- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Influence of Lower Leaf Defoliation Treatment on the Growth, Yield and Quality of Strawberries
하위 적엽처리가 딸기의 생육 및 생산성에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Gyu-Bin (Department of Horticulture Bioscience, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Jung-Eun (Department of Horticulture Bioscience, Pusan National University) ;
- Je, Byoung-Il (Department of Horticulture Bioscience, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Yong-Jae (Department of Horticulture Bioscience, Pusan National University) ;
- Park, Young-Hoon (Department of Horticulture Bioscience, Pusan National University) ;
- Choi, Young-Whan (Department of Horticulture Bioscience, Pusan National University) ;
- Son, Beung-Gu (Department of Horticulture Bioscience, Pusan National University) ;
- Kang, Nam-Jun (Department of Horticulture, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Kang, Jum-Soon (Department of Horticulture Bioscience, Pusan National University)
- 이규빈 (부산대학교 원예생명과학과) ;
- 이정은 (부산대학교 원예생명과학과) ;
- 제병일 (부산대학교 원예생명과학과) ;
- 이용재 (부산대학교 원예생명과학과) ;
- 박영훈 (부산대학교 원예생명과학과) ;
- 최영환 (부산대학교 원예생명과학과) ;
- 손병구 (부산대학교 원예생명과학과) ;
- 강남준 (경상대학교 원예학과) ;
- 강점순 (부산대학교 원예생명과학과)
- Received : 2019.11.08
- Accepted : 2020.02.20
- Published : 2020.03.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of defoliation treatment on the growth and yield of strawberries. There was a remarkable growth in the above-ground part and root of untreated strawberry plants possibly due to higher amount of photosynthesis, while overall plant growth was suppressed as the level of defoliation treatment increased. In both the "Seolhyang" and "Maehyang" cultivars examined, defoliation treatment resulted in small fruits and a low number of fruits per plant. Notably, 50% defoliation significantly reduced the number of fruits per plant to 8.2, compared to 13.8 in untreated plants. Defoliation treatment also negatively influenced the fruit quality including color, sugar content, and solid-acid rate. However, no significant changes in fruit firmness was observed in either cultivar. Therefore, retaining enough leaves without defoliation treatment can be important to increasing fruit yield, producing high quality fruits and saving labor required for defoliation.
- Albregts, E. E., Howard, C. M., Chandler, C. K., 1992, Defoliation of strawberry transplants for fruit production in Florida, HortScience, 127, 887-891.
- Casierra-Posada, F., Torres, I. D., Riascos-Ortiz, D. H., 2012, Growth in partially defoliated strawberry plants cultivated in the tropical highlands, Revista U.D.C.A Actualidad & Divulgacion Cientifica, 15, 349-355.
- Ham, E. J., Jeong, W. J., Kang, I. G., Lee, J. Y., Chung, G. C., Kim, S. G., Lee, J. H., 2008, Effect of number of defoliation leave and its position on fruit characteristics during enlargement stage in Muskmelon(cucumis melo L.), J. Bio-Envir. Cont., 17, 241-245.
- Heuvelink, E., 1997, Effect of fruit load on dry matter partitioning in tomato, Entia. J. Hort. Sci., 69, 51-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4238(96)00993-4
- Hubbard, N. L., Pharr, D. M., Huber, S. C., 1990, Sucrose metabolism in ripening muskmelon fruit as affected by leaf area, J. Amer. Hort. Sci., 115, 798-802. https://doi.org/10.21273/JASHS.115.5.798
- Kang, S. M., Ko, K. C., 1976, A Study on cold hardiness, flowering and fruit bearing in 'Okubo' peach trees as affected by defoliation, Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol., 17, 1-11.
Keutgen, N., Chen, K., Lenz, F., 1997, Responces of strawberry leaf photosynthesis, chlorophyll fluorescence and macronutrient contents to elevated
$CO_2$, Journal of plant physiology, 150, 395-400, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0176-1617(97)80088-0
- Kim, D. Y., Kim, S. Y., Lee, S. Y., 2016, Effects of leaf management during winter season on the yield and soluble solid contents of fruits in forcing cultivation of strawberry 'Seolhyang', Protected Horticulture and Plant Factory, 25, 283-287. https://doi.org/10.12791/KSBEC.2016.25.4.283
- KREI-Agricultural Simulation Model (KASMO), 2017, Vegetable state.
- Lee, D. B., Sim, K. M., 2011, Impact and countermeasures of climate change on agriculture, Korea Rural Economic Institute.
- Lee, G. B., Choe, Y. U., Park, E. J., Park, Y. H., Choi, Y. H., Kang, N. J., Kang, J. S., 2017, Effect of removing corolla and calyx lobes on fruit shape and quality of strawberry, J. Envir. Sci. Inter., 24, 87-96.
- Lee, S. W., Yun, J. G., Hong, J. K., Choi, K. Y., Park, S. J., 2019, The effects of different degrees of defoliation on 'Seolhyang' strawberry's fruit characteristics, plant growth and changes in nonstructural carbohydrates, Protected Horticulture and Plant Factory, 28, 9-15. https://doi.org/10.12791/KSBEC.2019.28.1.9
- Lee, Y. C., Kang, S. M., 1992, The immediate and carry-over effects of leaf area restrictions on vegetative and fruit growth of seibe 9110(Vitis spp.), Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol., 10, 106-107.
- Lester, G. E., Bruton, B. D., 1986, Relationship of netted muskmelon fruit water loss to post-harvest storage life, J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci., 111, 727-731.
- Lyrene, P. M., 1992, Early defoliation reduves flower bud counts on rabbiteye blueberry, HortScience, 27, 783-785. https://doi.org/10.21273/HORTSCI.27.7.783
- Lyu, C. B., Yang, W. J., Li, K. T., 2014, Partial Defoliation and Runner Removal Affect Runnering, Fruiting, Leaf Photosynthesis and Root Growth in 'Toyonoka' Strawberries for Subtropical Winter Production, Hort. Environ. Biotechnol, 55(5), 372-379. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13580-014-0001-1
- Marcelis, L. F. M., Heuvelink, E., Baan Hotman-Eijer, L. R., Bakker, J., Xue, L. B., 2004, Flower and fruit abortion in sweet pepper in relation to sourve and sink strength, J. Exper. Botany., 55, 2261-2268. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erh245
- Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries(MAFRA), 2017, The statictics of vegetable production, 85.
- Nam, J. C., Chang, E. H., Yang, H., Cho, E. K., Jung, S. M., Hur, Y. Y., Koh, S. W., Choi, I. M., 2016, Effect of leaf removal on coloration improvement of red variety 'Hongisul' Grape, J. Korean Soc. Int. Agric., 28, 231-236. https://doi.org/10.12719/KSIA.2016.28.2.231
- Ollat, N., Gaudillere, J. P., 1998, The effect of limiting leaf area during stage I of berry growth on development and composition of berries of vitis vinifera L. cv. Cabernet Sauvignon, Am. J. Eno. Vitic., 49, 251-258.
- Park, H. S., 1970, Studies of the effect of number of leaves per shoot on shoot growth and grape yield in 'Campbell Early', Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol., 8, 71-79.
- Park, S. J., Kim, Y. G., Kim, J. C., Cho, J. L., Jeong, B. R., Kang, S. M., Lee, Y. C., 2002, Changes in organic nutrients of senescing Fuyu leaves at two locations differing in the time of abscission, Acta. Hort., 601, 73-78.
- Park, Y. G., 2017, Establishment of seed harvesting condition for high-quality seed production of watermelon, PhD. Diss., Pusan National University, Busan, Korea.
- Rural Development Administration (RDA), 2011, Operating manual for improving agricultural income by commodity(vegetable)-strawberry, 11-1390000-002935-01, Suwon, Korea.
- Rural Development Administration (RDA), 2015, Information of agriculture statistic, http://www.rda.go.kr.
- Shimizu, T., Torikata, H., Torii, S., 1975, Studies on the effect of crop load on the composition of Satsuma mandarin tress. III. Effect of different leaf-to-fruit ratios on the carbohydrate content of the tree of harvest time and blossom and foliage productions of the following year, J. Japan Soc. Hort. Sci., 43, 423-429. https://doi.org/10.2503/jjshs.43.423
- Srisook, W., Lim, C. K., Oh, E. U., Moon, D. G., Song, K. J., 2016, Effects of defoliation levels and times on return bloom and fruit quality in the following two years in 'Jecy Gold' kiwifruit, J. Korean Soc. Int. Agric., 28, 520-525. https://doi.org/10.12719/KSIA.2016.28.4.520
- Worley, R. E., 1979a, Fall defoliation date and seasonal carbohydrate concentration of pecan wood tissues. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci., 104, 195-199.
- Worley, R. E., 1979b, Pecan yield, quality nutlet set and spring growth as a response to time of fall defoliation, J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci., 104, 192-194.