- Volume 22 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Development and performance evaluation of a cryogenic blower for HTS magnets
- Kwon, Yonghyun (Changwon National University) ;
- Mun, Jeongmin (Changwon National University) ;
- Lee, Jaehwan (Changwon National University) ;
- Seo, Geonghang (Changwon National University) ;
- Kim, Dongmin (Korea Institute of Machinery and Materials) ;
- Lee, Changhyeong (Supergenics) ;
- Sim, Kideok (Supergenics) ;
- Kim, Seokho (Changwon National University)
- Received : 2020.12.02
- Accepted : 2020.12.24
- Published : 2020.12.31
Cooling by gas helium circulation can be used for various HTS (high temperature superconductor) magnets operating at 20~40 K, and a cryogenic blower is an essential device for circulating gas helium in the cooling system. The performance of the cryogenic blower is determined by various design parameters such as the impeller diameter, the blade number, the vane angle, the volute cross-sectional area, and the rotating speed. The trailing edge angle and the height of impeller vane are also key design factors in determining the blower performance. This study describes the design, fabrication and performance evaluation of cryogenic blower to produce a flow rate of 30 g/s at 5 bar, 35 K gas helium. The impeller shape is designed using a specific speed/specific diameter diagram and CFD analysis. After the fabrication of the cryogenic blower, a test equipment is also developed using a GM cryocooler. The measured flow rates and the pressure differences are compared with the design values at various rotating speeds and the results show a good agreement. Isentropic efficiency is also evaluated using the measured pressures and temperatures.
- K. G. Herd, R. A. Ackermann, P. S. Thopmson, "A Gasoues-Helium Cooling System for a High-Tc Superconducting Coil," Advanced in Cryogenics Engineering, vol. 43, no. A, 1998.
- C. Y. Lee, J. H. Lee, J. Lim, Y. S. Choi, J. M. Jo, K. S. Lee, Y. D. Chung, S. Kim, and H. Lee "Design and Evaluation of Prototype High-Tc Superconducting Linear Synchronous Motor for High-Speed Transportation," IEEE Transactions on Applied super conductivity, vol. 30, no. 4, 2020.
- H. Park, K. Sim, H. Jo, D. G. Kim, J. Kim, and S. Kim "Thermal and Mechanical Design of a HTS Quadrupole Magnet of In-Flight Fragment Separator for Rare Isotope Science Project (RISP)," IEEE Transactions on Applied super conductivity, vol. 26, no. 4, 2016.
- J. Lee, G. Seo, J. Mun, M. Park, and S. Kim, "Thermal and Mechanical Design for Refrigeration System of 10 MW Class HTS Wind Power Generator," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 30, no. 4, 2020.
- O. E. Balje, Turbomachines, JOHN WILEY & SONS, 1981.
- A.T. Sayers , Hydrulic and compressible flow turbo machines, Mcgraw Hill, 1992.
- J. Seok, D. Kim, C. Lee, M. Kim, J. Choi, and S. Kim, "Development and performance test of a liquid nitrogen circulation pump for HTS power cable," Progress in Superconductivity and Cryogenics, vol. 20, no. 3, 2018.
- "CFX " ANSYS, Inc., Canonsburg, PA, USA, 2020, accessed on Nov. 20, 2020. Available : https://www.ansys.com/products/fluids/ansys-cfx.