- Volume 22 Issue 4
Among many variables in processing the high performance MgB2 bulk superconductors, simple and important approach is to optimize the size dependence of the Mg & B raw powders. The present study is dedicated towards the variation in superconducting properties of MgB2 depending upon the various combination of Mg & B powders with the two different particle sizes respectively. From morphological investigation of the MgB2 samples, narrow and long pores are observed when the larger Mg powders are used, whereas it is rather like the oval shapes with the smaller Mg powders. Also, it can be seen that the connectivity of the MgB2 samples is much enhanced with the smaller size of the B powders. Jc-H properties of the MgB2 samples also indicate that the highest Jc can be obtained when using the smaller size of the B powder with the combination of the smaller Mg powders than that of the larger Mg powders. If the cases with the larger B powers, it is more favorable to select the larger Mg powders with the better Jc-H properties considering shorter diffusion length of Mg and more homogeneous mixture between the Mg & B powders.
- Rene Flukiger, et al., "MgB2 Superconducting Wires; Basics and Applications," World Scientific Publishing, 2016.
- J. H. Kim, et al., "Tailed materials for high-performance MgB2 wire," Adv. Mater., vol. 23, pp. 4942-4946, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.201101243
- HITACHI news & events, "Development of 8-km-long Magnesium Diboride Superconducting Wire," https://www.hitachi.com/rd /news/topics/2019/1016.html, Oct. 16, 2019.
- X. Xu, et al., "Effect of boron powder purity on superconducting properties of MgB2," Supercond. Sci. Technol., vol. 19, pp. 466, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1088/0953-2048/19/6/009
- S. Ye, et al., "Fabrication of MgB2 superconducting wires with a hybrid method combining internal Mg diffusion and powder in tube processes," Supercond. Sci. Technol., vol. 27, pp. 055017, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1088/0953-2048/27/5/055017
- J. H. Kim, et al., "Microscopic role of carbon on MgB2 wire for critical current density comparable to NbTi," NPG Asia Materials, vol. 4, e3, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1038/am.2012.3
- D. N. Kim, et al., "Effects of the size of Mg powder on the formation of MgB2 and the superconducting properties," Progress in Superconductivity and Cryogenics, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 9-14, 2016. https://doi.org/10.9714/psac.2016.18.4.009
- B. B. Sinha, et al., "Evaluation of Mg size dependence on supercondivtity of MgB2," Progress in Superconductivity and Cryogenics, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 39-43, 2013. https://doi.org/10.9714/psac.2013.15.2.039
- A. Bateni, et al., "High-quality MgB2 nanocrystals synthesize by using modified amorphous nano-boron powders: Study of defect structures and superconductivity properties," AIP Advances, vol. 9, pp. 045018, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5089488
- Y. Hishinuma, et al., "Effect of boron particle size on microstructure and superconducting properties of in-situ Cu addition MgB2 multifilamentary wire," Journal of Physics: Conference Series, vol. 507, pp. 022009, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/507/2/022009