- Volume 34 Issue 6
This paper introduces the 5G spectrum auction in Germany that occurred last summer and ended overheatedly after an extraordinarily long period. We describe the context of the latest German spectrum auction and trace the participants' bidding behavior. This case details the trend of the 5G spectrum auction and the factors that affect the spectrum auction as follows: First, it is determined that investment obligations that force network installations can be a financial burden to mobile network operators (MNOs) and require a careful approach. Second, excess demands can cause auction overheating and the spectrum supply volume needs to be determined by a proper demand forecast and investment incentive. Third, 'Set-Aside' for local usage aids in developing the vertical industry; however it limits the spectrum supply for mobiles and leads to higher bidding prices. Fourth, a modified adoption of a typical spectrum auction can alleviate MNO's financial burdens to secure the broadband spectrum. Finally, competition to secure the necessary bandwidth in the situation of limited spectrum supply may delay the process of the spectrum auction, causing it overheated.
- BNetzA, Draft consultation document on the order for and choice of proceedings for the award of spectrum in the 2 GHz and 3.6 GHz bands for mobile/fixed communication networks, 20. Mar. 2018.
- BNetzA, Decision of the President's Chamber of the Bundesnetzagentur fur Elektrizitat, Gas, Teleko mmunikation, Post und Eisenbahnen of 26 November 2018 on the determinations and rules in detail (award rules) and on the determinations and rules for conduct of the proceedings (auction rules) to award spectrum in the 2 GHz and 3.6 GHz bands, 18. Dec. 2018.
- PolicyTracker, "Mobile players doubtful over Germany's 5G auction plan," 23. Nov. 2018.
- 과학기술정보통신부, 이동통신(IMT)용 주파수할당 공고, 과학기술정보통신부 공고 제2018-235호, 2018. 5. 4.
- TeleGeography, "Telekom is latest operator to sue over 5G auction rules," 4. Jan. 2019.
- Financial Times, "Deutsche Telekom, Telefonica and Vodafone fail to halt German 5G auction," 15. Mar. 2019.
- TeleGeography, "1&1 Drillisch confirms plans to participate in 5G auction," 25. Jan. 2019.
- 5Global News, "5G Auction in Germany: Three lawsuits and a new participant," 15. Jan. 2019.
- MarketScreener, "1&1 Drillisch: has decided to take part in 5G spectrum auction," 24. Jan. 2019.
- TeleGeography, "Four companies set to bid in German 5G spectrum auction," 26. Feb. 2019.
- EU, Directive(EU) 2018/1972 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 December 2018 establishing the European Electronic Communications Code (Recast), 2018. 12.
- BNetzA, "Frequenz-Kompass," New frequencies for further roll-out of digital infrastructures, 2018. 7.
- TeleGeography, "FNA investigates requirements for potential 5G frequencies," 29. Jun. 2017.
- Daily News, "Market unimpressed as billionaire throws hat into Germany's 5G ring," 25. Jan. 2019.
- Techradar, "Germany makes private 5G spectrum available for industry," 12. Mar. 2019.
- 전수연, 윤두영, "미국의 주파수 경매의 법과 절차 분석," 정보통신정책, vol.19, no.1, p.17, 2007. 1.
- BNetzA, Frequenzauktion 2019, https://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/DE/Sachgebiete/Telekommunikation/Unternehmen_Institutionen/Frequenzen/OeffentlicheNetze/Mobilfunknetze/RundenergebnisseTabelle.html?nn=268128
- ITU, Minimum requirements related to technical performance for IMT-2020 radio interface, Report ITU-R M.2410-0, 2017.
- PolicyTracker, "Germany's regulator moves to accelerate 5G auction," 6. Jun. 2019.
- BNetzA, Aktuelle Seite: Frequenzauktion beendet, https://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/DE/Artikel/DG/Frequenzauktion-faq.html
- Reuters, "Germany raises 6.55 billion euros in epic 5G spectrum auction," 13. Jun. 2019.
- PolicyTracker, "German 5G auction ends with bids of €6.5 billion," 14. Jun. 2019.
- Arcep, Procedure and conditions for allocating frequencies in the "core" 5G band (3.4-3.8 GHz): publication of a draft decision for public consultation, 2019. 7.