- Volume 33 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Vulnerability assessment of drought of small island areas in Korea
읍면 단위 도서지역의 가뭄 취약성 평가
- Shim, Intae (Research institute at P&I Humankorea Inc) ;
- Hong, Bongchang (Research institute at P&I Humankorea Inc) ;
- Kim, Eunju (Water Resources & Environment Research Department, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology) ;
- Hwang, Tae-Mun (Water Resources & Environment Research Department, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology)
- 심인태 ((주)피앤아이휴먼코리아 기업부설연구소) ;
- 홍봉창 ((주)피앤아이휴먼코리아 기업부설연구소) ;
- 김은주 (한국건설기술연구원 국토보전연구본부) ;
- 황태문 (한국건설기술연구원 국토보전연구본부)
- Received : 2019.08.27
- Accepted : 2019.09.23
- Published : 2019.10.15
The purpose of this study was to evaluate vulnerability of drought in small island areas. Vulnerability assessment factors of drought were selected by applying the factor analysis. Ninety Eup/Myon areas in small island were evaluated to vulnerability of drought by entropy method adapting objective weights. Vulnerability consisted of climate exposure, sensitivity, and adaptive capacity. A total of 22 indicators were used to evaluate and analyze vulnerability of drought in small island areas. The results of entropy method showed that winter rainfall, no rainfall days, agricultural population rate, cultivation area rate, water supply rate and groundwater capacity have a significant impact on drought assessment. The overall assessment of vulnerability indicated that Seodo-myeon Ganghwa-gun, Seolcheon-myeon Namhae-gun and Samsan-myeon Ganghwa-gun were the most vulnerable to drought. Especially Ganghwa-gun should be considered policy priority to establish drought measures in the future, because it has a high vulnerability of drought.
Supported by : 한국환경산업기술원
- Baeck, S.H. (2016). Development of water use and flood vulnerability indices for watershed, Doctor's Thesis, Incheon National University.
- Bengraiine, K. and Marhaba, T.F. (2003). Using principal component analysis to monitor spatial and temporal changes in water quality, J. Hazard. Mater., 100(1-3), 179-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3894(03)00104-3
- Choi, H.I., Park, S.Y., Song, J.H. and Park, M.J. (2013). Identification of flood risk areas using a multi-criteria decision making method, J. Korean Soc. Hazard Mitig., 13(2), 237-244. https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2013.13.2.237
- Guttman N.B. (1999). Accepting the standardized precipitation index: A calculation algorithm, J. Am. Water Resour. Assoc., 35(2), 311-322. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.1999.tb03592.x
- Han, J.K. (2015). Underground storage facility development for securing drinking water sources in island region, Master's Thesis, Chonnam National University.
- Hobbins, M.T., Wood, A., McEvoy, D.J., Huntington, J.L., Morton, C., Anderson, M. and Hain, C. (2016). The evaporative demand drought index. Part I: Linking drought evolution to variations in evaporative demand, J. Hydrometeorol., 17(6), 1745-1761. https://doi.org/10.1175/JHM-D-15-0121.1
- Hwang, H.S. (2012). An index and evaluation of vulnerability to climate change in urban area, Master's Thesis, Inha University.
- IPCC. (2001). Climate change 2001: Impacts, adaptation and vulnerability, Third Assessment Report. McCarthy et al. (Eds). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- IPCC. (2007). Climate change 2007: Impacts, adaptation, and vulnerability, Fourth Assessment Report. Cambridge, University Press. Cambridge, UK.
- Kim, J.E., Park, J.Y., Lee, J.H. and Kim, T.W. (2019). Socioeconomic vulnerability assessment of drought using principal component analysis and entropy method, J. Korea Water Resour. Assoc., 52(6), 441-449. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2019.52.6.441
- Kim, K.Y., Park, H.J., Kim, T.I. and Han, M.Y. (2014). Evaluation of stored rainwater quality and economic efficiency at Yangdo elementary rainwater harvesting system, J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 36(5), 333-341. https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2014.36.5.333
- Kim, S.H., Lee, M.H. and Bae, D.H. (2016). Estimation and assessment of natural drought index using principal component analysis, J. Korea Water Resour. Assoc., 49(6), 565-577. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2016.49.6.565
- Ko, J.K. and Kim, H.S., Gyeonggi Research Institute. (2019). A study on vulnerability assessment to climate change in Gyeonggi-Do, Policy Studies 2009-37, 5.
- Lee, S.W., Na, S.H. and Byeon, S.J. (2018). A study on rainwater use for alternative water resources in the region - focusing on island and mountain villages, 14(5), 77-89.
- Lee, Y.H., Hong, W.H. and Lee, J.S. (2014). The vulnerability assessment of water supply through the analysis of emergency water shortage in cut off water supply-prone island area, The Architectural Institute of Korea, 30(1), 253-260. https://doi.org/10.5659/JAIK_PD.2014.30.1.253
- Lim, B., Spanger-Siefgried, E. and UNDP. (2005). Adaptation policy frameworks for climate change: Developing strategies, policies, and measures, Cambridge University Press, USA.
- Lim, C.H. (2016). A study on vulnerability assessment for forest fires according to climate change in Jeju-si and Seogwipo-si, Fire Sci. Eng., 30(1), 57-62. https://doi.org/10.7731/KIFSE.2016.30.1.057
- M.T. Frohlich, and R. Westbrook. (2001). Arcs of integration: an international study of supply chain strategies, J. Oper. Manag., 19(2), 185-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-6963(00)00055-3
- Moon, Y.R., Kang, Y.S. and Park, N.S., Korea Environment Institute. (2009). A study of water supply and use in small islands, KEI Res. Rep., 2009-02, 1-3.
- Moon, Y.R., Lee, M.J. and Kim, J.G., Korea Environment Institute. (2010). Guideline for environmentally friendly water supply plans in small islands, KEI Res. Rep., 2010-08, 1-3.
- Myeong, S.J. and Yi, D.G. (2009). Assessing vulnerability to climate change of the physical infrastructure in Korea through a survey of professionals, J. Environ. Impact Assess., 18(6), 347-357.
- Park, D.S., Park, B.Y. and Jung, E.H. (2017). Guidelines for the VESTAP-based climate change vulnerability assessment, J. Clim. Change Res., 8(4), 339-346. https://doi.org/10.15531/ksccr.2017.8.4.339
- Park, J.H., Choi, S.M., Cho, E.J., Kim, Y.T. and Park, S.Y. (2013). Demographic transition in Eup/Myon-level island areas in rural Korea, J. Korean Soc. Rural Pla., 19(1), 11-21. https://doi.org/10.7851/ksrp.2013.19.1.011
- Park, J.Y., Yoo, J.Y., Lee, M.W. and Kim, T.W. (2012). Assessment of drought risk in Korea: Focused on data-based drought risk map, J. Civ. Eng., 32(4), 203-211.
- Seong, J.H. and Byun, Y.S. (2016). A study on the weights of the condition evaluation of rock slope used in entropy and AHP method, J. Korean Soc. Saf., 31(5), 61-66. https://doi.org/10.14346/JKOSOS.2016.31.5.61
- Sun, W., Areikat, S., United Nations. (2013). Establishing drought early warning systems in west Asia and north Africa, UN Rep., 8-13.
- Yang, J.S., and Kim, I.H. (2013). Development of drought vulnerability index using delphi method considering climate change and trend analysis in Nakdong River basin, J. Civ. Eng., 33(6), 2245-2254.
- Yang, J.S., Park, J.H. and Kim, N.K. (2012). Development of drought vulnerability index using trend analysis, J. Civ. Eng., 32(3B), 185-192.
- Yoo, G.Y. and Kim, I.H. (2008). Development and application of a climate change vulnerability index, Korea Environment Institute Press, Sejong, Korea.