- Volume 22 Issue 4
The test results of the ITER toroidal field conductors demonstrated a decrease of the current sharing temperature (Tcs) with an increase in the number of electromagnetic cycles in general. This is associating with several factors. One of them is the superconducting Nb3Sn filaments cracking and another one is the redistribution of the relative deformation of the Nb3Sn strands under Lorentz forces. Despite these factors, some conductors have shown the absence or significantly less degradation of Tcs during electromagnetic cycling. This article considers another possible reason for a more stable conductors Tcs behavior, namely, the local compression of Nb3Sn wires in the cross section of a conductor. In this article presents the results of a quantitative analysis Nb3Sn superconducting filaments cracking of strands extracted from a conductor that has passed electromagnetic cycling and the model of a conductor compaction, as well as calculation results based on this model are presented also.
- A. Devred, I. Backbier, D. Bessette, G. Bevillard, M. Gardner, C. Jong, F. Lillaz, N. Mitchell, G. Romano, and A. Vostner "Challenges and status of ITER conductor production," Supercond. Sci. Technol., vol. 27, pp. 044001, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1088/0953-2048/27/4/044001
- M. Breschi, D. Macioce, and A. Devred, "Performance analysis of the to-roidal field ITER production conductors," Supercond. Sci. Technol., vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 055007, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6668/aa6785
- Soo-Hyeon Park, Soun Pil Kwon, Won Woo Park, Heekyung Choi, Young Jae Ma, Young Ho Seo, Boris Stepanov, and Pierluigi Bruzzone, "Overview of Performance Test of Korean CICCs for ITER TF Magnet," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 4801104, 2016.
- C. Sanabria, P. J. Lee, W. Starch, I. Pong, A. Vostner, M. C. Jewell, A. Devred, and D. C. Larbalestier, "Evidence that filament fracture occurs in an ITER toroidal field conductor after cyclic Lorentz force loading in SULTAN," Supercond. Sci. Technol., vol. 25, pp. 075007, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1088/0953-2048/25/7/075007
- A. Tronza, V. I. Pantsyrny, B. Stepanov, P. Bruzzone, A. V. Paramonov, M. V. Kochetov, D. S. Kaverin, K. A. Shutov, V. S. Vysotsky, A. E. Vorobieva, I. M. Abdyukhanov, and M. V. Polikarpova, "Testing of RF 100 m TF Qualification Conductor in the SULTAN Test Facility," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 9500805, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2013.2243798
- D. Kaverin, L. Potanina, K. Shutov, V. Vysotsky, V. Tronza, A. Mitin, I. Abdyukhanov, and M. Alekseev "Analysis of Nb3Sn Strand Microstructure After Full-size SULTAN Test of ITER TF Conductor Sample," Physics Procedia, vol. 67, pp. 914-919, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phpro.2015.06.154
- C. Calzolaio, and P. Bruzzone, "Analysis of the CICC Performance Through the Measurement of the Thermal Strain Distribution of the Nb3Sn Filaments in the Cable Cross Section," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 4802204, 2014.
- C. Calzolaio, P. Bruzzone, and B. Stepanov, "Monitoring of the Thermal Strain Distribution in CICCs During the Cyclic Loading Tests in SULTAN," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 4200404, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2012.2235492
- C. Calzolaio, P. Bruzzone, and D. Uglietti "Measurement of Tc distribution in Nb3Sn CICC," Supercond. Sci. Technol., vol. 25, pp. 054007, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1088/0953-2048/25/5/054007
- A. Nijhuis, et al., Supercond. Sci. Technol., vol. 26, pp. 084004, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1088/0953-2048/26/8/084004
- M. K. Sheth, P. J. Lee, D. M. McRae, C. M. Sanabria, W. L. Starch, R. P. Walsh, M. C. Jewell, A. Devred, and D. C. Larbalestier "Study of Filament Cracking Under Uniaxial Repeated Loading for ITER TF Strands," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 4802504-4802504, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2011.2174554
- D. Kaverin, "The influence of technological and operational factors on the characteristics of CICC for ITER TF coils," Ph. D. thesis, MPEI, 2016 (in Russian)
- S. Park, et al., "Overview of Conductor Production for ITER Toroidal Field Magnet in Korea," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 1-5, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2014.2357499
- Y. Takahashi, et al., Nucl. Fusion, vol. 51, pp. 113015, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1088/0029-5515/51/11/113015
- V. I. Tronza, et al., "Russia's Contribution to the ITER TF Magnets," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 1-5, 2016.
- Y. Wu, et al., "Manufacturing of the ITER TF Conductors in China," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 4802004-4802004, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2013.2248412
- T. Boutboul, et al., "Status of the Procurement of the European Superconductors for the ITER Magnets," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 1-4, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2013.2288034
- M. F. Nawaz, G. Bourrie, and F. Trolard, "Soil compaction impact and modelling. A review," Agronomy for Sustainable Development, vol. 33, pp. 291-309, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13593-011-0071-8
- T. Keller, P. Defoseen, P. Wieskopf, J. Arvidsson, and G. Richard, "SoilFlex: A model for prediction of soil stresses and soil compaction due to agricultural field traffic including a synthesis of analytical approaches," Soil & Tillage Research, vol. 93, pp. 391-411, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2006.05.012
- S. Mielle and E. J. Garboczi, "Linear elastic properties of 2D and 3D models of porous materials made from elongated object," Modelling Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng., vol. 9, pp. 371-390, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1088/0965-0393/9/5/303
- Available on-line: http://hydra.nat.uni-magdeburg.de/packing/cci/
- SuwaTomone, et al., "Influence of Indentation on the Critical Current of Nb3Sn Strands," Physics Procedia, vol. 67, pp. 908-913, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phpro.2015.06.153
- T. Hemmi, et al., "Neutron Diffraction Measurements of Internal Strain in Nb3Sn Cable-In-Conduit Conductors," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 2028-2031, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2010.2089770
- G. S. Glaesemann, J. A. Smith, D. A. Clark, and R. Johnson, "Measuring thermal and mechanical stresses on optical fiber in a DC module using fiber Bragg gratings," Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 3461-3468, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2005.857775