- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Temporal and Spatial Variations of Marine Meteorological Elements and Characteristics of Sea Fog Occurrence in Korean Coastal Waters during 2013-2017
2013~2017년 연안해역별 해양기상요소의 시·공간 변화 및 해무발생시 특성 분석
- Park, So-Hee (Department of Earth and Marine Sciences, Jeju National University) ;
- Song, Sang-Keun (Department of Earth and Marine Sciences, Jeju National University) ;
- Park, Hyeong-Sik (Department of Earth and Marine Sciences, Jeju National University)
- Received : 2019.12.26
- Accepted : 2020.02.04
- Published : 2020.03.31
This study investigates the temporal and spatial variations of marine meterological elements (air temperature (Temp), Sea Surface Temperature (SST), and Significant Wave Height (SWH)) in seven coastal waters of South Korea, using hourly data observed at marine meteorological buoys (10 sites), Automatic Weather System on lighthouse (lighthouse AWS) (9 sites), and AWS (20 sites) during 2013-2017. We also compared the characteristics of Temp, SST, and air-sea temperature difference (Temp-SST) between sea fog and non-sea-fog events. In general, annual mean values of Temp and SST in most of the coastal waters were highest (especially in the southern part of Jeju Island) in 2016, due to heat waves, and lowest (especially in the middle of the West Sea) in 2013 or 2014. The SWH did not vary significantly by year. Wind patterns varied according to coastal waters, but their yearly variations for each coastal water were similar. The maximum monthly/seasonal mean values of Temp and SST occurred in summer (especially in August), and the minimum values in winter (January for Temp and February for SST). Monthly/seasonal mean SWH was highest in winter (especially in December) and lowest in summer (June), while the monthly/seasonal variations in wind speed over most of the coastal waters (except for the southern part of Jeju Island) were similar to those of SWH. In addition, sea fog during spring and summer was likely to be in the form of advection fog, possibly because of the high Temp and low SST (especially clear SST cooling in the eastern part of South Sea in summer), while autumn sea fog varied between different coastal waters (either advection fog or steam fog). The SST (and Temp-SST) during sea fog events in all coastal waters was lower (and more variable) than during non-sea-fog events, and was up to -5.7℃ for SST (up to 5.8℃ for Temp-SST).
Grant : 기상.지진See-At기술개발연구
Supported by : 기상청
- Ahn, J. B., Nam, J. C., Seo, J. W., Lee, H. J., 2002, Development of sea fog forecasting module and its application to Ulung-island sea fog events, Asia-Pac. J. Atmos. Sci., 38(2), 155-164.
- Jung, M. A., 2015, Statistical model for forecast of haze occurrence, M. S. Dissertation, Pusan National University, Pusan, South Korea.
- Kang, Y. H., Seuk, H. B., Bang, J. H., Kim, Y. K., 2015, Seasonal characteristics of sea surface winds and significant wave heights observed marine meterological buoys and lighthouse AWSs near the Korean Peninsula, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 24(3), 291-302. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2015.24.3.291
- Kim, J. H., Kim, H. J., Nam, K. D., Cho, Y. S., 2007, Numerical analysis of a tidal flow using quadtree grid, Proceedings of the Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation Conferences, Inha University, Incheon, 163-167.
- Kim, J. S., Kim, J. H., Park, S. H., Kim, Y. C., 2013, The study of characteristics of Korea fog and forecast guidance, J. Korean Soc. Aviat. Aeronaut., 21(1), 68-73. https://doi.org/10.12985/ksaa.2013.21.1.068
- Kim, K. J., Park, S. Y., Ko, J., Kim, Y. T., Kim, M. H., 2015, Cause of rapid decline in sea surface temperature near the southeast coast of Korea in summer 2014, Korean J. Hydrogr., 4(1), 45-52.
- Kim, Y. T., Han, C. K., Kim, K. J., Kim, H. K., Kim, Y. N., 2017, Preliminary investigation of oceanographic and meteorological conditions before and after sea fog formation around Busan harbor, Korean J. Hydrogr., 6(2), 43-50.
- Ko, H. J., Pang, I. C., Kim, T. H., 2005, Relations between wave and wind at 5 stations around the Korean peninsula, J. Korean Earth Sci. Soc., 26(3), 240-252.
- Korea Meteorological Administration (KMA), 2010, http://www.kma.go.kr/aboutkma/biz/observation07.jsp
- Korea Meteorological Administration (KMA), 2016, Annual Climatological Report, 11-1360000-000016-10, KMA, Seoul, South Korea.
- Korea Ocean Research & Development Institute (KORDI), 2008, KORDI Annual Report 2007, Busan, South Korea.
- Kwon, M. H., 2012, Estimation and statistical characteristics of the radius of maximum wind of tropical cyclones using COMS IR Imagery, Atmosphere, Korean Meteorol. Soc., 22(4), 473-481.
- Lee, H. W., Lee, K. O., Baek, S. J., Kim, D. H., 2005, Analysis of meteorological features and prediction probability associated with the fog occurrence at Chuncheon, J. Korean Soc. Atmos. Environ., 21(3), 303-313.
- Leem, H. H., Lee, H. W., Lee, S. H., 2005, The analysis of the characteristics of the fog generated at the Incheon Int'l Airport, J. Korean Meteorol. Soc., 41(6), 1111-1123.
- Lim, H. S., Chun, I. S., Shim, J. S., Kim, C. S., 2015, Numerical simulation of wave-induced current considering wave-tide interaction in Haeundae, Proceedings of Journal of Coastal Disaster Prevention the 3rd. Annual Conference, GRAND Convention Center, Seoul, 105-106.
- National Institute of Meteorological Research (NIMR), 2001, A Study on the Forecasting of Sea Fog around the Youngjong-Do (II), NIMR, South Korea, 156.
- National Institute of Meteorological Research (NIMR), 2007, Research report: development of high resolution storm surges and wave monitoring system, NIMR, South Korea, 274.
- Park, Y. S., Park, S. U., 1991, Observational features of local weather in the coastal regions over South Korea in spring, Asia-Pac. J. Atmos. Sci., 27(2), 67-86.
- Schleicher, N., Norra, S., Dietze, V., Yu, Y., Fricker, M., Kaminski, U., Chen, Y., Cen, K., 2011, The effect of mitigation measures on size distributed mass concentrations of atmospheric particles and black carbon concentrations during the Olympic Summer Games 2008 in Beijing, Sci. Total Environ., 412, 185-193.
- Shen, R., Schafer, K., Schnelle-Kreis, J., Shao, L., Norra, S., Kramar, U., Michalke, B., Abbaszade, G., Streibel, T., Fricker, M., Chen, Y., 2016, Characteristics and sources of PM in seasonal perspective-a case study from one year continuously sampling in Beijing, Atmos. Pollut. Res., 7(2), 235-248. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apr.2015.09.008
- Shin, D. S., Park, Y. H., 2004, The forecasting of severe rain storm after Jangma, Proceedings of the Korean Meteorological Society Autumn Meeting, Kongju National University, 326-327.
- Song, Y. Y., 2013, Development of the fog stability index at Incheon international airport, M. S. Dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea.
- Won, D. J., Kim, S. Y., Kim, K. E., Min, K. D., 2000, Analysis of meteorological and oceanographic characteristics on the sea fog over the Yellow sea, Asia-Pac. J. Atmos. Sci., 36(6), 631-642.
- Yoon, H. J., Cho, H. K., 2005, A Study on the diluted water from the Yangtze river in the East China sea using satellite data, J. Korean Assoc. Geographic Inf. Stud., 8(4), 33-43.
- Yoon, Y. H., Park, J. S., Park, Y. G., Noh, I. H., 2007, Marine environment and the distribution of phytoplankton community in the southwestern sea of Korea in summer 2005, J. Korean Soc. Mar. Environ. Energy, 10(3), 155-166.
- You, S. H., Kwun, J. H., Kim, J. S., 2009, Marine meteorological characteristics in 2006-2007 : Sea surface wind, Atmosphere, Korean meteorol. Soc., 19(2), 145-154.