- Volume 47 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Moisture Content Change of Korean Red Pine Logs During Air Drying: II. Prediction of Moisture Content Change of Korean Red Pine Logs under Different Air Drying Conditions
소나무 원목의 천연건조 중 함수율 변화: II. 소나무 원목의 천연건조 중 함수율 변화 예측
- HAN, Yeonjung (Department of Forest Products, National Institute of Forest Science) ;
- CHANG, Yoon-Seong (Department of Forest Products, National Institute of Forest Science) ;
- EOM, Chang-Deuk (Department of Forest Products, National Institute of Forest Science) ;
- LEE, Sang-Min (Department of Forest Products, National Institute of Forest Science)
- Received : 2019.10.11
- Accepted : 2019.10.28
- Published : 2019.11.25
Air drying was carried out on 15 Korean red pine logs to provide a prediction model of the moisture content (MC) change in the wood during drying. The final MC was 17.4% after 880 days since the beginning of air drying in the summer for 6 Korean red pine logs with 68.7% initial MC. The final MC was 16.0% after 760 days since the beginning of air drying in the winter for 9 Korean red pine logs with 35.8% initial MC. A regression model with R-squared of 0.925 was obtained as a result of multiple regression analyses with initial MC, top diameter, temperature, relative humidity, and wind speed as independent variable and and MC change during air drying as dependent variable. The initial MC and top diameter, which is the characteristic of Korean red pine, have greater effect on the MC decrease during air drying compared to meteorological factors such as the temperature, relative humidity, and wind speed. Two-dimensional mass transfer analysis was performed to predict the MC distribution of Korean red pine logs during air drying. Two prediction models with different air drying days and different meteorological factors for the determination of the diffusion coefficient and surface emission coefficient were presented. The error between the different two methods ranged from 0.1 to 0.8% and the difference from the measured value ranged from 2.2 to 3.6%. By measuring the internal MC during air drying of Korean pine logs with various initial MC and diameter, and calculating the moisture transfer coefficient in wood for each meteorological condition, the error of the prediction model can be reduced.
air drying;moisture content distribution;mass transfer;finite difference method;Korean red pine
- Denig, J., Wengert, E. 1982. Estimating air-drying moisture content loss for red oak and yellow-poplar lumber. Forest Products Journal 32(2): 26-31.
- Han, Y., Seo, Y.O., Jung, S.C., Eom, C.D. 2016. Prediction of heat-treatment time of black pine log damaged by pine wilt disease. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 44(3): 370-380. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2016.44.3.370
- Han, Y., Eom, C.D., Lee, S.M., Park, Y. 2019. Moisture content change of Korean red pine logs during air drying: I. Effective air drying days in major regions in Korea. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 47(6): 721-731.
- Hart, C.A. 1982. SIMSOR: A computer simulation of water sortpion in wood. Wood and Fiber 13(1): 46-71.
- Hollman, J.P. 1989. Heat Transfer (SI metric ed.). McGraw-Hill, Sydney, Australia, pp. 676.
- Jung, H.S. 1985. Study on air-drying characteristics of Taun lumber and air-drying calendar (I). Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 13(3): 27-33.
- Jung, H.S., Lee, N.H., Lee, J.H., Kwon, J.Y. 1997. Comparison of air-drying process in four seasons for some softwood lumbers. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 25(1): 28-36.
- Jung, H.S., Lee, C.H., Kang, W., Eom, C.D. 2003. Air-drying curve and moisture content distribution of softwood square timber. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 31(1): 27-31.
- Kamke, F.A., Vaneck, M. 1994. Comparison of wood drying models. Paper presented at the 4th IUFRO International Wood Drying Conference, Rotorua, New Zealand, pp. 1-21.
- Kim, H.B., Han, Y., Park, Y., Yang, S.Y., Chung, H., Eom, C.D., Lee, H.M., Yeo, H. 2017. Finite Difference Evaluation of Moisture Profile in Boxed-heart Large-cross-section Square Timber of Pinus densiflora during High Temperature Drying. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 45(6): 762-771.
- Korea Meteorological Administration. http://data.kma.go.kr
- Lee, C.J., Lee, N.H., Park, M.J., Park, J.S., Eom, C.D. 2014. Effect of reserve air-drying of Korean pine heavy timbers on high-temperature and low-humidity drying characteristics. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 42(1): 49-57. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2014.42.1.49
- Lee, H.W., Jung, H.S. 1989. The comparative analysis of drying-conditions, -rates, -defects and -yield, and heat-efficiency in solar-dehumidification-drying of oaks with those in conventional air-, semigreenhouse type solar-, and kiln-drying. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 17: 22-54.
- McMillen, J.M., Wengert, E.M. 1978. Drying eastern hardwood lumber. Agric. Handb. 528. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, pp. 104.
- Perré, P., Moser, M., Martin, M. 1993. Advances in transport phenomena during convective drying with superheated steam and moist air. Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 36(11): 2725-2746. https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(93)90093-L
- Ranta-Maunus, A. 1994. Computation of moisture transport and drying stresses by a 2-D FE-programme. Paper presented at the 4th IUFRO International Wood Drying Conference, Rotorua, New Zealand, pp. 187-194.
- Rietz, R.C., Page, R.H. 1971. Air drying of lumber: A guide to industry practice. Agric. Handb. 402. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, pp. 110.
- Simpson, W.T., Hart, C.A. 2000. Method for estimating air-drying times of lumber. Forest Products Journal 51(11/12): 56-63.
- Siau, J.F. 1995. Wood: Influence of moisture on physical properties, Blacksburg, VA, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, pp. 227.
- Sutherland, J.W., Turner, I., Northway, R.L. 1992. A theoretical and experimental investigation of the convective drying of Australian pinus radiata timber. Paper presented at the 3rd IUFRO International Wood Drying Conference, Vienna, Austria, pp. 145-155.
- Yeo, H., Smith, W.B. 2005. Development of a convective mass transfer coefficient conversion method. Wood Fiber Science 37(1): 3-13.