- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Association between Perceived Stress and Depression in University Students: Moderated Effect of Ego gram
흡연 여부에 따른 대학생의 스트레스와 우울의 연관성 분석: Ego gram의 조절효과
- KIM, Han-Kyoul (BK21Plus Program in Embodiment : Health-Society Interaction Department of Public Health Sciences, Graduate School of Korea University) ;
- Byeon, Jieun (BK21Plus Program in Public Health Sciences, Department of Public Health Sciences Graduate School, Korea University) ;
- Kim, Kyu-min (BK21Plus Program in Public Health Sciences, Department of Public Health Sciences Graduate School, Korea University) ;
- Rhee, Hyunsill (School of Health policy & Management, College of Public Health Sciences, Korea University)
- 김한결 (고려대학교 일반대학원 BK21Plus 인간생명-사회환경 상호작용 융합사업단) ;
- 변지은 (고려대학교 일반대학원 보건과학과 BK21PLUS 인간생명-상호작용 융복합사업단) ;
- 김규민 (고려대학교 일반대학원 보건과학과 BK21PLUS 인간생명-상호작용 융복합사업단) ;
- 이현실 (고려대학교 보건과학대학 보건정책관리학부)
- Received : 2019.11.15
- Accepted : 2020.02.20
- Published : 2020.02.28
The purpose of this study is to identify the moderate effect of Ego gram between perceived stress and depression from university student according to smokers/non-smokers. The result of study shows the strong association between stress and depression. On the other hand, the moderated effect of Ego gram was different in the smoking and non-smoking groups. In the non-smoker group, the CP tendency which is pursued strictly control by oneself had a moderating effect on depression, and in the smoker group, the A tendency, which had excellent adaptability, creativity, and autonomy, reduced depression. On the other hand, in the smoking group, the AC tendency also showed a significant moderating effect. It is reported that a high AC tendency may cause a feeling of helplessness about the situation and cause negative emotions to conform to reality. This suggests that the individual's ego state to approach emotional state such as stress and depression should be considered together.
Supported by : 고려대학교
- Fergusson, D. M., Woodward, L. J. & Horwood, L. J. J. P. m. (2000). Risk factors and life processes associated with the onset of suicidal behaviour during adolescence and early adulthood. Psychological medicine, 30(1), 23-39. DOI: 10.1017/S003329179900135X https://doi.org/10.1017/S003329179900135X
- E. H. Lee. (2004). Life Stress and Depressive Symptoms among College Students: Testing for Moderating Effects of Coping style with Structural Equations. Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 9(1), 25-52. DOI: 10.15842/kjcp.2018.37.4.001
- H. J. Kim. (2001). Effect of College Student's Ego-Identity on Vocational Attitude Maturity and Preparation Behavior. Journal of Social Science, 5(1), 369-393.
- H. J. Jung. (2008). Relationships of Family-of-origin Functioning with Self-differentiation and Psychological Well-being among College Students. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 17(6), 1135-1149. DOI: 10.5934/KJHE.2008.17.6.1135 https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2008.17.6.1135
- Y. H. Kim, M. S. Yang & H. R. Park. (2015). A Study on a Relationship Between University Students Life Stress and Suicidal Ideation : Mediating Effect of Mental Health. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(11), 291-301. DOI: 10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.291 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.291
- Y. K. Min. (2005). Evaluation on suicidal risk factors and suicidal thought of college students. Journal of student guidance, 31, 31-52.
- T. M. Song, D. L. Jin, J. Y. Song, J. Y. An & Y. H. Cho. (2013). A Comparative Analysis of Suicide Characteristics by Age Group in Korea, Journal of Health Infromatics and Statistics, 38(1), 122-142.
- S. S. Ha & S. M. Kwon. (2016). Efficacy of the strengths-based writing intervention among the clinical adolescents with externalizing maladjustment behaviors. Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 35, 139-163. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2016.35.1.008
- Y. H. Yu, S. H. Lee & Y. R. Cho. (2010). The relationships between self-compassion, life stress, social support, and psychological symptoms. Cognitive Behavior Therapy, 10(2), 43-59.
- J. Y. Park & J. K. Kim. (2014). The effects of life stress on university students suicide and depression: focusing on the mediating pathway of family and friends support. Korean journal of youth studies, 21(1), 167-189.
- E. H. Lee. (2004). Life stress and depressive symptoms among college students: Testing for moderating effects of coping style with structural equations. Korean journal of health psychology, 9(1), 25-48.
- S. H. Kang & D. S. Ra. (2013). A study on the mediating effects of depression between senior student'university life stress and suicidal ideation. Korean journal of youth studies, 20(4), 49-71.
- S. M. Yang & K. Park. (2015). The Influence of University Students's Depression on Suicidal Ideation: The Mediation Effects of Self-Compassion. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 22(8), 105-130.
- Preston, D. B., Green, G. W. & Irwin, P. A. (1990). An assessment of college health nursing practice: A wellness perspective. Journal of community health nursing, 7(2), 97-104. DOI: 10.1207/s15327655jchn0702_6 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327655jchn0702_6
- M. S. Kim. (2009). Smoking escalation environment, stress coping strategies & smoking motivation related to smoking behaviors of university students. Unpublished masters' thesis, Chungbuk National University, Daejeon, Korea.
- S. O. Chang, J. A. Song & S. J. Lee. (2008). Types of smoking in adult smokers and influential variables related to smoking. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 20(1), 77-90.
- S. H. Park, J. H. Kang, J. S. Chun & H. J. Oh. (2010). A longitudinal comparative study of mental health between adolescent smokers and adolescent nonsmokers. Journal of adolescent welfare, 12(2), 75-94.
- J. H. Woo. (1992). Ego-gram 243 Pattern -Diagnosis and Improvement of Personality. Seoul: Jeongam Seowon.
- Dusay, J. M. (1977). Egograms: How I see you and you see me. Bantam.
- Berne, E. (1964). Trading Stamps. Transactional Analysis Bulletin, 3(10), 27.
- Eaton, W. & Kessler, L. G. (1981). Rates of symptoms of depression in a national sample. American journal of Epidemiology, 114(4), 528-538. DOI: 10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a113218 https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a113218
- Cohen, S., Kamarck, T. & Mermelstein, R. (1983). A global measure of perceived stress. Journal of health and social behavior, 385-396. DOI: 10.2307/2136404
- Bong, W. Y. & Jeong, G. C. (2016). The influence of perceived stress on subjective well-being: the mediating effect of resilience and spiritual experience. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 16(2), 566-579. DOI: 10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.02.566 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.02.566
- Baron, R. M. & Kenny, D. A. (1986). The moderator?mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of personality and social psychology, 51(6), 1173. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- Sharma, S., Durand, R. M. & Gur-Arie, O. (1981). Identification and analysis of moderator variables. Journal of marketing research, 18(3), 291-300. DOI: 10.1177/002224378101800303 https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378101800303
- S. M. Kim & I. S. Shim. (2006). A Comparative Study on Self-Authorship for Career Decision and Its Influential Factors in Korean and American High-school Students. Korean Journal of Comparative Education, 16, 1-19.
- H. O. Kim & J. S. Lee. (2006). Emotional autonomy in Korean and German adolescents. The Korean Journal of Development Psychology, 19, 21-40.
- E. H. Jo & D. H. Lee (2016). Comparison of Ego-States, Stressors, and Stress Coping Types: Between University Students Day and Night Time. Journal of the Society of Korea Industrial and Systems Engineering, 39(4), 117-124. https://doi.org/10.11627/jkise.2016.39.4.117
- Seligman, M. E. (1972). Learned helplessness. Annual review of medicine, 23(1), 407-412. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.me.23.020172.002203
- C. S. Yu, I. J. Park & Y. W. Sohn. (2016). The Relationships of Learned Helplessness, Depression, Organizational Commitment and Job Engagement: Focusing on Depression as a Mediator and Calling as a Moderator. The Korean Psychological Association, 22(3), 431-453.
- Y. G. Kang & J. H. Kim. (2010). A relationship of Ego gram personality characteristics of college students and satisfaction with life scale: verifying mediation effect of positive and negative affect. Journal of Counseling, 10(1), 627-650.
- Emerson, J., Bertoch, M. R. & Checketts, K. T. (1994). Transactional analysis ego state functioning, psychological distress, and client change. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training, 31(1), 109. DOI: 10.1037/0033-322.214.171.124 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-3126.96.36.199
- S. Lee. (2006). The impacts of a community health practitioner's ego state, and interpersonal attitude on depression. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 36(3), 457-467. DOI: 10.4040/jkan.2006.36.3.457 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.3.457
- Yanagihara, K. et al. (2016). Child ego state is associated with high prevalence of repeated hospitalizations in patients with heart failure. ESC heart failure, 3(1), 18-25. DOI: 10.1002/ehf2.12060 https://doi.org/10.1002/ehf2.12060
- Dudas, R. B., Hans, K. & Barabas, K. (2005). Anxiety, depression and smoking in schoolchildren-implications for smoking prevention. The journal of the Royal Society for the Promotion of Health, 125(2), 87-92. DOI: 10.1177/146642400512500213 https://doi.org/10.1177/146642400512500213
- Breslau, N., Peterson, E. L., Schultz, L. R., Chilcoat, H. D. & Andreski, P. (1998). Major depression and stages of smoking: a longitudinal investigation. Archives of general psychiatry, 55(2), 161-166. DOI: 10.1001/archpsyc.55.2.161 https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.55.2.161
- J. M. Jung & J. K. Tak. (2005). Differences in Relations Between Job Stressors and Job Stress: Comparisons Between Male and Female Managers. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 10(3), 243-258.
- Y. R. Park & E. H. Jang. (2013). Impact of Stress on Depression among University Students: Testing for Moderating Effect of Social Support, Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 25(5), 549-558. DOI: 10.7475/kjan.2013.25.5.549 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.5.549