- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on Calling, Resillence, Leader-Member Exchange and Nursing Work Environment of Nurses in Small and Medium Sized Hospital
중소병원 간호사의 소명의식, 회복탄력성, 리더-구성원 관계 및 간호업무환경에 관한 연구
- Lee, Joo-Yeon (Dept. of Nursing, Kimcheon University) ;
- Lee, Mi-Hyang (Dept. of Nursing, Konyang University)
- Received : 2019.12.10
- Accepted : 2020.02.20
- Published : 2020.02.28
This study was conducted to provide basic data for the development of a nursing manpower maintenance and management program by assessing the relationship among the calling, resilience, leader-member exchange, and nursing work environments of small and medium-sized hospital nurses. Data was collected through a structuralized questionnaire survey conducted on small and medium-sized hospital nurses. The results of this study indicated calling had positive correlation with resilience, leader-member exchange, and nursing work environments, while resilience had positive correlation with leader-member exchange and nursing work environments. There also was positive correlation between leader-member exchange and nursing work environments. Accordingly, there is a need to develop a program to offer motivation to increase calling and resilience from the personal perspective of the small and medium-sized hospital nurses. In addition, a program is necessary to strengthen continuous leadership of the hospital administrator to improve the leader-member exchange and nursing work environment from organizational perspective.
- B. I. Seok & M. S. Han. (2016). Effect of Leader-member Exchange on the Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment: Focusing on Team Work. Global Business Administration Review, 13(2), 155-178.
- J. H. Park & J. A. Kim. (2016). Effects of Emotional Labor and Work Environment on Retention Intention in Nurses. Asian Journal Beauty Cosmetol, 14(4), 437-448. DOI : 10.20402/ajbc.2016.0077 https://doi.org/10.20402/ajbc.2016.0077
- K. J. Kown, M. S. Chu & J. A. Kim. (2014). Impact of Work Environment and Job Satisfaction on Service Quality among Staff in Elderly Facility. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, 26(5), 512-521. DOI : 10.7475/kjan.2014.26.5.512 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.5.512
- D. E. Park, S. Y. Joe & K. R. Keum. (2019). Perceived Workplace Bullying, Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention among Nursing Officers in Armed Forces Hospitals. Journal of Militry Nursing Research, 37(1), 86-100. DOI : 10.31148/kjmnr.2019.37.1.86
- E. H. Kim, J. Y. Kim & Y. M. Kim. (2019). The Partial Mediating Effects of Promotion Focus on The Relationship between Calling and Job Engagement. The Journal of Child Education. 28(2), 99-111. DOI : 10.17643/KJCE.2019.28.2.06
- M. Y. Lee. (2019). The Effect of Working Environment on the Psychological exhaustion of After-school teachers in Elementary School: Mediating effect of job stress and moderating effect of vocational orientating and Job Engagement. Unpublished master's thesis. Gachon University. Incheon.
- C. H. Im & H. S. Lee. (2013). A study on the influence of abusive supervision of supervisors on organizational effectiveness. The Korean Journal of Human Resource Development Quarterly, 15(3), 85-115. DOI : 10.18211/kjhrdq.2013.15.3.004 https://doi.org/10.18211/kjhrdq.2013.15.3.004
- J. H. Kim. (2014). The Effects of Leader's Feedback on the Subordinates' Resilience and Self-efficacy. Korean Academy of Leadership, 5(2), 3-37.
- S. H. Park & M. J. Park. (2018). The Effects of Emotional Intelligence, Nursing Work Environment on Nursing Work Performance in Clinical Nurses. Journal of Digital Convergence, 16(4), 175-184. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2018.16.4.175 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.4.175
- M. J. Kim & S. H. Kim. (2016). Influences of Calling, Work Value, and Organizational Commitment on Turnover Intention in Nurses Employed at University Hospitals in a Region. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 10(1), 66-77. DOI : 10.12811/kshsm.2016.10.1.067
- E. H. Lee & S. B. Kwon. (2019). The Relationship between the Leadership of Nursing Managers by Nurses in Small and Medium-sized Hospitals and Resilience, Intrinsic Motivation and Nursing Performance of Nurses. Journal of the Korean society for Wellness, 14(2), 111-121.
- J. S. Lee. (2019). The Convergent effect of Resilience and Organizational Culture on Well-being in General hospital Nurses. Journal of Digital Convergence, 17(7), 235-244. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2019.17.7.235 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2019.17.7.235
- M. H. Kim. (2016). Influence of Leader-Member Exchange Quality and Team-Member Exchange Quality on Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention in Clinical Nurses. Unpublished master's thesis. Gachon University. Incheon.
- A. Ziedelis. (2019). Perceived Calling and Work Engagement Among Nurses. Western Journal of Nursing Research., 41(6), 816-833. DOI : 10.1177/0193945918767631 https://doi.org/10.1177/0193945918767631
- Hospital Nurses Association. (2019). 2018 Survey on the status of hospital nursing staffing.
- M. S. Seo & J. H. Kim. (2017). Effect of workplace bullying job satisfaction and self-esteem on turnover intention in clinical nurses. Journal of wellness, 12(2), 105-115. DOI : 10.21097/ksw.2017.05.12.2.105
- E. J. Bae & K. Y. Kim. (2018). The Effect of Stress Coping Ability and Recovery Resilience on Retention Intention of Nurses in Medium-Sized Hospitals. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 19(11), 662-671. DOI : 10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.11.662 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.11.662
- H. N. Kim, G. C. Yu, J. E. Kim & H. J. Lee. (2012). Spiritual Leadership, Organizational Commitment and Calling in Korean Firms. Journal of Organization and Management, 36(2), 1-31. UCI : G704-000984.2012.36.2.001
- M. H. Kim. (2019}. The Effects of Calling, Selfefficacy and Workplace Bullying on Retention Intention of Nurses in Small and Medium- sized Hospitals. Unpublished master's thesis. Numbu University. Gwangju.
- E. A. Jo & J. Y. Kang. (2015). Influence of Workplace Bullying and Resilience on Organizational Socialization in New Graduate Nurses. Journal of Muscle Joint Health, 22(2), 78-86. DOI : 10.5953/JMJH.2015.22.2.78 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2015.22.2.78
- P. L. Hart, J. D. Brannan & M. De Chesnay. (2014). Resilience in nurses: An integrative review. Journal of Nursing Management. 22(6), 720-734. DOI : 10.1111/j.1365-2834.2012.01485 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2012.01485.x
- S. H. Jin & J. H. Kim. (2017). Influence of Resilience and Perceived Individual and Organizational Support on Organizational Commitment among Hospital Nurses. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(5), 293-303. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.126.96.36.199.293 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.5.293
- K, Sellers, M, Riley, D. Denny, D. Rogers J. M. Havener, T. Rathbone & G. D. Cesare. (2019). Retention of Nurses in a Rural Environment: The Impact of Job Satisfaction, Resilience, Grit, Engagement, and Rural Fit. Online Journal of Rural Nursing & Health Care, 19(1), 4-42. DOI : 10.14574/ojrnhc.v19i1.547 https://doi.org/10.14574/ojrnhc.v19i1.547
- D. T. Hall & D. Chandler. (2015). Psychological success: When the career is a calling. Journal of organizational behavior, 26(2), 155-176. DOI : 10.1002/job.301 https://doi.org/10.1002/job.301
- C. H. V. Chen, S. J. Wang, W. C. Chang & C. S. Hu. (2008). The effect of leader-member exchange, trust, supervisor support on organizational citizenship behavior in nurses. Journal of Nursing Research, 16(4), 321-328. DOI : 10.1097/01.jnr.0000387319.28010.5e https://doi.org/10.1097/01.JNR.0000387319.28010.5e
- A. M. S. Mostafa & E. A. A. El-Motalib. (2019). Servant leadership, eader-member exchange and roactive behavior in the public health sector. Public Personnel Management, 48(3), 309-324. DOI : 10.1177/009102601816340 https://doi.org/10.1177/0091026018816340
- L. Aiken, S. P. Clarke & D. M. Sloane. (2002). Hospital staffing, organization, and quality of care: Cross-national findings. Nursing Outlook, 50, 187-194. DOI : 10.1093/intqhc/14.1.5 https://doi.org/10.1067/mno.2002.126696
- K. Shader, M. E. Broome, C. D. Broome, M. E. West & M. Nash. (2001). Factors influencing satisfaction and anticipated turnover for Nurses in academic medical cental. Journal of Nursing Administration, 31, 210-216. DOI: 10.1097/00005110-200104000-00010 https://doi.org/10.1097/00005110-200104000-00010
- H. C. Klopper, S. K. Coetzee, R. Pretorius & P. Bester. (2012). Practice environment, job satisfaction and burnout of critical care nurses in South Africa. Journal of Nursing Management, 20(5), 685-695. DOI : 10.1111/j.1365-2834.2011.01350.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2011.01350.x
- D. C. Vahey, L. H. Aiken, D. M. Sloane & S. P. Clarke, D. (2004). Vargas. Nurse burn out and patient satisfaction. Medical Care, 42(2), 157-1166. DOI : 10.1097/01.mlr.0000109126.50398.5a
- B. J. Dik, B. M. Eldridge & M. F. Steger. (2008). Development of the calling and vocation questionnaire(CVQ). In meetings of the American Psychological Association. Boston. DOI : 10.1177/1069072711434410
- Y. Shim & S. K. Yoo. (2012). Development and Validation of the Korean Version of the Calling and Vocation Questionnaire(CVQ-K). The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 24(4), 847-872.
- K. M, Connor & J. R. Davidson. (2003). Development of a new resilience scale: The Connor-Davidson Resilience Scale (CD-RISC). Depress Anxiety, 18(2), 76-82. DOI : 10.1002.da.10113 https://doi.org/10.1002/da.10113
- R. C. Liden & J. M. Maslyn. (1998). Multi dimensionafity of leader-member exchange: An empirical assessment through scale development. Journal of Management, 24(1), 43-72. DOI : 10.1016/S0149-2063(99)80053-1 https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639802400105
- E. T. Lake. (2002). Development of the practice environment scale of the nursing work index. Research in Nursing & Health, 25, 176-188. DOI : 10.1002/nur.10032 https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.10032
- E. C. Cho, M. Choi, E. Y. Kim, I. Y. Yoo & N. J. Lee. (2011). Construct Validity and Reliability of the Korean Version of the Practice Scale of Nursing Work Index for Korean Nurses. Journal of Academy of Nursing, 41(3), 325-332. DOI : 10.4040/jkan.2011.41.3.325
- M. M. Oh. (2017). Impact of the vocation awareness and reward the satisfaction of nurses on turnover intentions in small hospitals. Unpublished master's thesis. Gachon University. Incheon.
- J. O. Park & K. L. Jung. (2016). Effects of Advanced Beginner-Stage Nurses' Sense of Calling, Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment on Retention Intention. Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 22(2), 137-147. DOI : 10.11111/jkana.2016.22.2.137
- S. J. Kim. (2016). The impact of resilience and social support on organizational socialization for emergency room nurses. Unpublished master's thesis. Eulji University. Daejeon.
- J. S. Song & S. Y. Huh. (2018). Moderating Effects of Self-Efficacy and Social Support on the Relationship between Resilience and Burnout: Focusing on Nurses' Experiences. Health and Social Welfare Review, 38(4), 544-570. DOI : 10.15709/hswr.2018.38.4.544 https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2018.38.4.544
- J. H. Kim. (2016). Relationship among Nursing work environment, Leader-member exchange, Peer support and Organizational commitment. Graduate School of Jeju National University.
- H. S. Jun & M. S. Kim. (2004). Influence of Leader-Member Exchange and Organizational Commitment on Organizational Citizenship Behavior in Nursing Organization. Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 10(1), 97-107.
- K. N. Kang. (2012). Factors Influencing Turnover Intention of Nurses in Small-medium sized Hospitals. Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 18(2), 155-165. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.2.155
- S. H. Lee. (2017). Effect of Nurse Practice Environment and Organizational Justice on Job Embeddedness in the Small and Medium Sized Hospital Nurses. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(12), 369-380. DOI : 10.41100/JDC.2017.15.12.369 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.2.369
- E. J. Choi, J. H. Hwang & I. S. Jang. (2017). Effects of Nursing Practice Environment and Self-esteem on Critical Thinking Disposition among Clinical Nurses. Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 23(2), 161-169. DOI : 10.11111/jkana.2017.23.2.161 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.2.161
- S. S. Han & N. E. Kim. (2012). Effects of Nurses' Perception of Servant Leadership on Leader Effectiveness, Satisfaction and Additional Effort :Focused on the Mediating Effects of Leader Trust and Value Congruence. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 42(1), 85-94. DOI : 10.4040/jkan.2012.42.1.85 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.1.85
- S. Y. Oh, S. C. Roh, M. U. Kang & Y. W. Suh. (2015). Resilience as a Mediator Linking Transformational Leadership and Person- Centered Organizational Culture to Organizational Effectiveness. The Korean Journal of Industrial and Organization, 28(4), 829-854. DOI : 10.24230/kjiop.v28i4.829-854 https://doi.org/10.24230/kjiop.v28i4.829-854
- M. Y. Lee & K. H. Kim. (2012). Influence of Head Nurses' Transformational Leadership on Staff Nurse's Psychological Well-being, Stress and Somatization-Focused on the Mediating Effect of Positive Psychological Capital. Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 18(2), 166-175. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.2.166
- Y. J. Jung & M. J. Park. (2019). The effects of Emotional Labor, Resilience, and Nursing Work Environment on Turnover Intentions of Comprehensive Nursing Care Medical Service Nurses. Journal of Digital Convergence, 17(3), 281-290. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2019.17.3.281 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2019.17.3.281