- Volume 50 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Impact of radiotherapy on mandibular bone: A retrospective study of digital panoramic radiographs
- Palma, Luiz Felipe (Discipline of Descriptive and Topographic Anatomy, Department of Morphology and Genetics, Federal University of Sao Paulo) ;
- Tateno, Ricardo Yudi (MSc Dentistry Program, Ibirapuera University) ;
- Remondes, Cintia Maria (Stomatology and Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Center, Heliopolis Hospital) ;
- Marcucci, Marcelo (Stomatology and Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Center, Heliopolis Hospital) ;
- Cortes, Arthur Rodriguez Gonzalez (MSc Dentistry Program, Ibirapuera University)
- Received : 2019.10.31
- Accepted : 2020.01.22
- Published : 2020.03.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the impact of radiotherapy on mandibular bone tissue in head and neck cancer patients through an analysis of pixel intensity and fractal dimension values on digital panoramic radiographs. Materials and Methods: Thirty patients with radiographic records from before and after 3-dimensional (3D) conformational radiotherapy were selected. A single examiner carried out digital analyses of pixel intensity values and fractal dimensions, with the areas of interest unilaterally located in the right angle medullary region of the mandible below the mandibular canal and posterior to the molar region. Results: Statistically significant decreases were observed in the mean pixel intensity (P=0.0368) and fractal dimension (P=0.0495) values after radiotherapy. Conclusion: The results suggest that 3D conformational radiotherapy for head and neck cancer negatively affected the trabecular microarchitecture and mandibular bone mass.
- Palma LF, Gonnelli FA, Marcucci M, Dias RS, Giordani AJ, Segreto RA, et al. Impact of low-level laser therapy on hyposalivation, salivary pH, and quality of life in head and neck cancer patients post-radiotherapy. Lasers Med Sci 2017; 32: 827-32.
- Palma LF, Gonnelli FA, Marcucci M, Giordani AJ, Dias RS, Segreto RA, et al. A novel method to evaluate salivary flow rates of head and neck cancer patients after radiotherapy: a pilot study. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2018; 84: 227-31.
- Michel G, Blery P, Pilet P, Guicheux J, Weiss P, Malard O, et al. Micro-CT analysis of radiation-induced osteopenia and bone hypovascularization in rat. Calcif Tissue Int 2015; 97: 62-8.
- Konermann A, Appel T, Wenghoefer M, Sirokay S, Dirk C, Jager A, et al. Impact of radiation history, gender and age on bone quality in sites for orthodontic skeletal anchorage device placement. Ann Anat 2015; 199: 67-72.
- Tosoni GM, Lurie AG, Cowan AE, Burleson JA. Pixel intensity and fractal analyses: detecting osteoporosis in perimenopausal and postmenopausal women by using digital panoramic images. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2006; 102: 235-41.
- Camargo AJ, Cortes AR, Aoki EM, Baladi MG, Arita ES, Watanabe PC. Diagnostic performance of fractal dimension and radiomorphometric indices from digital panoramic radiographs for screening low bone mineral density. Braz J Oral Sci 2016; 15: 131-6.
- Halazonetis DJ. What do 8-bit and 12-bit grayscale mean and which should I use when scanning? Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2005; 127: 387-8.
- Amer ME, Heo MS, Brooks SL, Benavides E. Anatomical variations of trabecular bone structure in intraoral radiographs using fractal and particles count analyses. Imaging Sci Dent 2012; 42: 5-12.
- Suer BT, Yaman Z, Buyuksarac B. Correlation of fractal dimension values with implant insertion torque and resonance frequency values at implant recipient sites. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2016; 31: 55-62.
- de Molon RS, de Paula WN, Spin-Neto R, Verzola MH, Tosoni GM, Lia RC, et al. Correlation of fractal dimension with histomorphometry in maxillary sinus lifting using autogenous bone graft. Braz Dent J 2015; 26: 11-8.
- White SC, Rudolph DJ. Alterations of the trabecular pattern of the jaws in patients with osteoporosis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1999; 88: 628-35.
- Chambrone L. Current status of the influence of osteoporosis on periodontology and implant dentistry. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 2016; 23: 435-9.
- Dervis E. Oral implications of osteoporosis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2005; 100: 349-56.
- Neves FS, Barros AS, Cerqueira GA, Cruz GA, Reis AA, Alves LB, et al. Assessment of fractal dimension and panoramic radiomorphometric indices in women with celiac disease. Oral Radiol (in press).
- Oliveira ML, Pedrosa EF, Cruz AD, Haiter-Neto F, Paula FJ, Watanabe PC. Relationship between bone mineral density and trabecular bone pattern in postmenopausal osteoporotic Brazilian women. Clin Oral Investig 2013; 17: 1847-53.
- Hwang JJ, Lee JH, Han SS, Kim YH, Jeong HG, Choi YJ, et al. Strut analysis for osteoporosis detection model using dental panoramic radiography. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2017; 46: 20170006.
- Gonnelli FA, Palma LF, Giordani AJ, Deboni AL, Dias RS, Segreto RA, et al. Low-level laser therapy for the prevention of low salivary flow rate after radiotherapy and chemotherapy in patients with head and neck cancer. Radiol Bras 2016; 49: 86-91.
- Gonnelli FA, Palma LF, Giordani AJ, Deboni AL, Dias RS, Segreto RA, et al. Low-level laser for mitigation of low salivary flow rate in head and neck cancer patients undergoing radiochemotherapy: a prospective longitudinal study. Photomed Laser Surg 2016; 34: 326-30.
- Jegoux F, Malard O, Goyenvalle E, Aguado E, Daculsi G. Radiation effects on bone healing and reconstruction: interpretation of the literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2010; 109: 173-84.