- Volume 22 Issue 1
Effect of Breastfeeding Individual Visits Program: A Systematic Review and a Meta-Analysis
모유 수유 개별 방문 프로그램의 효과: 체계적 문헌고찰과 메타분석
- Cho, Moon-Ju (College of Nursing, Keimyung University) ;
- Kim, Hye-Young (College of Nursing, Keimyung University) ;
- Park, Seo-A (College of Nursing, Keimyung University)
- Received : 2019.07.30
- Accepted : 2019.08.26
- Published : 2019.08.31
Purpose: This study was a systematic review and meta-analysis designed to evaluate the effects of breastfeeding individual visit program. Methods: Based on the guidelines of the Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-analyses (PRISMA), a systematic search was conducted using four core electronic databases from October 28, 2018 to November 14, 2018. The topics of breastfeeding individual visit program were analyzed using descriptive analysis and the effects of intervention were meta-analyzed using the Review Manager 5.3 software. Results: A total of 13 studies were included in the review and 12 were included for meta-analysis. Breastfeeding individual visit programs were found to be more effective in breastfeeding rates, attitude, skill and self-efficacy compared to group education or non-education. Conclusion: Effective breastfeeding education can help mothers to start and sustain breastfeeding. Breastfeeding individual visits programs that are more effective than group education to maintain breastfeeding for pregnant women should be developed and applied.
- Gulick EE. Informational correlates of successful breast-feeding. MCN Am J Matern Child Nurs. 1982;7(6):370-375.
- World Health Organization. Infant and young children: Modelchapter for textbooks for medical students and allied healthprofessionals [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2009 [cited 2009 Nov 13]. Available from: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/44117/1/9789241597494_eng.pdf?ua=1.
- Kim BY, Kim JH. Influence of an early latching-on program on the breastfeeding rate. The Horizon of Nursing. 2013;10(2):97-110.
- Choi JH, Yu M. A study on the employment status, educational level, and breastfeeding among Korean mothers. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015;8(26):1-6.
- Jung SH, Kim HR, Choi YS, Bae JW. Trends of Breastfeeding Rate in Korea (1994-2012): Comparison with OECD and Other Countries. Journal of Korean medical science. 2013;28(11): 1573-1580. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2013.28.11.1573
- Choi EJ, Park EJ, Kim HR, Oh MA, Lee NH, Choi JH. Domestic Breastfeeding Survey. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. 2016. 97 p.
- Ahn SY, Koh HJ. The effect of breast-feeding education on method, attitude, and duration of breast-feeding by primipara. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 1999:5(1):18-29.
- Lee HJ. Effect of individual health education on the medical clinic of public health centers, self-efficacy, and self-care behavior in clients with hypertension. Korean Journal of Public Health Nursing. 2004;18(1):80-89.
- Kistin N, Benton D, Rao S, Sullivan M. Breast-feeding rates among black urban low-income women: Effect of prenatal education. Pediatrics. 1990;86(5);741-746.
- Rosen IM, Krueger MV, Carney LM, Graham JA. Prenatal breastfeeding education and breastfeeding outcomes. The American Journal of Maternal/child Nursing. 2008;33(5): 315-319. https://doi.org/10.14257/10.1097/01.NMC.0000334900.22215.ec https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NMC.0000334900.22215.ec
- Kim JK, Choi HM, Ryu EJ. Postnatal breastfeeding knowledge, techniques and rates of first - time mothers depending on a prenatal breastfeeding education method. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2011;17(1):90-99. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.1.090
- Jeong GH. Effects of breastfeeding promotion nursing intervention program on maternal breastfeeding practices. [dissertation]. Seoul: Ewha Womans University; 1997. 133 p.
- Yu YR, Park SY. Effect of breast-feeding attitude and breastfeeding practice by individual breast-feeding promotion program. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2013;14(7):3310-3318. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.7.3310
- Lee EJ. The effects of prenatal breastfeeding education on breastfeeding practice and knowledge. [master's thesis]. Daegu: Keimyung University; 1997. 60 p.
- Song SM. Effects of the breastfeeding empowerment program on breastfeeding self-efficacy, adaptation and persistence of primiparous women. [master's thesis]. Gwangju: Nambu University; 2015. 104 p.
- Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. NJ: L. Lawrence Earlbaum Associates; 1988.
- Choi YJ, Kim, MO. Effect of a breastfeeding management program on breastfeeding duration. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2007:13(4):245-253. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2007.13.4.245
- Yun SE, Lee HK. The effects of breast-feeding adaptation, attitude and practice of primipara depending on method of postpartum breast-feeding education. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2012;18(2):75-84. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2012.18.2.75
- Kim SH. Development of breastfeeding adaptation measurement tool. Journal of the Korean Academy of Nursing. 2009; 39(2):259-269. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.2.259
- Lee ES, Suh YS. Effects of breastfeeding education program on the promotion of mothers's feeding compliance. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 1996;2(1):59-75.
- Sung MH, Kim DH. Effects of breast-feeding education and continuous phone counseling on the promotion of breast-feeding compliance. Journal of The Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health. 2003;7(2):167-178.
- Um JW, Lee IS, Hwang MS, Kim EJ, Kim MS. The effect of a breast-feeding educational program by postpartum home health care on the promotion of mother's feeding compliance. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2000;6(1):49-71.
- Park MK, Moon SH. Effects of an individual breast-feeding promotion program for married immigrant women. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2016;46(1):128-139 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.1.128
- Park SO, Jee YJ. The effects of breastfeeding support program on the attitude and knowledge of breastfeeding, level of Na+ within milk, and continued breastfeeding. Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology. 2015;5(1):11-20. https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.02.09
- Kim YM. Effects of a breast-feeding empowerment program on exclusive breast-feeding. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2009;39(2):279-287. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.2.279
- Song SM, Park MK. Effects of breastfeeding empowerment program on breastfeeding self-efficacy, adaptation and continuation in primiparous women. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2016;46(3):409-419. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.3.409
- Suh YS, Lee ES. The effect of breast feeding promotion program on the changes in confidence towards the breast feeding practice. Journal of the Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health. 1998;2(1):13-27.
- Park IH, Hwang NM. Analysis of actual condition of breastfeeding and challenges of support policy. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs; 1994. 117 p.
- Son IA. Factors affecting breastfeeding knowledge, attitude and practice rate. [master's thesis]. Seoul: Hanyang University; 2007. 65 p.
- Jang GJ, Kim SH. Effects of continuous breastfeeding support on breastfeeding practice by phone counseling after discharge. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2010;16(2):117-126.