- Volume 37 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Performance Analysis of DPSK Optical Communication for LEO-to-Ground Relay Link Via a GEO Satellite
- Lim, Hyung-Chul (Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute) ;
- Park, Jong Uk (Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute) ;
- Choi, Mansoo (Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute) ;
- Choi, Chul-Sung (Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute) ;
- Choi, Jae-Dong (Korea Aerospace Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Jongah (Korea Aerospace Research Institute)
- Received : 2020.01.23
- Accepted : 2020.01.31
- Published : 2020.03.15
Satellite optical communication has gained significant attention owing to its many quality features (e.g., a larger bandwidth, license free spectrum, higher data rate, and better security) compared to satellite microwave communication. Various experiments have been performed during many space missions to demonstrate and characterize inter-satellite links, downlinks, and uplinks. Korea has also planned to establish an experimental communication system using a geostationary earth orbit (GEO) satellite and the Geochang station as an optical ground station for low Earth orbit (LEO)-to-ground optical relay links. In this study, the performance of inter-satellite communication links and downlinks was investigated for the new Korean experimental communication system in terms of link margin, bit error rate (BER), and channel capacity. In particular, the performance of the inter-satellite links was analyzed based on the receiving apertures and the transmitting power, while that of the downlink was analyzed in terms of atmospheric turbulence conditions and transmitting power. Finally, we discussed two system parameters of receiving aperture and transmitting power to meet the three criteria of link margin, BER, and channel capacity.
Grant : Operation of Ground Based Laser Ranging System
Supported by : Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute
- Andrews LC, Phillips RL, Young CY, Laser Beam Scintillation with Applications (SPIE Press, Washington, 2001). https://doi.org/10.1117/3.412858
- Cakaj S, Keim W, Malaric K, Communications duration with low Earth orbiting satellites, Proceedings of 4th IASTED International Conference on Antennas, Radar and Wave Propagation, Montreal, QU, 30 May-1 Jun 2007.
- Chand N, Hunton AJ, Eteson BM, A comparative study of 2.667 Gb/s OOK, DPSK and PPM modulation formats for FSO applications, Proceedings of SPIE 7091, San Diego, CA, 10-14 Aug 2008.
- Degnan JJ, Millimeter accuracy satellite laser ranging: a review, Geodynamics. 25, 133-162 (1993). https://doi.org/10.1029/GD025p0133
- Degnan JJ, Klein BJ, Optical antenna gain. 2: receiving antennas, Appl. Opt. 13, 2397-2401 (1974). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.13.002397 https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.13.002397
- Ghassemlooy Z, Popoola W, Rajbhandari S, Optical Wireless Communications: system and Channel Modelling with MATLAB (CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2013).
- Ghoname S, Fayed HA, El Aziz AA, Aly MH, Performance analysis of FSO communication system: effects of fog, rain and humidity, Proceedings of 6th International Conference on Digital Information Processing and Communications, Lebanese University, Baabda, Lebanon, 21-23 April 2016.
- Giggenbach D, Henniger H, Fading-loss assessment in atmospheric free-space optical communication links with on-off keying, Opt. Eng. 47, 046001 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1117/1.2903095 https://doi.org/10.1117/1.2903095
- Hemmati H, Deep Space Optical Communications (Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2006).
- Kaushal H, Kaddoum G, Optical communication in space: challenges and mitigation techniques, IEEE Commun. Surv. Tutor. 19, 57-96 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1109/COMST.2016.2603518 1
- Kiasaleh K, Performance of APD-based, PPM free-space optical communication systems in atmospheric turbulence, IEEE Trans. Commun. 53, 1455-1461 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1109/TCOMM.2005.855009 https://doi.org/10.1109/TCOMM.2005.855009
- Knapek M, Horwath J, Moll F, Epple B, Courville N, et al., Optical high-capacity satellite downlinks via high-altitude platform relays, Proceedings of SPIE 6709, San Diego, CA, 25 Sep 2007.
- Li M, Li B, Zhang X, Song Y, Chang L, et al., Investigation of the phase fluctuation effect on the BER performance of DPSK space downlink optical communication system on fluctuation channel, Opt. Commun. 366, 248-252 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2016.01.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2016.01.003
- Lim HC, Sung KP, Yu SY, Choi M, Park E, et al., Satellite laser ranging system at geochang station, J. Astron. Space Sci. 35, 253-261 (2018). https://doi.org/10.5140/JASS.2018.35.4.253 1
- Ma J, Li K, Tan L, Yu S, Cao Y, Performance analysis of satellite-to-ground downlink coherent optical communications with spatial diversity over Gamma-Gamma atmospheric turbulence, Appl. Opt. 54, 7575-7585 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.54.007575 https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.54.007575
- Parry G, Puaey PN, K distributions in atmospheric propagation of laser light, J. Opt. Soc. Am. 69, 796-798 (1979). https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSA.69.000796 https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSA.69.000796
- Song YJ, Lee D, Bae J, Kim YR, Choi SJ, Flight dynamics and navigation for planetary missions in Korea: Past efforts, recent status, and future preparations, J. Astron. Space Sci. 35, 119-131 (2018). https://doi.org/10.5140/JASS.2018.35.3.119 1
- Zhang H, Li H, Hao C, Performance analysis for BPSK, DPSK and OOK-Based FSO system in atmospheric turbulence conditions, Int. J. Simul. Sys. Sci. Technol. 17, 1-6 (2016). https://doi.org/10.5013/IJSSST.a.17.36.37 1