- Volume 9 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
The Life Satisfaction and Ego-Resilience in Primary School Entrants': A test of school adjustment's mediation effects
초등학교 입학초기 아동의 삶의 만족도와 자아탄력성: 학교생활적응의 매개효과 검증
- Kang, Sang (Go Chang Boduminaunmi Child-Care Center) ;
- Ryu, Kyung-Hee (Center for Educational Innovations, Wonkwang University)
- Received : 2019.08.02
- Accepted : 2019.11.20
- Published : 2019.11.28
The purpose of this study is to investigate the effects of ego-resilience on life satisfaction and the mediating effects of school adjustment between them among first graders, and to provide basic data for improving children's life satisfaction. For this purpose, the investigator collected data from 601 first graders at 25 elementary schools in the Jeonju area and analyzed them with the SPSS 22.0 and AMOS 22.0 statistical programs. The findings were as follows: first, there were significant correlations among the three factors of children's life satisfaction, ego-resilience, and school adjustment; and secondly, both of their ego-resilience and school adjustment had impacts on their life satisfaction, and their ego-resilience had influences on their life satisfaction via school adjustment. These findings indicate that there is a need for supports at various levels to increase the school adjustment abilities of first graders as well as their ego-resilience in order to improve their life satisfaction.
- Save the Children & Seoul University. (2015). International Comparison on the Children's Quality of Life. International Symposium on Children's Quality of Life in Korea.
- Y. R. Hong, K. J. Jang & J. S. Choi. (2016) Life satisfaction and self-esteem of children from low-income class : Testing mediation model of depression. Journal of the Korean Data And Information Science Sociaty, 27(1), 179-189. https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.1.179
- G. Vailant, (2010). Aging well: Surprising guideposts to a happier life from the landmark. Seoul: Frontier.
- H. J. Jo & J. Y. Yoon. (2015). The Influence Factor of Elementary Student's Life Satisfaction. Humanities at Soonchunhyang University, 34(1), 157-187.
- S. Y. Kim. (2009). Relationships among the mobile phone addiction, Impulsivity, Self-control and School Adjustment for the Elementary School Students. Master's thesis. Sunchon National University, Sunchon.
- J. H An, Y. D. Yun & H. S. Lim (2016). The Life Satisfaction Analysis of Middle School Students Using Korean Children and Youth Panel Survey Data. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(2), 1738-1916.
- J. Y. Kim. (2008). Relations among ego-resilience, subjective well-being, stress level and coping methods perceived by elementary students. Master's thesis. Dongduk Womens, University, Seoul.
- S. H. Jang, E. H. Choi & J. Y. Lee. (2016). The Mediating Effect of Ego-resilience in the Effect of Elementary Students' Psychological Well-being on Adjustment to School Life and Everyday Life Stress. The Korean Journal Child Education, 25(2), 353-364. https://doi.org/10.17643/KJCE.2016.25.2.18
- Y. S. Park. (2000). The impact of the changing parent-child relationship on adolescent' functioning. Paper presented at the 15th of the IACCP. July 16-21, Pultusk, Poland.
- Y. G. Ku, M. S. Suk & O. S. Cho (2018). Converged Influence of Individual, Parental and Social Support Factors to the Life Satisfaction of Adolescents. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 8(2), 183-192. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2018.8.2.183
- H. J. Jang, E. S. Kim & S. Y. Song. (2014). Difference on Children's School Adjustment by Children's Personal and Family Background Variables. The Study Of Elementary Education, 27(2), 95-122.
- J. E. Park. (2016). preliminary study on the determinants of happiness among preschool children, The Korean Journal Child Education, 25(3), 76-94.
- M. E. P. Seligman. (2011). Authentic happiness. Gyeonggi: Mulpuree.
- B. W. Jo. (2017). A Study on Relation of Young Children's Ego-resilience on Mothers' Emotional Intelligence and Happiness. Journal of Future Early Childhood Education, 24(1), 91-115. 3 https://doi.org/10.22155/JFECE.188.8.131.52
- J. Taub, & M. Pearrow, (2005). Resilience through school wide violence prevention. In. S. Goldstien & R. B. Broolks(Eds.), Handbooks of resilience in children .(pp. 107-121). N.Y.: Springer.
- H. K. Kang, (2005). Family strengths and ego-resilience fo school-aged children. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 23(3), 93-102.
- Y. M. Kim & Y. S. Lim.(2013). Structural Analysis of Parental Over-Involvement, Ego-Resilience, School Adjustment, Life Satisfaction . 32Social Welfare, 15(2), 343-366.
- H. O. Kim. (2010). Effect of children's social network on self-perceived competence, ego-resiliency and psychological well-being. Master's thesis. Dongkuk University, Seoul.
- S. K. Yu & H. W. Sim. (2002). Psychological Protective Factors in Resilient Adolescents in Korea. Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, 16(4), 189-206.
- Y. S. Lee & J. A. Ryu. (2013). Mediating Effect of Self-Resilience on Social Support and School Adjustment based upon Children's Perception. Korea Journal of Counseling, 14(4), 2049-2066. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.14.4.201308.2049
- K. H. Jeon & S. Song. (2013). A Process by Which Social Capital Inside and Outside of a Family Affects Children's Adaptation to School Life: The Mediating Effects of Ego-Resilience . Korean Journal of Family Welfare, 18(1), 143-165.
- Y. J. Hwang & K. K. Kim. (2014). The effects of parental educational support on cognitive achievement of elementary school students. The Korean Journal Child Education, 20(1), 93-122.
- K. M. Kim. (2010). The correlations Between Parental Disciplinary Styles and Subjective Well-being of Students in Middle & High school - As Intermediation with Ego-resilience - . Forum For35 Youth Culture, 25, 40-74.
- G. S. Cho & Y. J. Choi (2016). The Relationship between Ego-Resilience, Mattering and School Life Adjustments of Elementary Students Participating in Physical Activity after School. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(6), 477-487. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.477
- J. Y. Kim & J. H. Ju. (2008). A Study on factors influencing the quality of Life for adolescents. Social Welfare reviews, 13, 171-190.
- H. S. Chae. (2008). The Relationship Between Ego-Resilience, Academic Failure Tolerance, and School Adjustment Among Elementary School Stude. Master's thesis. Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- S. Y. Woo. (2008). self-control and sense of humor as moderating factors for negative effects of daily hassles on school adjustment for children. Unpublished Master's Thesis. Yonsei University, Seoul.
- K. S. Han. (2013). The effects of children's character strengths on their life satisfaction and happiness. Doctoral Dissertation, Sungsan Hyo University, Incheon.
- J. S. Hong. (1996). SAS and statistical 40analysis. Seoul: Tamjin.
- J. Y. Lee & J. S. Chen. (2015). The Effect of Adolescent Internet Addiction on Academic Adjustment Focused on the Mediating Effect of Emotion Regulation. Journal of Youth Welfare, 17(1), 287-303.
- Y. G. Choi & S. M. Yu. (2014). Effects of Parental Environment, Ego-Resilience and School Adaptation on Life Satisfaction of Adolescents. Journal of Brain Education, 9(14), 125-150.
- H. L. Lee. (2007). Resilience and Risks: The Protective and Vulnerability Roles in Mental Health, School Adjustment, and Pro-social Behaviors of Adolescents. The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, 15(1), 51-66. https://doi.org/10.35151/kyci.2007.15.1.005
- A. S. Masten. (2001). Ordinary Magic: Resilience process in development. American Psychologist, 56(3), 227-238. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.56.3.227
- J. Y. Gu. (2010). The Relationships between Self-Resilience, Positive Emotion, Social Support and Adolescents' Adjustment in Family Life.School Life. Unpublished Master's Thesis. Busan University, Busan.
- Y. H. Kim. (2010). The Relation of Daily Stress and Ego-resilience to the Happiness of Children and Adolescents. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 17(12), 287-307.
- C. J. Coulton, & J. E. Korbin, (2007). Indicators of child well-being through a neighborhood lens. Social Indicators Research, 84(3), 349-361. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-007-9119-1
- S. C. Sin. (2015). The dual mediation effect of self-worth and resilience with respect to effects of school happinessof elementary schoolchildren on school life adjustment. The Korean Journal Child Education, 24(2), 265-280. https://doi.org/10.17643/KJCE.2015.24.2.15
- M. J. Her, M. H. No & Y. S. Choi. (2016). The Influence of Adolescents' Self-Esteem on Life Satisfaction: Verifying Moderated Mediation of Peer Relations Mediated by Altruism and Self-Regulation. Journal of Family Relations, 21(1), 29-40. https://doi.org/10.21321/jfr.21.1.29
- Y. G. Ku, M. S. Suk & O. S. Cho.(2018). Converged Influence of Individual, Parental and Social Support Factors to the Life Satisfaction of Adolescents. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 8(2), 183-192. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2018.8.2.183
- G. H. Park & J. M. Lee. (2014). The Effect of Parenting Behavior on Adolescents' Life Satisfaction: The Mediating Effect of Ego-Identity and School Adjustment. Korean Journal of Family Social Work, 19(4), 997-1013.
- J. Y. Her. (2004). A Study on the Relationship among Adolescents' Resilience, Peer Relation and Facilitative Communication Competence. Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Special Medical Care. Seoul Women's University, Seoul.
- J. H. Yu & H. S. Park. (2015). A Study on the Path Analysis of Influence Factor on Life Satisfaction of University Students: Focusing on mediating effect of school life adaptation. Korean Journal of Local Government & Administration Studies, 29(3), 323-347. https://doi.org/10.18398/kjlgas.2015.29.3.323