- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Lateral loading test for partially confined and unconfined masonry panels
- Tu, Yi-Hsuan (Department of Architecture, National Cheng Kung University) ;
- Lo, Ting-Yi (Department of Architecture, National Cheng Kung University) ;
- Chuang, Tsung-Hua (TOP Associates, Architects, Planners & Engineers)
- Received : 2019.03.04
- Accepted : 2020.02.04
- Published : 2020.03.25
Four full-scaled partially confined and unconfined masonry panels were tested with monotonic lateral loads. To study the effects of vertical force and boundary columns, two specimens with no boundary columns were subjected to different vertical forces, while two wing-wall specimens had the column placed eccentrically and in the middle, respectively. The specimens with no boundary columns exhibited ductile rocking behavior, where the lateral strength increased with increasing vertical compression. The wing-wall specimens with columns behaved as strut-and-tie systems. The column-panel interaction resulted in greater strength, lower deformation capacity and differences in failure modes. A comparison with analytical models showed that rocking strength can be accurately estimated using vertical force and the panel aspect ratio for panels with no boundary columns. The estimation for lateral strength on the basis of a panel section area indicated scattered error for wing-wall specimens.
Supported by : National Science Council
- Abrams, D., Smith, T., Lynch, J. and Franklin, S. (2007), "Effectiveness of rehabilitation of seismic behavior of masonry piers", J. Struct. Eng., 133(1), 32-43. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9445(2007)133:1(32). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:1(32)
- ACI (2011), Building code requirements for structural concrete and commentary (ACI318-11), Amer-ican Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI., U.S.A.
- Brzev, S. (2007), Earthquake-resistant confined masonry construction, National Information Center of Earthquake Engineering, Kanpur, India.
- Chen, Y.H. (2003), "Seismic evaluation of RC Buildings infilled with brick walls", Ph.D. Dissertation, National Cheng Kung Univ., Tainan. (in Chinese)
- FEMA (2000), Prestandard and commentary for the seismic rehabilitation of buildings (FEMA356), Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
- Fenerci, A., Binici, B., Ezzatfar, P., Canbay, E. and Ozcebe, G. (2016), "The effect of infill walls on the seismic behavior of boundary columns in RC frames", Earthq. Struct., 10(3), 539-562. https://doi.org/10. 12989/eas.2016.10.3.539. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.10.3.539
- Hadzima-Nyarko, M., Pavic, G. and Lesic, M. (2016), "Seismic vulnerability of old confined masonry buildings in Osijek, Croatia", Earthq. Struct., 11(4), 629-648. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.4.629. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.4.629
- Kakaletsis, D.J. and Karayannis, C.G. (2007), "Experimental investigation of infilled reinforced con-crete frames with openings," ACI Struct. J., 106(2), 197-221. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2007.26.3.231.
- Kuang, J.S. and Wong, H.F. (2005), "Improving ductility of non-seismically designed RC columns", Struct. Build., 158(1), 13-20. https://doi.org/10.1680/stbu.188.8.131.52533. https://doi.org/10.1680/stbu.2005.158.1.13
- Kumazawa, F. and Ohkubo, M. (2000), "Nonlinear characteristics of confined masonry wall with lat-eral reinforcement in mortar joints", Proc., 12th World Conf. on Earthquake Engineering, Auckland, January.
- Lee, J.H, Li, C., Oh, S.H., Yang, W.J. and Yi, W.H. (2008), "Evaluation of rocking and toe crushing failure of unreinforced masonry walls", Adv. Struct. Eng., 11(5), 475-489. https://doi.org/10.1260/ 136943308786411998. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943308786411998
- Lima, C., Stefano, G.D. and Martinelli, E. (2014), "Seismic response of masonry infilled RC frames: practice-oriented models and open issues", Earthq. Struct., 6(4), 409-436. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.6.4.409. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.6.4.409
- Magenes, G. and Calvi, G.M. (1997), "In-plane seismic response of brick masonry walls", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 26, 1091-1112. https://doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1096-9845(199711)26:11%3C1091::aid-eqe693% 3E3.3.co;2-y. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199711)26:11<1091::AID-EQE693>3.0.CO;2-6
- Marinilli, A. and Castilla, E. (2004), "Experimental evaluation of confined masonry walls with several confining-columns", Proc., 13th World Conf. on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, August.
- Marques, R. and Lourenco, P.B. (2019), "Structural behaviour and design rules of confined masonry walls: review and proposals", Constr. Build. Mater., 217, 137-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat. 2019.04.266. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2019.04.266
- Matosevic, D., Sigmund, V. and Guljas, I. (2015), "Cyclic testing of single bay confined masonry walls with various connection details", B. Earthq. Eng., 13(2), 565-586. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-014-9627-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-014-9627-8
- Mehrabi, A.B., Shing, P.B., Schuller, M.P. and Noland, J.L. (1996), "Experimental evaluation of ma-sonry-infilled RC frames", J. Struct. Eng., 122(3), 228-237. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9445(1996)122:3(228). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1996)122:3(228)
- Meli, R and Brzev, S. (2011), Seismic design guide for low-rise confined masonry buildings, Confined Masonry Network, EERI & IAEE.
- Mohammadi, M. and Nikfar, F. (2013), "Strength and stiffness of masonry-infilled frames with central openings based on experimental results," J. Struct. Eng., 139(6), 974-984. https://doi.org/10. 1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000717. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000717
- Okail, H., Abdelrahman, A., Abdelkhalik, A. and Metwaly, M. (2016), "Experimental and analytical investigation of the lateral load response of confined masonry walls", HBRC J., 12(1), 33-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hbrcj.2014.09.004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hbrcj.2014.09.004
- Ozturkoglu, O., Ucar, T. and Yesilce, Y. (2017), "Effect of masonry infill walls with openings on non-linear response of reinforced concrete frames", Earthq. Struct., 12(3), 333-347. https://doi.org/10. 12989/eas.2017.12.3.333. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2017.12.3.333
- Perez Gavilan, J.J., Flores, L.E. and Alcocer. S.M. (2015), "an experimental study of confined ma-sonry walls with varying aspect ratios", Earthq. Spectra, 31(2), 945-968. https://doi.org/10.1193/090712eqs284m. https://doi.org/10.1193/090712EQS284M
- Quiroz, L.G., Maruyama, Y. and Zavala, C. (2014), "Cyclic behavior of Peruvian confined masonry walls and calibration of numerical model using genetic algorithms", Eng. Struct., 75, 561-576. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.06.035. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.06.035
- Ranjbaran, F. and Hosseini, M. (2014), "Seismic vulnerability assessment of confined masonry wall buildings", Earthq. Struct., 7(2), 201-216. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.2.201. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.2.201
- Singhal, V. and Rai, D.C. (2016), "In-plane and out-of-plane behavior of confined masonry walls for various toothing and openings details and prediction of their strength and stiffness", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 45, 2551-2569. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2783. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2783
- Sivarama Sarma, B., Sreenath, H.G., Bhagavan, N.G., Ramachandra Murthy, A. and Vimalanandam, V. (2003), "Experimental studies on in-plane ductility of confined masonry panels", ACI Struct. J., 100(3), 330-336. https://doi.org/10.14359/12608.
- Tomazevic, M. and Klemenc, I. (1997a), "Seismic behaviour of confined masonry walls", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 26, 1059-1071. https://doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1096-9845(199710)26:10%3C1059::aid-eqe694%3E3. 3.co;2-d. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199710)26:10<1059::AID-EQE694>3.0.CO;2-M
- Tomazevic, M. and Klemenc, I. (1997b), "Verification of seismic resistance of confined masonry buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 26, 1073-1088. https://doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1096-9845(199710)26:10%3C 1073::aid -eqe695%3E3.0.co;2-z. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199710)26:10<1073::AID-EQE695>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Tomazevic, M. and Gams, M. (2012), "Shaking table study and modelling of seismic behaviour of con-fined AAC masonry buildings", B. Earthq. Eng., 10(3), 863-893. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-011-9331-x. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-011-9331-x
- Yanez, F., Astroza, M., Holmberg, A. and Ogaz, O. (2004), "Behavior of confined masonry shear walls with large openings", Proc., 13th World Conf. on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, August.
- Yoshimura, K., Kikuchi, K., Kuroki, M., Nonaka, H., Kim, K.T., Matsumoto, Y., Itai, T., Reezang, W. and Ma, L. (2003), "Experimental study on reinforcing methods for confined masonry walls subject-ed to seismic forces", Proc., 9th North American Masonry Conf., Clemson, June.