- Volume 21 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Ageism, Attitudes Toward Aging, and Body Satisfaction by Subjective Socioeconomic and Health Status Among Older Women
주관적 사회경제적 지위와 건강 인식 수준에 따른 노년 여성의 연령주의, 노화에 대한 태도, 신체만족도 비교 연구
- Yu, Haekyung (Dept. of Fashion Industry, Incheon National University) ;
- Lee, Minsun (Center for Perception and Behavioral Research, Incheon National University)
- Received : 2019.07.19
- Accepted : 2019.08.30
- Published : 2019.10.30
Ageism, attitudes toward aging, and body satisfaction play significant roles in determining older women's perceptions of successful aging. In addition, subjective socioeconomic and health status can act as major identifiers in determining the overall level of physical and social well-being in old age. Research for this exploratory study includes: 1) exploring the overall levels of ageism perception, attitudes toward aging, and body satisfaction among older women and 2) identifying the differences in ageism, attitudes toward aging, and body satisfaction between high and low subjective socioeconomic and health status of older women. Data for this study were collected through an online questionnaire of 221 older women. The results revealed that older women's perceptions of ageism, aging attitudes, and body satisfaction were significantly different based on subjective socioeconomic and health status. In general, older women with higher levels of subjective socioeconomic and health status reported more positive perceptions and attitudes toward aging along with higher levels of body satisfaction. The results implied that subjective health status was a more powerful indicator differentiating the aging-related perceptions of older women than the subjective socioeconomic status. This study supports the need for a conscious effort to reduce ageism that ultimately improves the overall well-being of all members in society.
- Adler, N., & Stewart, J. (2007). The MacArthur Scale of Subjective Social Status. Retrieved from https://macses.ucsf.edu/research/psychosocial/subjective.php
- Angus, J., & Reeve, P. (2006). Ageism: A threat to "aging well" in the 21st century. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 25(2), 137-152. doi:10.1177/0733464805285745 https://doi.org/10.1177/0733464805285745
- Bielderman, A., de Greef, M. H. G., Krijnen, W. P., & van der Schans, C. P. (2015). Relationship between socioeconomic status and quality of life in older adults: A path analysis. Quality of Life Research, 24(7), 1679-1705. doi:10.1007/s11136-014-0898-y
- Calasanti, T. (2016). Combating ageism: How successful is successful aging?. Gerontologist, 56(6), 1093-1101. doi:10.1093/geront/gnv076 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnv076
- Chrisler, J. C., Barney, A., & Palatino, B. (2016). Ageism can be hazardous to women's health: Ageism, sexism, and stereotypes of older women in the healthcare system. Journal of Social Issues, 72(1), 86-104. doi:10.1111/josi.12157 https://doi.org/10.1111/josi.12157
- Chun, H. R., & Kim, I. H. (2013). Ageism and health: Focus on socioeconomic factors. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 33(3), 601-615.
- Cohen, S., Alper, C. M., Doyle, W. J., Adler, N., & Treanor, J. J. (2008). Objective and subjective socioeconomic status and susceptibility to the common cold. Health Psychology, 27(2), 268-274. doi:10.1037/0278-6220.127.116.118 https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-618.104.22.1688
- Havighurst, R. (1961). Developmental tasks and education. New York, NY: David McKay.
- Jang, Y. E., & Kim, S. Y. (2014). Age-friendly socio-economic environment’s effect on the life satisfaction of rural elderly. Locality and Globality, 38(3), 255-284. doi:10.33071/ssricb.38.3.201412.255 https://doi.org/10.33071/ssricb.38.3.201412.255
- Kim, J. H. (2012). Ageism survey: A report on instrument development. Korea Journal of Population Studies, 35(1), 53-75.
- Kim, J. Y. (2007). The relationship between socioeconomic status and health in Korea: Focusing on age variations. Korean Journal of Sociology, 41(3), 127-153.
- Kim, S. H., Jeong, J. H., & Song, J. Y. (2018). The effect of socioeconomic status of elderly on life satisfaction: Focused on the mediating effects of participation in formal and informal social activities. Korean Journal of Gerontological Social Welfare, 73(3), 167-191. https://doi.org/10.21194/kjgsw.73.3.201809.167
- Kim, I. H., Noh, S., & Chun, H. R. (2016). Mediating and moderating effects in ageism and depression among the Korean elderly: The roles of emotional reactions and coping responses. Osong Public Health and Research Perspectives, 7(1), 3-11. doi:10.1016/j.phrp. 2015.11.012 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrp.2015.11.012
- Kontis, V., Bennett, J. E., Mathers, C. D., Li, G., Foreman, K., & Ezzati, M. (2017). Future life expectancy in 35 industrialised countries: Projections with a Bayesian model ensemble. The Lancet, 389(10076), 1323-1335. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(16)32381-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)32381-9
- Laidlaw, K., Kishita, N., Shenkin, S. D., & Power, M. J. (2018). Development of a short form of the Attitudes to Ageing Questionnaire (AAQ). International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 33(1), 113-121. doi:10.1002/gps.4687 https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.4687
- Lee, S. S. (2009). A study on self-esteem and physical satisfaction of the elderly women. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 29(2), 547-562.
- Lerner, R. M., & Busch-Rossnagel, N. A. (1981). Individuals as producers of their development. New York, NY: Academic Press.
- Officer, A., Schneiders, M. L., Wu, D., Nash, P., Thiyagarajan, J. A., & Beard, J. R. (2016). Valuing older people: time for a global campaign to combat ageim. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 94(10), 710-710A. doi:10.2471/BLT.16.184960 https://doi.org/10.2471/BLT.16.184960
- Pila, E., Solomon-Krakus, S., Egelton, K., & Sabiston, C. M. (2018). "I am a fat baby, who moved to a fat child, who moved to a fat teenager, who moved to a fat adult": Women's reflections of a lifetime of body and weight concern. Journal of Women & Aging, 30(2), 158-77. doi:10.1080/08952841.2017.1295669 https://doi.org/10.1080/08952841.2017.1295669
- Pinquart, M., & Sorensen, S. (2000). Influences of socioeconomic status, social network, and competence of subjective well-being in later life: A meta-analysis. Psychology and Aging, 15(2), 187-224. doi:10.1037/0882-7922.214.171.124 https://doi.org/10.1037/0882-79126.96.36.199
- Sabik, N. J. (2015). Ageism and body esteem: Associations with psychological well-being among late middle-aged African American and European American women. Journal of Gerontology, Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 70(2), 191-201. doi:10.1093/geronb/gbt080 https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/gbt080
- Seeman, T. E., Berkman, L. F., Charpentier, P. A., Blazer, D. G., Albert, M. S., & Tinetii, M. E. (1995). Behavioral and psychosocial predictors of physical performance: MacArthur studies of successful aging. Journal of Gerontology Series A, 50A(4), M177-M183. doi:10.1093/gerona/50A.4.M177 https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/50A.4.M177
- Seeman, T. E., Crimmins, E., Huang, M. H., Singer, B., Bucur, A., Gruenewald, T., ... & Reuben, D. B. (2004). Cumulative biological risk and socio-economic differences in mortality: MacArthur studies of successful aging. Social Science & Medicine, 58(10), 1985-1997. doi:10.1016/S0277-9536(03)00402-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(03)00402-7
- Swift, H. J., Abrams, D., Lamont, R. A., & Drury, L. (2017). The risks of ageism model: How ageism and negative attitudes toward age can be a barrier to active aging. Social Issues and Policy Review, 11(1), 195-231. doi:10.1111/sipr.12031 https://doi.org/10.1111/sipr.12031
- The EuroQoL Group. (1990). EuroQoL: A new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life. Health Policy, 16(3), 199-208. doi:10.1016/0168-8510(90)90421-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-8510(90)90421-9
- Yu, H. K., & Lee, M. S. (2019). The effects of perceived ageism and appearance satisfaction on appearance related quality of life among Korean older women. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 43(1), 112-124. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2019.43.1.112 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2019.43.1.112
- Yu, J. S. (2016). A study on R&D program for the aging society. Journal of Korea Safety Management & Science, 18(3), 109-116. doi:10.12812/ksms.2016.18.3.109 https://doi.org/10.12812/ksms.2016.18.3.109
- Whitebourne, S. K., & Sneed, J. R. (2002). The paradox of well-being, identity processes, and stereotype threat: Ageism and its potential relationships to the self in later life. In T. D. Nelson (Ed.), Ageism: Stereotyping and prejudice against older persons (pp. 247-273), London: The MIT Press.