- Volume 22 Issue 4
We fabricated superconducting quantum interference devices (SQUIDs) based on Nb Josephson junctions, and characterized the key parameters of the SQUIDs. The SQUIDs are double relaxation oscillation SQUIDs (DROSs) having larger flux-to-voltage transfer coefficient than the standard DC-SQUIDs. SQUID sensors were fabricated by using Nb junction technology consisted of a DC magnetron sputtering and a conventional photolithography process. In multichannel SQUID systems for whole-head magnetoencephalography measurement with a helmet-type SQUID array, we need about 336 SQUID sensors for each system. In this paper, we fabricated a few hundred SQUID sensors, measured the critical current, flux modulation voltage and decided if each tested SQUID can be used for the multichannel systems. As the criterion for the acceptance of the sensors, we chose the critical current and amplitude of the modulation voltage to be 8 ㎂ and 80 ㎶, respectively. The average critical current of the SQUIDs was 10.58 ㎂. The typical flux noise of the SQUIDs with input coil shorted was 2 μΦ0/√Hz at white region.
- J. Clarke, and A. I. Braginski, The SQUID Handbook. Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2004.
- R. Korber et al., "SQUIDs in biomagnetism: a roadmap towards improved healthcare," Supercond. Sci. Technol., vol. 29, no. 11, p. 113001, Nov. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1088/0953-2048/29/11/113001
- Y. H. Lee et al., "3-channel double relaxation oscillation SQUID magnetometer system with simple readout electronics," IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 2156-2159, Jun. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/77.403010
- Kim, J.M., Kim, K.D., Lee, Y.H., Yu, K.K., Kim, K.W., Kwon, H.C., Sasada, Ichiro, "Noise Characteristics of Readout Electronics for 64-channel DROS Magnetocardiogram System," Prog. Supercond., vol. 7, no. 1, pp.46-51, 2005
- Y. H. Lee, H. C. Kwon, J. M. Kim, Y. K. Park and J. C. Park, "Double Relaxation Oscillation SQUID with High Flux-to-Voltage Transfer and its Application to a Biomagnetic Multichannel System," J. Kor. Phys. Soc., vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 600-605, 1998.
- Y.H. Lee, J.M. Kim, H.C. Kwon, S.K. Lee, C.M. Lim, Y.K. Park, J.C. Park, "Fabrication and Noise Characteristics of a Double Relaxation Oscillation Superconducting Quantum Interference Device with a High Flux-to-Voltage Transfer," Sae Mulli, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 86-93, 1999.
- Ch. Kaiser, J.M. Meckbach, K.S. Ilin, J. Lisenfeld, R. Schafer, A. V. Ustinov, M. Siegel, "Aluminum hard mask technique for the fabrication of high quality submicron Nb/Al-AlOx/Nb Josephson junctions," Supercond. Sci. Technol., vol. 24, pp. 035005, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1088/0953-2048/24/3/035005
- Y. H. Lee, K. K. Yu, H. Kwon, J. M. Kim, K. Kim, Y. K. Park, H. C. Yang, K. L. Chen, S. Y. Yang, and H. E. Horng, "A whole-head magnetoencephalography system with compact axial gradiometer structure," Supercond. Sci. Technol., vol. 22, 2009, Art. no. 045023.