- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
An Exploratory Study on Dispute Resolution Pattern of Vietnamese and Cambodian Marriage Immigrant Women in Multi-Cultural Family
다문화가족 결혼이주여성의 분쟁해결방식에 대한 탐색적 연구: 베트남·캄보디아 출신여성을 중심으로
- Chung, Yongkyun (Department of International Trade, Kangwon National University)
- 정용균 (국립강원대학교 국제무역학과)
- Received : 2020.01.06
- Accepted : 2020.02.20
- Published : 2020.02.28
This study examines dispute resolution patterns which Vietnamese and Cambodian marriage-immigrant women have utilized in their lives of South Korea. We implement two independent studies using quantitative and qualitative study based on interview method. Our findings show that first, most of marriage immigrant women from Vietnam and Cambodia adopt conflict avoidance method to resolve their disputes. Second, most of respondents tend to consult with people from mother countries in dispute resolution. Third, multi-cultural family support center may play an important role for consulting disputes of cross-border marriage women.
- H. G. Kim. (2011). Cross-Border Married Women's Family Attitudes and Behavior in Daegu Area, The Institute for Korean Culture, 49, 567-595.
- V. Gupta, G. Surie, M. Javidan & J. Chkokar. (2002). Southern Asian Cluster: Where the Old Meets New?. Journal of World Business, 37(1), 16-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1090-9516(01)00071-2
- Y. K. Chung (2018). Dispute Resolution Culture and Negotiation Style of Cambodia, in the Perspective of ADR. Southeast Asia Journal, 28(2), 3-39.
- G. Hofstede, G. Hofstede & M. Minkov. (2010). Cultures and Organizations, 3ed, McGraw Hill Co. New York.
- I. S. Yoo. (2014). Law and Family in Modern Vietnam, Withus Book.
- Y. K. Chung. (2016). Dispute Resolution Culture and Business Negotiation Strategy in Vietnam Based on Area Studies Methodology. Commerce and Information Review, 18(4), 221-262.
- D. K. Zou. (1312). Chin-Lap Pung To Ki, (tran. by B. W. Choi, 2016), Sanin.
- J. Y. Oh. (2019). Language Usage Patterns and Difficulties of Cambodian Multicultural Families in South Korea, Early Childhood Education & Care, 14(4), 53-83.
- D. H. Choi (2015). A Study on the Meaning of "Becoming a Mother" of Vietnamese Migrant Women, Journal of Diaspora Studies, 9(2), 233-256.
- H. M. Jo & Hoang Thi Viet Ha. (2017). A Comparative Analysis of the Motivation for Marriage and Relations with Their Family Vietnam Depending on Marriage Methods: A Case of Vietnamese Marriage Migrant Women, Discourse and Policy in Social Science, 10(1), 143-166. https://doi.org/10.22417/DPSS.2017.4.10.1.143
- M. J. Kim, M.K. Yoo, H. K. Lee, & K. S. Chung (2006). Dilemmas and Choices of Vietnamese and Filipino Migrants. Korean Cultural Anthropology, 39(1), 159-193.
- H. S. Kim & O. N. Kim. (2017). A Study on the Migrant's Response to the Exclusive Attitudes of Koreans: Focusing on Female Marriage Immigrants. Journal of Multicultural Society, 10(2), 145-191. https://doi.org/10.15685/jms.2017.08.10.2.145
- C. S. Park & N. R. Bae (2011). The Study of How to Integrate Multi-Cultural Families with the Local Community. Journal of Asian Studies, 14(3), 127-149.
- S. E. Cha & D. S. Kim (2008). The Effects of Social Roles on Depression of Foreign Wives in Korea: Focused on the Difference among Japanese, Chinese, and Vietnamese Wives. Korean Journal of Population Studies, 31(3), 131-157.
- E. J. Lee & M. K. Jun (2015). Exploratory Research on Marriage Migrant Recognition for Unmarried Vietnamese Women. Family and Environment Research, 53(2), 195-208. https://doi.org/10.6115/fer.2015.015
- C. Hughes (2001). An Investigation of Conflict Management in Cambodia Villages, Centre for Peace and Development Cambodia Development Resource Institute.
- J. N. Song. (2016). Overview on Society and Culture in Vietnam, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Seoul Korea.
- B. S. Kwon. (2009). The Effects of Korean Ability and Self-esteem on Acculturative Stress of Marriage Based Immigrant Women: Focused on Vietnamese Filipino, and Chinese Women in Daegu. Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 61(2), 5-32.
- M. S. Ko. (2019). Study on the Marriage Experience and Sexual Relationship of Divorced Vietnamese Immigrant Women. Journal of he Korea Contents Association, 19(11), 401-414.
- H. R. Choi. (2015). Vietnamese Marriage Migrant Brides Returning Home: Implications for Korea's Transition to Multicultural Society. East Asia Studies, 34(1), 143-182.
- A. L. Lee. (2014). The A Case Study on the Adjustment of Family Living Culture in Relation to Women Who Have Immigrated Through Marriage: Vietnamese Women in Seoul. Korean Journal of Family Resource Management Association 18(4), 69-90.
- H. Y. Jeong & J. W. Kim (2010). Conflict Process According to the Acculturation of the Vietnamese Migrated Women's Family in Korea. Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 62(2), 29-55. https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2010.62.2.002
- E. J. Lee & M. K. Jun. (2014). A Study of Vietnamese Immigrant Women Adaptation Experiences, With in the Sociocultural Context of Their Home Country. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 32(5), 63-86. https://doi.org/10.7466/JKHMA.2014.32.5.63
- T. Z. Kim & B. S. Kwon. (2012). A Qualitative Study on Vietnamese Marriage Migrant Women's Experience in Rite of Passage. Journal of Community Welfare, 43, 89-114.
- T. W. Kim (2013). The Adaptation to Korean Society and the Conflicts between Values of Vietnamese Female Marriage Migrants. Multi-Cultural Studies, 1(2), 53-76.
- D. Hong, S. W. Lee, S. W. Lee & S O. Choi. (2018). Loneliness by Experienced Space of Marriage Immigrant Women. Journal of Multicultural Society, 11(2), 281-316. https://doi.org/10.14431/jms.2018.08.11.2.281
- H. Lee, S. H. Lee & J. A. Choi. (2016). A Study for Multicultural Families as Digital Poverty: Focusing on Target Changes of the Digital Divide Survey for Multicultural Families. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(6), 1-7. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.1
- K. M. Kim. (2012). Married Immigrants Women's Social Networks and Life Satisfaction in Korea: The Case of Women from China, Vietnam, and Japan. Korean Journal of Population Studies, 35(2), 185-208.
- S. E. Choi (2019). Intercultural Interpretation on the Family Relation of Married Immigrant Women from Vietnam. Journal of Cultural Exchange, 8(2), 143-168. https://doi.org/10.30974/kaice.2019.8.2.143
- G. King, R. Keohane, and S. Verba (1995). The Importance of Research Design in Political Science. American Political Science Review, 89(2), 475-481. https://doi.org/10.2307/2082445
- R. Yin. (2003). Case Study Research Design and Methods, Sage, 2003
- J. Creswell. (2014). Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative and Mixed Methods Approaches, Fourth Edition, Sage.
- K. B. Kang (2009). Combination of Qualitative and Quantitative Researches in Policy Analysis and Evaluation. Korean Journal of Policy Analysis and Evaluation, 19(4), 43-67.
- I. Kim, S. Park, H. Choi, Y. Dong, S. Park, S. Ahn & H. Kim. (2018). A Current Study on Social Integration of Agricultural Multicultural Family, Korean Rural Economic Institute.
- Y. K. Chung (2019). Acculturation in Korean Multicultural Family: A Case Study of Chinese Immigrants in Gangwon Province, South Korea, Journal of Studies in Kangwon Community Culture, 40.
- O. N. Kim. (2006). Study on the Factors Affecting the Abuse of Immigrant Women. Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 58(4), 5-35.
- J. E. Lee. (2016). A Study on Immigrants' Communicative Aspects of Sociolinguistic Perspectives: Based on Interview Narratives of Marriage Immigrant Women in Gwangju. Teaching Korean as a Foreign Language , 44, 255-279. https://doi.org/10.21716/TKFL.44.9
- H. Y. Kim & B. D. Kang (2018). A Study on the Actual Condition of Child Education for Married Immigrant Women. Journal of Fisheries and Maritime Sciences Education, 30(3), 1010-1021. https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2018.06.30.3.1010
- K. J. Hyun. (2016). Effects of Economic Hardship and Cultural Challenge on Family Processes among the Multicultural Couples: Application of the Family Stress Model Caused by Economic Pressure. Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 30(4), 81-109.
- J. de Jong-Gierveld. (1987). Developing and Testing a Model of Loneliness.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 53, 119-128. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.124
- Y. K. Chung. (2016). A Study of Dispute Resolution in Indonesia: The ADR's Perspective. Southeast Asia Journal, 25(3), 73-108. https://doi.org/10.21485/hufsea.2016.25.3.003
- Y. K. Chung. (2019). Japanese Dispute Resolution Culture and ADR Institution in the Perspective of Med-Arb. Korean-Japanese Journal of Economics and Management Studies, 83, 3-24.
- Y. K. Chung. (2018). Dispute Resolution Culture and Institution of Laos in the Perspective of ADR Styles. Dispute Resolution Studies Review, 16(3), 81-110.
- M. Moon & S. H. Song (2014). Effects of Married Female Immigrants' Consciousness of Later Life and Social Leisure Activities on Their Preparation Perception for Their Later Life in Choongchungnam-Do. Journal of Digital Convergence, 12(7), 379-387. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.7.379
- D. H. Seo. (2017). Integration Policy towards Immigrations for Securing National Competitiveness, Social Economy & Policy Studies, 7(1), 87-113. https://doi.org/10.22340/seps.2017.02.7.1.87
- H. Lee & J. Kim (2016). Multicultural Family Support Centers' Educational Condition from Cultural Diversity Perspective, Asia-Pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art. Humanities and Sociology, 6(1), 281-288.
- S. H. Park. (2016). Effects of an Integrative Art Therapy Program on Self-Efficacy and Conflict Coping Strategies in Marriage Migrant Women. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(11), 565-575. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.565