand, Marine Biology, 85(2), 127-136. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00397431
- Kenov, I. A., Garcia, A. C., Neves, R., 2012, Residence time of water in the Mondego estuary (Portugal), Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 106, 13-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2012.04.008
- Kim, J. H., Hong, S. J., Lee, W. C., Kim, H. C., Eom, K. H., Jung, W. S., Kim, D. M., 2019, Estimation of the effect of flushing time on oyster aquaculture potential in Jaran Bay, Ocean Science Journal, 54, 559-571. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12601-019-0039-1
- Kim, J. H., Hong, S. J., Lee, W. C., Kim, J. B., Kim, H. C., Kim, D. M., 2016a, Estimation on average residence time of particulate matters in Geoje Bay using particle tracking model, Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Environment & Safty, 22(1), 20-26. https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2016.22.1.020
- Kim, J. H., Lee, W. C., Hong, S. J., Park, J. H., Kim, C. S., Jung, W. S., Kim, D. M., 2016b, A Study on temporal-spatial water exchange characteristics in Gamak Bay using a method for calculating residence time and flushing time, Journal of Environmental Science International, 25(8), 1087-1095. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2016.25.8.1087
- Kim, T. Y., Yoon, H. S., 2011, Skill assessments for evaluating the performance of the hydrodynamic model, Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environmental Engineering, 14(2), 107-113. https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2011.14.2.107
- Kimmerer, W. J., Gross, E. S., MaxWilliams, M. L., 2014, Tidal migration and retention of estuarine zooplankton investigated using a particle-tracking model, Limnology and Oceanography, 59, 901-916. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2014.59.3.0901
- Li, Y., Feng, H., Zhang, H., Sun, J., Yuan, D., Guo, L., Nie, J., Du, J., 2019, Hydrodynamics and water circulation in the New York/New Jersey Harbor: A study from the perspective of water age, Journal of Marine Systems, 199, 1-14.
- Marechal, D., 2004, A Soil-based approach to rainfall-runoff modeling in ungauged catchments for England and Wales, Ph.D Thesis, Cranfield University, Silsoe, England.
- Mitchell, I. M., 2006, In situ biodeposition rates of pacific oysters (Crassostrea gigas) on a marine farm in Southern Tasmania (Australia), Aquaculture, 257, 194-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2005.02.061
- Monsen, N. E., Cloern, J. E., Lucas, L. V., Monismith, S. G., 2002, A Comment on the use of flushing time, residence time, and age as transport time scales, Limnology and Oceanography, 47(5), 1545-1553. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2002.47.5.1545
- NIFS, 2014, Estimation of carrying capacity - Gamak Bay, Geoje-Hansan Bay, 393.
- Park, S. E., Hong, S. J., Lee, W. C., 2009, Calculating average residence time distribution using a particle tracking model, Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 23(2), 47-52.
- Stenton-Dozey, J., Probyn, T., Busby, A., 2001, Impact of mussel (Mytilus galloprovoncialis) raft-culture on benthic macrofauna, in situ oxygen uptake, and nutrient fluxes in Saldanha Bay, South Africa, Canadian Journal of Fisheries Aquatic Science, 58, 1021-1031. https://doi.org/10.1139/f01-034
- Zimmerman, J. T. F., 1976, Mixing and flushing of tidal embayments in the Western Dutch Wadden Sea, Part I: distribution of salinity and calculation of mixing time scales, Netherlands Journal of Sea Research, 10, 149-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/0077-7579(76)90013-2