- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Changes in the Internal Organization and Members' Role Identity of Local Broadcasting Companies due to Management Crisis : Focusing on the In-depth Interview
경영 악화에 따른 지역방송사 내부 조직과 구성원의 인식 변화 : 심층인터뷰를 중심으로
- Jeon, Oh-Yeol (Dept. of Journalism & Mass Communication, Jeonbuk National University) ;
- Lee, Hee-Chung (Dept. of Broadcasting and Contents, Daejeon Health Sciences College of University) ;
- Na, Mi-Su (Dept. of Journalism & Mass Communication, Jeonbuk National University)
- Received : 2020.01.17
- Accepted : 2020.02.20
- Published : 2020.02.28
This article researched the changes of terrestrial local broadcasting companies in a crisis of management. According to the following: First, the structure of the internal organization of local broadcasting companies has been changed to put more emphasis on 'management'. Second, most of the interviewees responded that this change was an inevitable choice. However, some responded that their 'role identity' was changing in a negative direction. Third, these changes have led to the emergence of programs that could undermine public interest. It also showed an increase in the production of 'funding-based' programs and 'mobile first' programs.
- Korea Information Society Development Institute. (2018). Evaluation of competition in the Korean broadcasting market in 2018. Seoul : Korea Communications Commission.
- S. N. Kim & S. Y. Won. (2019). Viewers' perception of local broadcasting : focusing on subjective perception of 20's TV audience. Journal of KSSSS, 46, 77-94. DOI : 10.18346/KSSSS.42.4
- M. H. Lee. (2018). A diagnosis of the competitiveness of the local TV contents and an activation plan. Journal of Communication Science, 18(2), 5-34. DOI : 10.14696/jcs.2018.06.18.2.5
- J. Y. Kim & S. H. Yang. (2015). Comprehensive and analytical meta-analysis of studies on local broadcasting. Journal of Communication Science, 15(1), 162-194. DOI : 10.14696/jcs.2015.03.15.1.162 https://doi.org/10.14696/jcs.2015.03.15.1.162
- J. W. Kwon. (2010). An exploratory study on the interaction among local broadcast stations based on market environment. Korean Journal of Communication & Information, 52, 27-47.
- J. R. Lee & B. J. Ha. (2010). Alternatives of local broadcasting to cope with changing media environment and policy. Social Science Research Review, 26(2), 47-67.
- Y. J. Won & S. H. Hwang. (2011). A meta-analysis of research on local broadcasting. Journal of Communication Science, 11(2), 285-332.
- J. Y. Kim & S. H. Han. (2015). Expectations and reality towards local broadcast development council : a critical approach about local broadcast development & support plan. Journal of Communication Science, 15(3), 67-96. DOI : 10.14696/jcs.2015.09.15.3.67 https://doi.org/10.14696/jcs.2015.09.15.3.67
- C. S. Kim. (2015). A dilemma of management diversification in local broadcasting stations : public interest vs. corporate survival. The Journal of Social Science, 22(1), 247-278.
- S. K. Byun. (2016). An empirical study for the benefit from the local broadcasts and the efficient and substantial methods in improving their competitiveness. Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, 29(6), 2651-2674. DOI : 10.22558/jieb.2016.12.29.6.2651 https://doi.org/10.22558/jieb.2016.12.29.6.2651
- H. S. Lee & S. J. Kwon. (2018). Exploring the strategies for sustainability of local broadcasting companies in South Korea. Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry Association, 12(6), 41-56. DOI : 10.21184/jkeia.2018.8.12.6.41 https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2018.8.12.6.41
- S. K. Ryu. (2018). Structural policy and internal and external management strategies enhancing the competitiveness of local broadcasting companies. Locality & Communication, 22(1), 31-63.
- J. H. Kim. (2013). Content distribution strategy analysis of regional broadcasting companies : based on MBCNET. Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 13(11), 636-643. DOI : 10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.11.636 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.11.636
- S. H. Lee, B. N. Lee & J. M. Han. (2019). Relations between the management and the programming in local broadcasting companies : focus on the Chuncheon MBC. Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 19(10), 226-236. DOI : 10.5392/JKCA.2019.19.10.226
- J. W. Kwon. (2017). A study of seeking for the direction in local broadcasting policy based on new institutionalism. Journal of Communication Science, 17(4), 5-40. DOI : 10.14696/jcs.2017.12.17.4.5
- S. H. Cho & D. Y. An. (2014). The effect of organizational culture type on organizational development through organizational commitment : broadcasting station case in Daegu. Journal of Communication Science, 14(2), 356-389. DOI : 10.14696/jcs.2014.06.14.2.356
- S. J. Han, E. S. Kim & K. E. Kim. (2010). Process of building a sense of urgency for a proactive change. Journal of Strategic Management, 13(2), 25-52. https://doi.org/10.17786/jsm.2010.13.2.002
- S. J. Kim. (2005). The reality of journalistic labor and identity of local journalist. Journal of Communication Science, 5(2), 105-140.
- Y. G. Park. (2015). Questioning the identity of Korean journalists : from patriot to salaryman. Seoul : Nonhyung book.
- S. Han & O. H. Lee. (2010). A study on the newsroom culture and identity formation of local journalists : focusing on the area of Gwangju. Media & Society, 18(4), 2-36.