- Volume 21 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A study on Characteristics of Chinese Style Reflected in the Vivienne Tam Collection
비비안 탐 컬렉션에 나타난 중국풍 디자인 특성 연구
- Jiang, Lanying (Dept. of Fashion, Graduate school of Kookmin University) ;
- Park, Juhee (Dept. of Fashion Design, Kookmin University)
- Received : 2019.04.23
- Accepted : 2019.07.12
- Published : 2019.10.30
This study examined the Chinese style in the Vivienne Tam collection as well as explored diversity and modern interpretation of a Chinese style used in modern fashion. The study also investigated the concept and history of the Chinese style as well as analyzed the Chinese style in the collection based on a consideration of a Chinese element that is the basic structure with an understanding of Vivienne Tam and general collection themes. As a result of research, the Chinese style appeared in the Vivienne Tam collection was comprehensive with 43 Chinese elements including Animals, Flower & Grass among the Nature elements, Mythology Religion among the Figure elements, Historical Artifacts, Clothing, Oral Literature, Entertainment, Fine Arts. Technique, Folk holiday among Culture elements and Philosophy among Spirit elements, which accounted for 57.6% of the collection. The formative characteristics that included Chinese elements were extended, abstracted, distorted or transformed; in addition, some abstract elements were embodied into animals, images and certain particular forms to present a theme. In addition to two-dimensional method to print Chinese elements on fabric, they were also expressed as a three-dimensional texture or a silhouette, achieving clear and bold harmony. The aesthetic characteristic is a mixture of Eastern and Western way of thinking. Her costume has a political and historical meaning beyond the imitation of elements that represent the development of a pleasant and interesting design.
- Bamboo, Vivienne Tam 2003 F/W. (n. d.). Livingly. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from www.livingly.com/runway/Vivienne+Tam/New+York+Fashion+Week+Fall+2003/mUaKoC_hIhZ
- Bao, M. X. (1987). Chinoiserie in european textiles and costume. Journal of China Textile University, 13(1), 91-97.
- Bellyband. (2015, February 22). Lsgushi. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from https://www.lsgushi.com/yeshi/6823_4.html
- Bolton, A. (2015). China: Through the looking glass. New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Buddha of Shakyamuni, Dunhuang Frescoes, Vivienne Tam 2014 F/W. (2014, February 10). Vogue. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2014-ready-to-wear/vivienne-tam/slideshow/collection#33
- Calligraphy, Vivienne Tam 2013 F/W. (2013, February 10). Vogue. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2013-ready-to-wear/vivienne-tam/slideshow/collection#21
- Chinese Zodiac Signs. Vivienne Tam 2010 F/W. (2010, February 13.). Vogue. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2010-ready-to-wear/vivienne-tam/slideshow/collection#4
- Chinoiserie Painting, Vivienne Tam 2015 F/W. (2015, February 17). Vogue. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2015-ready-to-wear/vivienne-tam/slideshow/collection#5
- Classic of Mountains and Seas, Vivienne Tam 2018 S/S. (2017, September 11). Vogue. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2018-ready-to-wear/vivienne-tam/slideshow/collection#15
- Dawn, J. (1993). Chinoiserie. London: Phaidon Press Ltd.
- Dunhuang frescoes. (n.d.). Meiwen. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from http://www.mayoor.net.cn/u0087uc.html
- Dunhuang frescoes, Vivienne Tam 2014 F/W. (2014, February 10). Vogue. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from http://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2014-ready-to-wear/vivienne-tam/slideshow/collection#27
- French porcelain clock. (2018, January 23). Sohu. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from http://www.sohu.com/a/218627941_99893488
- Honour, H. (2017). Chinoiserie: The vision of cathay. (A. Y. Liu & H. Qin Trans.). China: Xin Hua bookstore. (Original work published 1973)
- Joo, Y. S., & Kim, M. J. (2006). Chinoiserie in the eighteenth-century rococo fashion. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 56(1), 13-31.
- Kannon Bodhisattva. Vvienne Tam 2017 S/S. (n.d.). Met Museum. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/113020
- Kim, M. E., & Bae, S. J. (2014). A comparative analysis on the costume patterns between 18th century France and Chinese Qing dynasty. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 64(7), 29-44. https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2014.64.7.029
- Liang, C. (2007). Chinoiserie 的世界-歐美文藝作品中的中國風土 [The world of Chinoiserie-The Chinese style in european and american literary works]. New Arts, 4(28), 69-74.
- Ma, Y. M. (2015). A study on Chinese element system and related issues. Journal of Advertising Study, 15(5), 12-17.
- Magpie, Plum, Flower and Bird Painting, Vvienne Tam 2015 S/S. (2014, September 8). Vogue. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2015-ready-to-wear/vivienne-tam/slideshow/collection#5
- Mahjong. (2014, September 26). Sina. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_c11ed5070102v1zh.html
- Mahjong, Vivienne Tam 2016 S/S. (2015, September 15). Vogue. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2016-ready-to-wear/vivienne-tam/slideshow/collection#37
- Mao Zedong, Vivienne Tam 1995 S/S. (2014, September 9). Fidm museum. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from https://blog.fidmmuseum.org/museum/2014/09/vivienne-tam-mao-dress-1995.html
- Mickey and Minnie, Vivienne Tam 2008 F/W. (n.d.). Livingly. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from https://www.livingly.com/runway/Vivienne+Tam/New+York+Fashion+Week+Fall+2008/f3V6rgovQmF
- Orchid, Vivienne Tam 2012 S/S. (2015, September 15). Vogue. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2012-ready-to-wear/vivienne-tam/slideshow/collection#13
- Paper-cut. (2017, October 8). Sohu. Retrieved October 17, 2019, http://www.sohu.com/a/190778900_774694
- Qiao, D. (2012). A study on the aesthetic characteristics of Chinese chic in contemporary fashion design. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Shangri-La Ethnic Clothing, Vinenne Tam 2012 F/W. (2012, February 15). Vogue. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from http://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2012-ready-to-wear/vivienne-tam/slideshow/collection#38
- Tam, V. (2000). China chic. New York: Harper collins.
- Tibetan costume. (2017, August 24). Souhu Baike. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from https://baike.sogou.com/historylemma?lId=143243&cId=165604461
- Tie-dyed, Vivienne Tam 2017 S/S. (2013, September 23). Vogue. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2017-ready-to-wear/vivienne-tam/slideshow/collection#30
- Trianon de Porcelaine. (2012, April 19). Architectural Watercolors. Retrieved October 17, 2019, https://architecturalwatercolors.blogspot.com/search?q=Trianon%C2%A0Porcelaine
- Unity between man and nature. (2017, November 13). Baidu Baike. Retrieved October 17, 2019, https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E5% A4%A9%E4%BA%BA%E5%90%88%E4%B8%80/22116801
- Wang, M. M. (2011). Analysis on differences in the influence of chinese elements on chinese and foreign designers. Unpublished master's thesis, Shenyang Aerospace University, Shenyang.
- Wang, S. (2017). A study on the chinese style design in contemporary fashion collection. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Yin Yang five element. (2018, September 28). Sinna. Retrieved October 17, 2019, http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_18f16d2cb0102y4i3.html
- Yuanmingyuan Zodiac animal head. (2019, April 10). Baidu Baike. Retrieved October 17, 2019, https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E5% 9C%86%E6%98%8E%E5%9B%AD%E5%8D%81%E4%BA%8C%E7%94%9F%E8%82%96%E5%85%BD%E9%A6%96%E9%93%9C%E5%83%8F/1891970?fr=aladdin
- Zhu, T. (2015). China chic-research and application of Tan Yanyu design style. Unpublished master's thesis, Hunan Normal University. Hunan.
- The Goddess Thvo Chvu in the island of Hainane. (n.d.). The British Museum. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from https://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_ details/collection_ image_gallery.aspx?partid=1&assetid=1612927349& objectid=1404022
- Kunqu opera clothing. (2012, July 18). Sina. Retrieved October 17, 2019, http://blog.sina.cn/dpool/blog/s/blog_4cc8c4c601015de9.html
- 12 Chinese Zodiac signs. (2009, May 27). Nipic. Retrieved October 17, 2019, http://www.nipic.com/show/1881193.html
- Dragon, Kunqu Opera Clothing, Vivienne Tam 2011 F/W. (2011, February 12). Vogue. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2011-ready-to-wear/vivienne-tam/slideshow/collection#15