- Volume 11 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study of Simple Sleep Apnea Predictive Device Using SpO2 and Acceleration Sensor
- Woo, Seong-In (Department of Biomedical Engineering, college of Health Science, Eulji University) ;
- Lee, Merry (Department of Biomedical Engineering, college of Health Science, Eulji University) ;
- Yeom, Hojun (Department of Biomedical Engineering, college of Health Science, Eulji University)
- Received : 2019.10.08
- Accepted : 2019.10.22
- Published : 2019.11.30
Sleep apnea is a disease that causes various complications, and the polysomnography is expensive and difficult to measure. The purpose of this study is to develop an unrestricted wearable monitoring system so that patients can be examined in a familiar environment. We used a method to detect sleep apnea events and to determine sleep satisfaction by non-constrained method using SpO2 measurement sensor and 3-axis acceleration sensor. Heart rate and SpO2 were measured at the finger using max30100. After acquiring the SpO2 data of the user in real time, the apnea measurement algorithm was used to transmit the number of apnea events of the user to the mobile phone using Bluetooth (HC-06) on the wrist. Using the three-axis acceleration sensor (mpu6050) attached to the upper body, the number of times of tossing and turning during sleep was measured. Based on this data, this algorithm evaluates the patient's tossing and turning during sleep and transmits the data to the mobile phone via Bluetooth. The power source used 9 volts battery to operate Arduino UNO and sensors for portability and stability, and the data received from each sensor can be used to check the various degree between sleep apnea and sleep tossing and turning on the mobile phone. Through thisstudy, we have developed a wearable sleep apnea measurement system that can be easily used at home for the problem of low sleep efficiency of sleep apnea patients.
- T. Young, M. Palta, J. Dempsey, J. Skatrud, S. Weber, and S. Badr, "The Occurrence of Sleep-Disordered Breathing among Middle-Aged Adults," New England Journal of Medicine, Vol. 328, No. 17, pp. 1230-1235, Apr. 1993. DOI: 10.1056/nejm199304293281704. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199304293281704
- C. Guilleminault, S. J. Connolly, and R. A. Winkle, "Cardiac arrhythmia and conduction disturbances during sleep in 400 patients with sleep apnea syndrome," The American Journal of Cardiology, Vol. 52, No. 5, pp. 490-494, Sep. 1983. DOI: 10.1016/0002-9149(83)90013-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9149(83)90013-9
- K. M. Rex, D. F. Kripke, M. R. Klauber, and S. Ancoli-Israel, "Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Middle-Aged Adults Predicts No Significantly Higher Rates of Traffic Violations," Chest, Vol. 119, No. 5, pp. 1623-1624, May 2001. DOI: 10.1378/chest.119.5.1623. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.119.5.1623
- B. A. Phillips, "Prevalence of Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Middle-Aged Korean Men and Women," Yearbook of Pulmonary Disease, Vol. 2006, p. 218, Jan. 2006. DOI: 10.1016/s8756-3452(08)70178B https://doi.org/10.1016/S8756-3452(08)70178-6
- Mostafa, Mendonca, Ravelo-Garcia, and Morgado-Dias, "A Systematic Review of Detecting Sleep Apnea Using Deep Learning," Sensors, Vol. 19, No. 22, p. 4934, Nov. 2019. DOI: 10.3390/s19224934. https://doi.org/10.3390/s19224934
- D.H. Kim, E. Lee, J. Kim, P. Park, and S. H. Cho, "A Sleep Apnea Monitoring IC for Respiration, Heart-Rate, SpO2 and Pulse-Transit Time Measurement Using Thermistor, PPG and Body-Channel Communication," IEEE Sensors Journal, pp. 1-1, 2019. DOI:10.1109/jsen.2019.2950367.
- M. Deviaene, D. Testelmans, B. Buyse, P. Borzee, S. Van Huffel, and C. Varon, “Automatic Screening of Sleep Apnea Patients Based on the SpO2 Signal,” IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 607-617, Mar. 2019. DOI: 10.1109/jbhi.2018.2817368. https://doi.org/10.1109/JBHI.2018.2817368
- F. Zhai and J. Chen, "The Comparison of Polysomnography, Sleep Apnea Screening Test and Cardiopulmonary Coupling in the Diagnosis of Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome," Sleep Medicine, Vol. 40, pp. e361, Dec. 2017. DOI: 10.1016/j.sleep.2017.11.1065.
- K. Satoh and S. Mitachi, "Screening of Sleep Apnea Syndrome During a Full Medical Checkup: A Comparison Between an Optical Fiber-Type Sleep Apnea Sensor and an Overnight Pulse Oximetry," Sleep Medicine, Vol. 14, pp. e259, Dec. 2013. DOI: 10.1016/j.sleep.2013.11.631.
- T. Tengis, A. Batmunkh, "Quadcopter Stabilization Using State Feedback Controller by Pole Placement Method" International Journal of Internet, Broadcasting and Communication, Vol.9 No.1 pp.1-8, 2017
- M.Lim Choi , T. H. Ahn , N. C. Paik, Y. M. Kwon, M.J. Lim, D. K. Chung, "Implementation of Digital Hearing Aid Using Bluetooth Audio Digital Signal Processor", International Journal of Internet, Broadcasting and Communication, Vol.9 No.2, pp.58-63 , 2017.