- Volume 6 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Relationship of Knowledge of End-of-life care, Life-Sustaining Treatment, and Advance Directive with the Educational Needs regarding Advance Directives Writing among Nurses in General Hospital in Convergence Era
융합적 시대에서 종합병원 간호사의 임종기 치료, 연명치료, 사전의료의향서에 대한 지식과 사전의료의향서 작성에 대한 교육요구도의 관계
- Jeong, Ji-Hyun (National Medical Center) ;
- Cheon, Jooyoung (Department of Nursing Science, Sungshin University)
- Received : 2020.01.17
- Accepted : 2020.02.29
- Published : 2020.03.31
This study aimed to examine the relationship of the knowledge of end-of-life(EOL) care, life-sustaining treatment(LST), and advance directive(AD) with the educational needs regarding AD writing among nurses in convergence era. For this cross-sectional study, participants were 169 nurses at a general hospital in South Korea. Data were collected from July 19 to 26 in 2018 using structured questionnaires. Knowledge on EOL care scored 8.56 out of 11 points, knowledge on LST scored 5.11 out of 6 points, and knowledge on AD scored 8.02 out of 9 points. Educational needs regarding AD writing scored 4.31 out of 5 points. There were statistically correlations between knowledge on LST and educational needs regarding AD writing (r=.182, p=.018), and between knowledge on AD and educational needs regarding advance AD writing (r=.234, p=.002). The findings can be used to develop the educational program regarding AD.
- R.D.McMahan, S.J.Knight, T.R.Fried and R.L.Sudore, "Advance Care Planning beyond Advance Directives: Perspectives from Patients and Surrogates," Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, Vol.46, No.3, pp.355-365, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2012.09.006
- G.N.Lee, J.H.Yong, Y.Jung and H.J.Lee, "Nurses' Attitudes toward Life Sustaining Medical Treatments," Journal of Korean Health & Fundamental Medical Science, Vol.12, No.2, pp.31-38, 2019.
- S.J.Lee and H.Y.Kim, "Experience of Life-sustaining Treatment in Patient Care among Intensive Care Unit Nurses: Phenomenological Approach," Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.23, No.2, pp.172-183, 2016. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2016.23.2.172
- S.Han, "A Case Study on Hospice Team's Experience of the Decision of Patients' Hospice and Life Sustaining Treatments," Health and Social Welfare Review, Vol. 39, No.1, pp.453-484, 2019.
- L.W.Melhado and J.F.Byers, "Patients' and Surrogates' Decision-making Character -istics: Withdrawing, Withholding, and Continuing Life- sustaining Treatments, "Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing, Vol.13, No.1, pp.16-30, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1097/NJH.0b013e3182018f09
- K.Choi, "Analysis and Criticism of Korean Supreme Court's Decision on Grandma Kim's Case: Conflicts between Respect for Self-determination and Best Interests for a Patient," Bioethics Policy Studies, Vol.8, No.2, pp.227-252, 2014.
- National Agency for Management of Life-Sustaining Treatment, Life- sustaining Treatment Plans[Internet], https://www.lst.go.kr/eng/index.do.
- National Law Information Center, Hospice, Palliative Care, and Life-sustaining Treatment Decision-making Act [Internet], http://www.law.go.kr/법령/호스피스.완화의료및임종과정에있는환자의연명의료결정에관한법률/(14013,20160203).
- Korean Hospice & Palliative Nurses Association, Hospice Palliative Nursing, Seoul: Hyunmoon, 2015.
- M.S.Kim, C.H.Kim, J.Hong, A.R.An, E.K.Choi, B.Keam, Y.H.Yun, D.S.Heo and H.Y.Park, "A Survey of the Ethical Problems Faced by Healthcare Professionals and the Need for Clinical Ethics Consultation Services in University Hospitals in South Korea," Korean Journal of Medical Ethics, Vol.20, No.4, pp.376-385, 2017. https://doi.org/10.35301/ksme.2017.20.4.376
- J.A.Park and D.Y.Jung, "The Comparing Perception of Advance Directives in One General Hospital Doctors and Nurses," Health & Nursing, Vol.25, No.2, pp.25-33, 2013
- S.O.Oh, "Knowledge and Informed Consent of Sustaining Treatment Interruption among Nurses," Master's Thesis, Hanyang University at Seoul, Korea, 2010. Online Source.
- C.M.Koo, "Awareness towards Advanced Directives of Sustaining Treatment Interruption in Intensive Care Unit Nurses," Master's Thesis, Ewha Womans University at Seoul, Korea, 2013. Online Source.
- M.Y.Kim and K.S.Kim, "Korean Nurses' Attitude towards Advance Directives and End of Life Decision Making," Journal of Korean Critical Care Nursing, Vol.3, No.2, pp.77-90, 2010.
- G.Y.Um, "Nurses' Experiences and Educational Needs Regarding Advance Directives Writing," Master's Thesis, Korea University at Seoul, Korea, 2015. Online Source.
- S.J.Lee and H.Y.Kim, "Attitude, Role Perception and Nursing Stress on Life Sustaining Treatment among Intensive Care Unit Nurses," Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol.29, No.2, pp.131-142, 2017. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2017.29.2.131
- N.S.Jang, H.S.Park, M.R.Kim, J.Y.Lee, Y.W.Cho, K.M.Kim and Y.J.Son, "Knowledge, Confidence, and Learning Needs Regarding Advance Directives among Hospital Nurses," Journal of Korean Critical Care Nursing, Vol.11, No.1, pp.35-45, 2018.
- S.W.Hong and S.M.Kim, "Knowledge regarding Advance Directives among Community-dwelling Elderly," Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.19, No.3, pp.330-340, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.330
- E.S.Choi, "Nurses' Awareness of Biomedical Ethics and Their Attitude Toward Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Treatment," Master's Thesis, Gangneung-Wonju National University at Wonju, Korea, 2015. Online Source.
- Y.J.Lee, "Awareness of Biomedical Ethics and Attitudes to Euthanasia of Clinical Nurse's," Master's Thesis, Kyungpook National University at Deagu, Korea, 2013. Online Source.
- J.Y.Kang, S.Y.Yun, S.J.Kim, S.R.An, M.H.Lee and S.M.Kim, "Preferences for Care Near the End of Life among Hospital Employees," Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, Vol.20, No.3, pp.197-206, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2013.20.3.197
- J.S.Cho, "Perception of Hospice, Knowledge and Attitude toward Advance Directives in Health Care Workers," Master's Thesis, BuSan Catholic University at Busan, Korea, 2018. Online Source.
- Y.R.Ha, "The Knowledge and Attitudes toward Advance Directives of Cancer Patients and Main care givers," Master's Thesis, Yonsei University at Seoul, Korea, 2016. Online Source.
- H.J.Kim, "Nurses' Knowledge, Attitudes, Experiences, and Confidence towards Advance Directives," Master's Thesis, Pusan National University at Pusan, Korea, 2015. Online Source.
- S.H.Lee and K.E.Lee, "Original Article: Knowledge, Awareness and Attitude toward Advance Directives in Hospital Outpatients and Caregivers," Journal of Health Informatics and Statistics, Vol.40, No.3, pp.117-129, 2015.
- I.A. Huang, J.M.Neuhaus and W.Chiong, "Racial and Ethnic Differences in Advance Directive Possession: Role of Demographic Factors, Religious Affiliation, and Personal Health Values in a National Survey of Older Adults," Journal of Palliative Medicine, Vol.19, No.2, pp.149-156, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2015.0326
- H.S.Han and W.S.Choe, "Role Accomplishment and Job Satisfaction of Hospice Nurse," Korean journal of Hospice Care, Vol.8, No.1, pp.29-48, 2008.
- E.J.Park and M.Seo, "The Influence of Death Anxiety and Terminal Care Stress on Job Satisfaction of New Nurses," Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 28, No.4, pp.230-241, 2019.
- S.N.Kim and H.J.Kim, "Recognition of Good Death, Attitude towards the Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Treatment, and Attitude towards Euthanasia in Nurses," Korean Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care, Vo.19, No.2, pp.136-144, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2016.19.2.136
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, A Press Release[Internet], http://www.mohw.go.kr/react/al/sal0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&page=1&CONT_SEQ=343055.