- Volume 10 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of the Elderly-related Experience of College Students on Ageism
대학생들의 노인 관련 경험이 노인 차별주의에 미치는 영향
- Jang, Kyeung-Ae (Department of Dental Hygiene, Silla University) ;
- Heo, Seong-Eun (Department of Dental Hygiene, Silla University)
- Received : 2020.02.07
- Accepted : 2020.03.20
- Published : 2020.03.28
This study conducted a survey to investigate the effect of the elderly-related experience on ageism in college students in Busan and Ulsan area. The total score of ageism was lower in the students with the experience in living with the elderly (p<.001), taking elderly-related classes (p<.01), and volunteering for the elderly. The effect of the experience in the elderly on the emotional avoidance was significant in the students with the experience in living with the elderly (p<0.001), volunteering for the elderly(p<0.01), and taking elderly-related classes (p<0.05). The effect on ageism was significant in the students with the experience in living with the elderly (p<0.001), volunteering for the elderly (p<0.01), and taking elderly-related classes (p<0.05). Therefore, taking elderly-related classes and volunteering for elderly to build social, physical, and emotional empathy will have a positive effect on the attitudes and the point of view on the elderly.
- K. S. Lee. (2019). A Study on the Image of the Elderly and Ageism Perceived by the University Students: with a Focus on Comparing Age & Gender Groups of the Elderly. Unpublished Master's thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangiu.
- J. A. Son. (2019). The Effect of University Students' Individual Characteristics and Filial Responsibility on Ageism Behavior: Focusing on the Moderating Effect of Intergenerational Family Solidarity. The Korean Association For Comparative Government, 23(1), 75-99.
- S. Y. Kim, T. H. Sohn, S. J. Chang & K. J. Moon. (2016). A Study on the Effectiveness of the Gerontological Education for College Students. Korean Society of Gerontological Social Welfare, 71(1), 53-84. DOI : 10.21194/kjgsw.71.1.201603.53
- S. Y. Kim & M. S. Youn. (2018). Factors Influencing the Discrimination Consciousness of the Elderly in College Students. The Korea Contents Society, 18(11), 369-378. DOI : 10.5392/JKCA.2018.18.11.369
- Butler, R. N. (1969). Age-ism: Another form of bigotry. The Gerontologist, 9(4), 243-246.
- M. H. Kim. (2013). The Influence of Elderly Contact, Attitudes Toward Elderly and Death Anxiety on Aging Anxiety of College Students. The Korean Psychological Association, 19(3), 435-456.
- R. N. Butler, (1980). Ageism: A foreword. Journal of Social Issues, 36(2), 8-11. DOI : 10.1111/J.1540-4560.1980.TB02018.X
- W. Kim. (2002). Ageism as a form of oppression : social response and implications. Korea Association Of Socail Welfare Policy, 14, 97-118.
- H. S. Jang. (2015). A study on ageism of undergraduate students in Korea and Japan. Unpublished Doctoral dissertation, Hanseo University, chungnam.
- J. Y. Lee & G. H. Han. (2017). The Influence of Negative Stereotype Towards the Elderly and Aging Anxiety on Korean's Attitudes about Sharing Space and Time with the Elderly: Focused on the Moderating Effect of Contact and Interaction with the Elderly. Korean Journal of Sociology, 51(2), 1-30. DOI : 10.21562/kjs.2017.05.51.2.1
- H. N. Kang. (2018). Effects of Media Use and Social Norms Toward Older Adults on Discriminatory Attitudes Toward Older Adults. The Journal of Humanities and Social science, 9(3), 873-884. DOI : 10.22143/HSS22.214.171.124
- H. J. Jeon & K. J. Lee. (2017). A Study on the Effectiveness of the Volunteer Program for the Frail Aged on University Students' Attitude toward the Aged and the Awareness of Supporting on the Aged. Korean Journal of Gerontological Social Welfare, 72(1), 179-207.
- H. K. Han. (2010). The Effects of an Aging Simulation Program on University Students' Attitudes Toward the Elderly. Korean Journal of Social Welfare Education, 13(31), 75-93.
- S. H. Jung & E. H. Kim. (2013). Original Article : Image toward the elderly among dental hygiene students in Gangwon province. Journal of Korean society of Dental Hygiene, 13(6), 1071-1077. DOI : 10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.1071
- S. K. Gordon & D. S. Hallauer, (1976). Impact of a Friendly Visiting Program on Attitudes of College Students Toward the Aged: A Pedagogical Note. Gerontologist, 16(4), 371-376.
- W. K. Whang. (2016). KB Knowledge Vitamin: Understanding the University-linked Retirement Community and its Tasks for Utilizing the Financial Sector. KB Financial Holding Management Institute(Onlie). https://www.kbfg.com/kbresearch/vitamin/reportView.do?vitaminId=1003310
- S. R. Moon, M. C. Kim, M. S. Lee & N. J. Kim. (2015). Study on Attitude of the Elderly among College Students in Physical Therapy through social science convergence. Journal of The Korea Convergence Society, 6(5), 157-163. DOI : 10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.157
- M. J. Yun. (2019). A Study on the Knowledge, Attitude of Dementia, and Awareness of care giving for Elderly among of Nursing student. Journal of Digital Convergence, 17(11), 419-426. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2019.17.11.419
- S. E. Heo. (2016). Convergence Study on Major Satisfaction and Academic Achievement Depending on the Characteristics of Community Service Experience in University students. Journal of The Korea Convergence Society, 7(4), 85-96. DOI : 10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.4.085