- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study of the Effects of Keller's ARCS Motivational Model on Learning Motivation and Academic Achievement in Business Major English Class
Keller의 ARCS 동기모델이 비즈니스 전공영어 수업에서 학습동기와 학업성취도에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Bu-Ja (Dept. of Global Business & Information, Seoul Christian University)
- 김부자 (서울기독대학교 국제경영정보학과)
- Received : 2019.01.02
- Accepted : 2020.02.20
- Published : 2020.02.28
The purpose of this study was to apply Keller's ARCS motivational model to the business major English class and to investigate the effects of ARCS model on learning motivation and academic achievement. The subject for this study was 27 junior students majoring in business administration who took the business major English class. As a means of measurement, questionnaires and the results of written tests were used. The analysis on the results of the two groups, the experimental group applying ARCS model and the comparison group using the traditional lecture method, showed that the teaching-learning method applying ARCS model for the business major English class was effective in improving all elements of learning motivation such as attention, relevance, confidence and satisfaction, and in improving academic achievement in business English and business-related content.
- D. M. Brinton, M. A. Snow & M. B. Wesche. (1989). Content-based second language instruction. New York: Newbury House.
- L. A. Jakobovits. (1970). Foreign language learning: A psychological analysis of the issues. Newbury House Publications.
- J. M. Keller. (1983). Motivational design of instruction. In C. M. Reigeluth(Ed.), Instructional design theories and models: An overview of their current status. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- H. B. Ha. (2006). Application of the ARCS model to efficient motivation in middle school English. Master thesis. Kyungpook National University. Seoul.
- I. O. Jung. (2004). Application of the ARCS model to efficient motivation in elementary English class. Master thesis. Kyungpook National University. Seoul.
- J. H. Park. (2010). An efficient motivation model for afterschool English classes: Based on the Keller's ARCS model. Master thesis. Dongguk University. Seoul.
- S. U. Han. (2012). A study of the effects of Keller's motivation strategy on learning motivation and academic achievement. Master thesis. Dankook Univerity. Seoul.
- J. O. Joe. (2014). A study on ARCS model's application for the development of learning motivation of college general English education. Korean Journal of General Education, 8(6), 111-141.
- Ian MacKenzie. (2006). English for business studies (Second edition). Cambridge University Press.
- Ian MacKenzie. (2010). English for business studies (Third edition). Cambridge University Press.
- B. J. Kim. (2018). A study on the application and the effect of business culture class using Keller's ARCS motivational model. The Society of Digital Policy & Management, 16(2), 73-82.
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. (1985). Intrinsic motivation and self-determination in human behavior. Berlin: Springer Science & Business Media.
- D. C. McClelland. (1985). Human motivation. Glenview, IL: Scott, Foresman. DOI : 10.1007/978-1-4899-2271-7
- B. Spolsky. (1989). Conditions for Second Language Learning. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- P. C. Smythe, R. Clement & L. Gliksman. (1976). Second language acquisition: A social psychological perspective. Canadian Modern Language Review, 32, 198-213. https://doi.org/10.3138/cmlr.32.3.198