- Volume 24 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Organizational Justice on Information Security-Related Role Stress and Negative Behaviors
- Hwang, Inho (Startup Development Center, Korea Polytechnic University) ;
- Ahn, SangJoon (School of management, Kyung Hee University)
- Received : 2019.09.04
- Accepted : 2019.10.12
- Published : 2019.11.29
In recent years, many organizations protect their information resources by investing in information security technology. However, information security threats from insiders have not been reduced. This study proposes a method for reducing information security threats within an organization by mitigating negative information security behaviors of employees. Specifically, the study finds a relationship between information security related role stress and negative behavior and suggests whether organizational justice mitigates role stress. That is, the purpose of the study is to suggest a mechanism between organizational justice, information security related role stress, and negative behavior. Negative behavior consist of avoidance behavior and deviant behavior, and security related role stress consist of role conflict and role ambiguity. Organizational justice consist of distributional justice, procedural justice, and informational justice. The research model is verified through structural equation modeling. After establishing a research model and hypothesis, we develop a survey questionnaire and collect data from 383 employees whose organizations have already implemented security policies. The findings appear that security related role stress increases negative behavior and that organizational justice mitigates role stress. The results of the analysis suggest the direction of organizational strategy for minimizing insider's security-related negative behaviors.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- IDC, Worldwide Semiannual Security Spending Guide, 2016.
- K. D. Loch, H. H. Carr, and M. E. Warkentin, "Threats to Information Systems: Today's Reality, Yesterday's Understanding," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 173-186, 1992. https://doi.org/10.2307/249574
- Verizon, 2019 Data Breach Investigations Report, 2019.
- J. D'Arcy, A. Hovav, and D. Galletta, "User Awareness of Security Countermeasures and Its Impact on Information Systems Misuse: A Deterrence Approach," Information Systems Research, Vol. 20, No.1, pp. 79-98, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1070.0160
- K. H. Guo, and Y. Yuan, “The Effects of Multilevel Sanctions on Information Security Violations: A Mediating Model,” Information and Management, Vol. 49, No. 6, pp. 320-326, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2012.08.001
- N. S. Safa, M. Sookhak, R. Von Solms, S. Furnell, N. A. Ghani, and T. Herawan, "Information Security Conscious Care Behaviour Formation in Organizations," Computers and Security, Vol. 53, pp. 65-78, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cose.2015.05.012
- C. Posey, T. L. Roberts, and P. B. Lowry, "The Impact of Organizational Commitment on Insiders' Motivation to Protect Organizational Information Assets," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 179-214, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.2015.1138374
- W. R. Flores, and M. Ekstedt, "Shaping Intention to Resist Social Engineering through Transformational Leadership, Information Security Culture and Awareness," Computers and Security, Vol. 59, pp. 26-44, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cose.2016.01.004
- R. West, “The Psychology of Security,” Communications of the ACM, Vol. 51, No, 4, pp. 34-40, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1145/1330311.1330320
- I. Hwang, D. Kim, T. Kim, and S. Kim, “Why not Comply with Information Security? An Empirical Approach for the Causes of Non-compliance,” Online Information Review, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 1-17, 2017.
- J. D'Arcy, T. Herath, and M. K. Shoss, “Understanding Employee Responses to Stressful Information Security Requirements: A Coping Perspective,” Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 285-318, 2014. https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222310210
- I. Hwang, and O. Cha, "Examining Technostress Creators and Role Stress as Potential Threats to Employees' Information Security Compliance," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 81, pp. 282-293, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2017.12.022
- P. Ifinedo, “Understanding Information Systems Security Policy Compliance: An Integration of the Theory of Planned Behavior and the Protection Motivation Theory,” Computers and Security, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 83-95, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cose.2011.10.007
- H. L. Chou, and C. Chou, "An Analysis of Multiple Factors Relating to Teachers' Problematic Information Security Behavior," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 65, pp. 334-345, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.08.034
- J. M. Stanton, K. R. Stam, P. Mastrangelo, and J. Jolton, “Analysis of End User Security Behaviors,” Computers and Security, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 124-133, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cose.2004.07.001
- Y. Chen, and F. M. Zahedi, "Individuals' Internet Security Perceptions and Behaviors: Polycontextual Contrasts Between the United States and China," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 205-222, 2016. https://doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2016/40.1.09
- H. Liang, and Y. Xue, “Understanding Security Behaviors in Personal Computer Usage: A Threat Avoidance Perspective,” Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 11, No. 7, pp. 394-413, 2010. https://doi.org/10.17705/1jais.00232
- M. Siponen, and A. Vance, “Neutralization: New Insights into the Problem of Employee Information Systems Security Policy Violations,” MIS Quarterly, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 487-502, 2010. https://doi.org/10.2307/25750688
- R. J. Bennett, and S. L. Robinson, “Development of a Measure of Workplace Deviance,” Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 85, No. 3, pp. 349-360, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.85.3.349
- A. M. Chu, and P. Y. Chau, "Development and Validation of Instruments of Information Security Deviant Behavior," Decision Support Systems, Vol. 66, pp. 93-101, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2014.06.008
- M. Salanova, S. Llorens, and E. Cifre, "The Dark Side of Technologies: Technostress among Users of Information and Communication Technologies", International Journal of Psychology, Vol. 48, No. 3, pp. 422-436, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207594.2012.680460
- M. Tarafdar, Q. Tu, B. S. Ragu-Nathan, and T. S. Ragu-Nathan, “The Impact of Technostress on Role Stress and Productivity,” Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 301-328, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222240109
- D. F. Parker, and T. A. DeCotiis, “Organizational Determinants of Job Stress,” Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 160-177, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(83)90145-9
- R. Ayyagari, V. Grover, and R. Purvis, “Technostress: Technological Antecedents and Implications,” MIS Quarterly, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 831-858, 2011. https://doi.org/10.2307/41409963
- D. N. Behrman, and W. D. Perreault Jr, “A Role Stress Model of the Performance and Satisfaction of Industrial Salespersons,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 48, No. 4, pp. 9-21, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224298404800101
- P. S. Galluch, V. Grover, and J. B. Thatcher, “Interrupting the Workplace: Examining Stressors in an Information Technology Context,” Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 1-47, 2015. https://doi.org/10.17705/1jais.00387
- M. Vakola, and I. Nikolaou, “Attitudes towards Organizational Change: What is the Role of Employees' Stress and Commitment?,” Employee Relations, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 160-174, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1108/01425450510572685
- A. Tziner, ERabenu, R. Radomski, and A. Belkin, “Work Stress and Turnover Intentions among Hospital Physicians: The Mediating Role of Burnout and Work Satisfaction,” Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 207-213, 2015.
- M. T. Tsai, and N. C. Cheng, “Understanding Knowledge Sharing between IT Professionals: An Integration of Social Cognitive and Social Exchange Theory,” Behaviour and Information Technology, Vol. 31, No. 11, pp. 1069-1080, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1080/0144929X.2010.550320
- P. E. Spector. "Industrial and organizational psychology" Research and Practice, 2009.
- J. S. Adams, "Inequity in Social Exchange" In Advances in experimental social psychology (Vol. 2, pp. 267-299). Academic Press, 1965.
- G. C. Homans, "Social behavior: Its elementary forms" Oxford, England: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1974.
- R. H. Moorman. "Relationship between Organizational Justice and Organizational Citizenship Behaviors: Do Fairness Perceptions Influence Employee Citizenship?," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 76, No. 6, pp. 845-855, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.76.6.845
- J. A. Colquitt. "On the Dimensionality of Organizational Justice: A Construct Validation of a Measure," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 86, No. 3, pp. 386-400, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.86.3.386
- Y. Zhang, J. A. LePine, B. R. Buckman, and F. Wei, "It's not Fair... or is It? The Role of Justice and Leadership in Explaining Work Stressor-Job Performance Relationships," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 57, No. 3, pp. 675-697, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2011.1110
- C. B. Meyer, "Allocation Processes in Mergers and Acquisitions: An Organizational Justice Perspective," British Journal of Management, Vol. 12, No.1, pp. 47-66, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8551.00185
- S. W. Hystad, K. J. Mearns and J. Eid, "Moral Disengagement as a Mechanism between Perceptions of Organisational Injustice and Deviant Work Behaviours," Safety Science, Vol. 68, pp. 138-145, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2014.03.012
- T. A. Judge, and J. A. Colquitt, “Organizational Justice and Stress: The Mediating Role of Work-family Conflict,” Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 89, No. 3, pp. 395-404, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.89.3.395
- P. M. Muchinsky, "Psychology Applied to Work: An Introduction to Industrial and Organizational Psychology" Cengage Learning, 2006.
- H. Zhang, and N. C. Agarwal, “The Mediating Roles of Organizational Justice on the Relationships between HR Practices and Workplace Outcomes: An Investigation in China,” The International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 676-693, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585190802707482
- J. Greenberg, and J. A. Colquitt, "Handbook of Organizational Justice" Psychology Press, 2013.
- H. Li, R.Sarathy, J. Zhang, and X. Luo, “Exploring the Effects of Organizational Justice, Personal Ethics and Sanction on Internet Use Policy Compliance,” Information Systems Journal, Vol. 24, No. 6, pp. 479-502, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/isj.12037
- M. A. Alam, "Techno-stress and Productivity: Survey Evidence from the Aviation Industry," Journal of Air Transport Management, Vol. 50, pp. 62-70, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2015.10.003
- J. C. Nunnally, "Psychometric Theory" (2nd ed.) New York: McGraw-Hill, 1978.
- B. H. Wixom, and H. J. Watson, “An Empirical Investigation of the Factors Affecting Data Warehousing Success,” MIS Quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 17-41, 2001. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250957
- C. Fornel,l and D. F. Larcker. "Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378101800104
- L. J. Williams, and S. E. Anderson, “An Alternative Approach to Method Effects by Using Latent-variable Models: Applications in Organizational Behavior Research,” Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 79, No. 3, pp. 323-331, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.79.3.323