- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Two-Dimensional Attention-Based LSTM Model for Stock Index Prediction
- Yu, Yeonguk (Dept. of Computer Engineering, Hanbat National University) ;
- Kim, Yoon-Joong (Dept. of Computer Engineering, Hanbat National University)
- Received : 2019.07.01
- Accepted : 2019.09.04
- Published : 2019.10.31
This paper presents a two-dimensional attention-based long short-memory (2D-ALSTM) model for stock index prediction, incorporating input attention and temporal attention mechanisms for weighting of important stocks and important time steps, respectively. The proposed model is designed to overcome the long-term dependency, stock selection, and stock volatility delay problems that negatively affect existing models. The 2D-ALSTM model is validated in a comparative experiment involving the two attention-based models multi-input LSTM (MI-LSTM) and dual-stage attention-based recurrent neural network (DARNN), with real stock data being used for training and evaluation. The model achieves superior performance compared to MI-LSTM and DARNN for stock index prediction on a KOSPI100 dataset.
Attention Mechanism;LSTM;Stock Index Prediction;Two-Dimensional Attention
Supported by : Hanbat National University
- J. Cao and J, Wang, "Stock price forecasting model based on modified convolution neural network and financial time series analysis," International Journal Communication and Systems, vol. 32, no. 12, article no. e3987, 2019.
- K. Greff, R. K. Srivastava, J. Koutnik, B. R. Steunebrink, and J. Schmidhuber, "LSTM: a search space odyssey," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 2222-2232, 2016.
- E. W. Saad, D. V. Prokhorov and D. C. Wunsch, "Comparative study of stock trend prediction using time delay, recurrent and probabilistic neural networks," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1456-1470, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/72.728395
- Z. Berradi and M. Lazaar, "Integration of principal component analysis and recurrent neural network to forecast the stock price of Casablanca stock exchange," Procedia Computer Science, vol. 148, pp. 55-61, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2019.01.008
- D. L. Minh, A. Sadeghi-Niaraki, H. D. Huy, K. Min, and H. Moon, "Deep learning approach for short-term stock trends prediction based on two-stream gated recurrent unit network," IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 55392-55404, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2868970
- Y. Baek and H. Y. Kim, "ModAugNet: a new forecasting framework for stock market index value with an overfitting prevention LSTM module and a prediction LSTM module," Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 113, pp. 457-480, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2018.07.019
- D. Bahdanau, K. Cho, and Y. Bengio, "Neural machine translation by jointly learning to align and translate," 2014 [Online]. Available: https://arxiv.org/abs/1409.0473.
- G. Liu and X. Wang, "A numerical-based attention method for stock market prediction with dual information," IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 7357-7367, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2886367
- H. Li, Y. Shen, and Y. Zhu. "Stock price prediction using attention-based multi-Input LSTM," in Proceedings of the 10th Asian Conference on Machine Learning, Beijing, China, 2018, pp. 454-469.
- Y. Qin, D. Song, H. Cheng, W. Cheng, G. Jiang, and G. Cottrell, "A dual-stage attention-based recurrent neural network for time series prediction," in Proceedings of the 26th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Melbourne, Australia, 2017, pp. 2627-2633.