- Volume 11 Issue 4
We design a reconfigurable optical node for metropolitan WDM networks, and numerically study the capability of the node in the optical signal level. Unlike a long-haul WDM system, major limitations of metropolitan WDM systems are power loss, fiber dispersion and optical signal-to-noise ratio(OSNR) degradation due to EDFAs. Therefore, we include the behaviors of transmitter and receiver, and fiber, EDFAs, and optical filters(MUX/DeMux) in numerical simulations with varying parameters over wide range. From simulation results, we can identify the maximum span numbers for OC-48 and OC-192 to achieve
- W. Goralsaki, Optical Networking & WDM, McGraw-Hill, pp.237-241, 2001
- G. P. Agrawal, Lightwave Technology: Telecommunication Systems, John Wiley & Sons Inc., pp.346, 2005.
- R. Ramaswami and K. N. Sivarajan, Optical Networks-A Practical Perspective, Morgan Kaufmann, 2nd Edition, pp.403, 2002.
- P. E. Green, F. J. Janniello, and R. Ramaswami, "Multichannel protocol-transparent WDM distance extension using remodulation" IEEE JSAC/JLT Special Issue on Optical Networks, 14(6), pp.962-967, June 1996
- A. Gumaste and T. Antony, DWDM Network Designs and Engineering Solutions, Cisco Press,pp.158-165.2003
- N. Hanik, A. Ehrhardt, A. Gladisch, C. Peucheret, P. Jeppesen, L. Molle, R. Freund, and C. Caspar, "Extension of all-optical network-transparent domains based on normalized transmission sections," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp.1439-1453, June 2004. DOI: 10.1109/JLT.2004.830288 https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2004.830288
- N. Costa and A. Cartaxo, "Influence of the Channel Number on the Optimal Dispersion Map Due to XPM in W DM Links," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol.26, No.22, pp. 3640-3649, Nov. 2008 DOI: 10.1109/JLT.2008.925676 https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2008.925676
- M. Y. Hamza and I. Hayee, "Performance improvement of 40Gb/s WDM systems by optimization of dispersion map," IEEE 10th International Conference on Application of Information and Communication Technologies(AICT), pp.1-5, Oct. 2016 DOI: 10.1109/ICAICT.2016.7991755
- J. H. Lee, "A Novel Method to Design an Optimum Dispersion Map for a Wavelength Division Multiplexing ring Network," Current Optics and Photonics, Vol.3, No.3, pp.193-198, June, 2019 DOI: 10.3807/COPP.2019.3.3.193
- J. H. Lee, " Design Issues on a Metropolitan WDM Ring Network," Internaltional Journal of Advanced Smart Convergence, Vol.8, No. 1, pp.35-43, March, 2019 DOI: 10.7236/IJASC.2019.8.1.35