- Volume 22 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Stability and normal zone propagation in YBCO tapes with Cu stabilizer depending on cooling conditions at 77 K
Kruglov, S.L.;Polyakov, A.V.;Shutova, D.I.;Topeshkin, D.A.
- Received : 2020.11.04
- Accepted : 2020.12.28
- Published : 2020.12.31
Here we present the comparative experimental study of the stability of the superconducting state in 4 mm YBCO tapes with copper lamination against local heat disturbances at 77 K. The samples are either directly cooled by immersing a bare YBCO tape into a liquid nitrogen pool or operate in nearly-adiabatic conditions when the tape is covered by a 0.6 mm layer of Kapton insulation. Main quench characteristics, i.e. minimum quench energies (MQEs) and normal zone propagation (NZP) velocities for both samples are measured and compared. Minimum NZP currents are determined by a low ohmic resistor technique eligible for obtaining V - I curves with a negative differential resistance. The region of transport currents satisfying the stationary stability criterion is found for the different cooling conditions. Finally, we use the critical temperature margin as a universal scaling parameter to compare the MQEs obtained in this work for YBCO tapes at 77 K with those taken from literature for low-temperature superconductors in vacuum at 4.2 K, as well as for MgB2 wires cooled with a cryocooler down to 20 K.
- S. P. Ashworth, C. Beduz, R. G. Scurlock, and Y. Yang, "Stability of high Tc superconductors cooled in a liquid nitrogen pool," Proc. of the Twelfth Inter. Cryogen. Eng.Conf., pp. 943-949, 1988.
- L. Ren, et al., "Experimental analysis of quench characteristic in HTS tapes and coils," IEEE Trans. on Appl. Supercond., vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 4700606, 2019.
- F. Trillaud, H. Palanki, U. P. Trociewitz, S. H. Thompson, H. W. Weijers, and J. Schwartz, "Normal zone propagation experiments on HTS composite conductors," Cryogenics, vol. 43, no. 3-5, pp. 271-279, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-2275(03)00044-4
- E. A. Young, C. M. Friend, and Y. Yang, "Quench characteristics of a stabilizer-free 2G HTS conductor," IEEE Trans. on Appl. Supercond., vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 2500-2503, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2009.2018275
- X. Wang, et al., "Normal zone initiation and propagation in Y-Ba-Cu-O coated conductors with Cu stabilizer," IEEE Trans. on Appl. Supercond., vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 2586-2589, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2005.847661
- H. Park, et al., "Analysis of temperature dependent quench characteristics of the YBCO coated conductor," IEEE Trans. on Appl. Supercond., vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 2122-2125, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2010.2041770
- X. Wang, U. P. Trocievich, and J. Schwarts, "Near-adiabatic quench experiments on short YBa2Cu3O7-δYBa2Cu3O7-δ coated conductors," Journ. of Appl. Phys., vol. 101, pp. 053904, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2435804
- Y. Iwasa, et al., "Stability and quench protection of coated YBCO "Composite" tape," IEEE Trans. on Appl. Supercond., vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 1683-1686, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2005.849238
- J. Nugteren, M. Dhalle, S. E. Wessel, A. Nijhuis, and H. ten Kate, "Measurement and analysis of normal zone propagation in a REBCO coated conductor at temperatures below 50 K," Phys. Proc., vol. 67, pp. 945-951, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phpro.2015.06.159
- A. Armenio, A. Augieri, G. Celentano, V. Galluzzi, A. Mancini, A. Rufoloni, A. Vannozzi, U. Gambardella, A. Saggese, P. Sessa, and S. Pace, "Stability measurements on YBCO coated conductors," IEEE Trans. on Appl. Supercond., vol. 18, pp. 1293-1296, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2008.920835
- V. Altov, V. B. Zenkevich, M. G. Kremlev, and V. V. Sychev, "Stabilization of superconducting magnetic systems," International Cryogenics Monograph Series, New York and London: Plenum Press, 1977.
- M. N. Wilson, "Superconducting magnets," Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1983.
- R. Grabovickic, J. W. Lue, M. Gouge, J. Demko, and R. Duckworth, "Measurements of temperature dependence of the stability and quench propagation of a 20-cm-long RABiTS Y-Ba-Cu-O tape," IEEE Trans. on Appl. Supercond., vol. 13, pp. 1726-1730, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2003.812874
- B. V. Balakina, M. I. Delov, K. V. Kutsenko, A. A. Lavrukhin, and O. V. Zhdaneev, "Heat transfer from Ni-W tapes in liquid nitrogen at different orientations in the field of gravity," Cryogenics, vol. 65, pp. 5-9, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cryogenics.2014.11.003
- H. Merte, and J. A. Clark, "Boiling heat-transfer data for liquid nitrogen at standard and near-zero gravity," Boston: Springer Adv. in Cryogen. Eng., vol. 7, pp. 546, 1962.
- I. Falorio, E. A. Young, and Y. Yang, "Quench characteristic and minimum quench energy of 2G YBCO tapes," IEEE Trans. on Appl. Supercond., vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 6605505, 2015.
- D. Baynham, V. Edwards, and M. Wilson, "Transient stability of high current density superconducting wires," IEEE Trans. on Magn., vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 732-735, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.1981.1060986
- M. Bonura, and C. Senatore, "Thermal conductivity and stability of commercial MgB2 conductors," Supercond. Sci. Technol., vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 115014, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1088/0953-2048/28/11/115014
- L. Ye, D. Cruciani, M. Xu, S. Mine, K. Amm, and J. Schwartz, "Magnetic field dependent stability and quench behavior and degradation limits in conduction-cooled MgB2 wires and coils," Supercond. Sci. Technol., vol. 28, pp. 035015, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1088/0953-2048/28/3/035015